Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Source Link 

The NFLs new best quarterback rivalry will commence on Sept. 13 at Lambeau Field.

No one can say for sure how Jay Cutler will fare with the Chicago Bears, just like no one can say for sure how the Aaron Rodgers Era will proceed in Green Bay. But everything about these two former first-round draft picks suggests this will be a matchup worth watching in the coming years.

Both quarterbacks assumed NFC North Division starting jobs amid controversy Cutler in a messy divorce with the Denver Broncos, who traded him to the Bears on Thursday, and Rodgers amid the messy divorce of the Packers and Brett Favre last summer.

Both assumed the mantle under high, if not wholly unrealistic expectations Cutler as the antidote for a quarterback-sick franchise, Rodgers as the antichrist to those who worshipped his legendary predecessor.

Both have put up gaudy statistics, but neither has gotten a team to the playoffs, much less won a game there. Their combined record as NFL starters is 23-30.

Both figure to have plenty of chances, though. Rodgers got his new contract last fall, with $20 million guaranteed on a deal that runs through 2014. Cutler is halfway through his six-year, $48 million rookie contract and more likely than not will get an extension in the near future.

During Favres 16 seasons with the Packers, the only other quarterbacks in the division who were primary starters for at least three straight years were Trent Dilfer (with Tampa Bay in the old NFC Central), Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), Scott Mitchell (Detroit) and Joey Harrington (Detroit). Only Culpepper made multiple Pro Bowls, and even with a playoff win against the Packers after the 2004 season, he never was viewed on the same level as his rival to the east.

This is different. This is an open competition.

It doesnt hurt that these are the Packers and the Bears, two storied franchises that have played more games than any other teams in the NFL. That both now have high-profile 25-year-olds at the games most important position will not go unnoticed.

Cutler doesnt shy from rivalries, either. He made clear his distaste for his old AFC West rival, Philip Rivers, exchanging words on the field during a 2007 game and calling him kind of an ass in a TV interview last season.

NBC executives must have done a few fist pumps when the Cutler trade was announced. Theres no way to know how this rivalry will play out, and the nation will get to watch it begin on Kickoff Weekend.

Sound familiar?: The compensation the Broncos received in exchange for Cutler two first-round picks, quarterback Kyle Orton and an upward swap of their fifth-round pick for Chicagos third-rounder wasnt all that different from what it cost them to obtain another unhappy quarterback, John Elway, on May 2, 1983.

The Baltimore Colts had drafted Elway with the No. 1 overall draft pick the previous weekend, but he refused to play for the team. So, the Colts dealt him to the Denver for the No. 4 pick, offensive lineman Chris Hinton; the Broncos first-round pick in the 1984 draft; and backup quarterback Mark Hermann.

Hinton went on to an exceptional 13-year career, making seven Pro Bowls, but that was the only part of the deal that panned out for the Colts. They used the other first-round pick (No. 19 overall in 84) on guard Ron Solt, who made the Pro Bowl in the strike-shortened 1987 season but ended up in Philadelphia the next year and later was busted for steroid use. Hermann threw only 92 passes for the Colts before joining the Chargers in 1985.

Elway, of course, became a Pro Football Hall of Famer and led the Broncos to five Super Bowls, winning two.

We wont really know about this trade until we find out what kind of players the draft picks are, Elway told The Denver Post after the Cutler deal was done. If those guys are all-pros, its a hell of a trade. If theyre not, and Cutler goes on to win a Super Bowl, well

On the other hand: In the hours leading up to the trade, reports centered on one destination for Cutler and it wasnt Chicago.

The Washington Times reported a trade to the Redskins was imminent, and a Denver TV station reported Cutler expected to be headed to the nations capital. Although the deal wasnt completed, the Redskins acknowledged on Friday they had discussions with the Broncos precisely the sort of unconsummated trade talk that upset Cutler, setting in motion the chain of events that led to his exit.

The Redskins reportedly shopped their own quarterback and former first-round pick, Jason Campbell, to Denver and at least one other team while pursuing Cutler. But unlike Cutler, who requested a trade after hearing about Denvers interest in quarterback Matt Cassel, Campbell said the whole thing only will serve as motivation.

In a lot of ways, you have a lot of feelings about this, but theres also a lot of stuff you just keep on the inside, said Campbell, who reportedly was shopped to Denver and at least one other team.

You just go out there with a little bit more passion, a little bit more of a chip on your shoulder. Out of all of this, something good has got to come out of it.

Additional Facts
Nobody is going to take the time to get up off the ground to hit a quarterback. So, youll have guys make the play, pay the fines, write it off on their taxes and move on. Whoever made that rule is crazy.
Eagles CB Sheldon Brown, on the new Tom Brady Rule barring players from lunging from the ground at quarterbacks

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
After reviewing some of Cutlers stats and his WR's stats. I'm not as worried as I was before. He can still torch us, sure, but he's not Marino.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

After reviewing some of Cutlers stats and his WR's stats. I'm not as worried as I was before. He can still torch us, sure, but he's not Marino.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes. Cutler is a damn good QB, but he's no Dan Marino. And how many SBs did Marino win?

You still need a team.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
millertime
15 years ago
Why is Cutler so good? I'm not being a hater. He just doesn't seem to care that much about football. I remember the overtime game two seasons ago (Favre to Jennings bomb in OT), I thought Cutler looked unconcerned and noncompetitive in that game. I know he has good numbers, but when you play Oakland and the Chiefs twice a year, its bound to help your stats.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
You are a total hater drinking your haterade!

I wonder what the other defenses were ranked against the pass last year...
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
digsthepack
15 years ago
Plus, the Bears are getting pretty old in spots, and the loss of draft picks could hamper their rejuvinating the roster in coming years.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
longtimefan
15 years ago

getting pretty old in spots, and the loss of draft picks could hamper their rejuvinating the roster in coming years.

"digsthepack" wrote:

that sounds VERY familiar..

Hmmmm

Hersel Walker trade anyone?
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
Remember the Queens have the "Old Sage".
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.