Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Source Link 

The NFLs new best quarterback rivalry will commence on Sept. 13 at Lambeau Field.

No one can say for sure how Jay Cutler will fare with the Chicago Bears, just like no one can say for sure how the Aaron Rodgers Era will proceed in Green Bay. But everything about these two former first-round draft picks suggests this will be a matchup worth watching in the coming years.

Both quarterbacks assumed NFC North Division starting jobs amid controversy Cutler in a messy divorce with the Denver Broncos, who traded him to the Bears on Thursday, and Rodgers amid the messy divorce of the Packers and Brett Favre last summer.

Both assumed the mantle under high, if not wholly unrealistic expectations Cutler as the antidote for a quarterback-sick franchise, Rodgers as the antichrist to those who worshipped his legendary predecessor.

Both have put up gaudy statistics, but neither has gotten a team to the playoffs, much less won a game there. Their combined record as NFL starters is 23-30.

Both figure to have plenty of chances, though. Rodgers got his new contract last fall, with $20 million guaranteed on a deal that runs through 2014. Cutler is halfway through his six-year, $48 million rookie contract and more likely than not will get an extension in the near future.

During Favres 16 seasons with the Packers, the only other quarterbacks in the division who were primary starters for at least three straight years were Trent Dilfer (with Tampa Bay in the old NFC Central), Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), Scott Mitchell (Detroit) and Joey Harrington (Detroit). Only Culpepper made multiple Pro Bowls, and even with a playoff win against the Packers after the 2004 season, he never was viewed on the same level as his rival to the east.

This is different. This is an open competition.

It doesnt hurt that these are the Packers and the Bears, two storied franchises that have played more games than any other teams in the NFL. That both now have high-profile 25-year-olds at the games most important position will not go unnoticed.

Cutler doesnt shy from rivalries, either. He made clear his distaste for his old AFC West rival, Philip Rivers, exchanging words on the field during a 2007 game and calling him kind of an ass in a TV interview last season.

NBC executives must have done a few fist pumps when the Cutler trade was announced. Theres no way to know how this rivalry will play out, and the nation will get to watch it begin on Kickoff Weekend.

Sound familiar?: The compensation the Broncos received in exchange for Cutler two first-round picks, quarterback Kyle Orton and an upward swap of their fifth-round pick for Chicagos third-rounder wasnt all that different from what it cost them to obtain another unhappy quarterback, John Elway, on May 2, 1983.

The Baltimore Colts had drafted Elway with the No. 1 overall draft pick the previous weekend, but he refused to play for the team. So, the Colts dealt him to the Denver for the No. 4 pick, offensive lineman Chris Hinton; the Broncos first-round pick in the 1984 draft; and backup quarterback Mark Hermann.

Hinton went on to an exceptional 13-year career, making seven Pro Bowls, but that was the only part of the deal that panned out for the Colts. They used the other first-round pick (No. 19 overall in 84) on guard Ron Solt, who made the Pro Bowl in the strike-shortened 1987 season but ended up in Philadelphia the next year and later was busted for steroid use. Hermann threw only 92 passes for the Colts before joining the Chargers in 1985.

Elway, of course, became a Pro Football Hall of Famer and led the Broncos to five Super Bowls, winning two.

We wont really know about this trade until we find out what kind of players the draft picks are, Elway told The Denver Post after the Cutler deal was done. If those guys are all-pros, its a hell of a trade. If theyre not, and Cutler goes on to win a Super Bowl, well

On the other hand: In the hours leading up to the trade, reports centered on one destination for Cutler and it wasnt Chicago.

The Washington Times reported a trade to the Redskins was imminent, and a Denver TV station reported Cutler expected to be headed to the nations capital. Although the deal wasnt completed, the Redskins acknowledged on Friday they had discussions with the Broncos precisely the sort of unconsummated trade talk that upset Cutler, setting in motion the chain of events that led to his exit.

The Redskins reportedly shopped their own quarterback and former first-round pick, Jason Campbell, to Denver and at least one other team while pursuing Cutler. But unlike Cutler, who requested a trade after hearing about Denvers interest in quarterback Matt Cassel, Campbell said the whole thing only will serve as motivation.

In a lot of ways, you have a lot of feelings about this, but theres also a lot of stuff you just keep on the inside, said Campbell, who reportedly was shopped to Denver and at least one other team.

You just go out there with a little bit more passion, a little bit more of a chip on your shoulder. Out of all of this, something good has got to come out of it.

Additional Facts
Nobody is going to take the time to get up off the ground to hit a quarterback. So, youll have guys make the play, pay the fines, write it off on their taxes and move on. Whoever made that rule is crazy.
Eagles CB Sheldon Brown, on the new Tom Brady Rule barring players from lunging from the ground at quarterbacks

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
After reviewing some of Cutlers stats and his WR's stats. I'm not as worried as I was before. He can still torch us, sure, but he's not Marino.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

After reviewing some of Cutlers stats and his WR's stats. I'm not as worried as I was before. He can still torch us, sure, but he's not Marino.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes. Cutler is a damn good QB, but he's no Dan Marino. And how many SBs did Marino win?

You still need a team.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
millertime
15 years ago
Why is Cutler so good? I'm not being a hater. He just doesn't seem to care that much about football. I remember the overtime game two seasons ago (Favre to Jennings bomb in OT), I thought Cutler looked unconcerned and noncompetitive in that game. I know he has good numbers, but when you play Oakland and the Chiefs twice a year, its bound to help your stats.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
You are a total hater drinking your haterade!

I wonder what the other defenses were ranked against the pass last year...
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
digsthepack
15 years ago
Plus, the Bears are getting pretty old in spots, and the loss of draft picks could hamper their rejuvinating the roster in coming years.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
longtimefan
15 years ago

getting pretty old in spots, and the loss of draft picks could hamper their rejuvinating the roster in coming years.

"digsthepack" wrote:

that sounds VERY familiar..

Hmmmm

Hersel Walker trade anyone?
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
Remember the Queens have the "Old Sage".
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.