15 years ago
Top 5 Teams to Watch 

1. Texans
2. Packers
3. Redskins
4. Bills
5. Chiefs

2. The Green Bay Packers

Offense: The key skill position pieces are in place with quarterback Aaron Rodgers, running back Ryan Grant and wideouts Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and James Jones. Donald Lee is a quality tight end as well. The offensive line needs work at the tackle spots, even if Mark Tauscher is re-signed. The spot could use both depth and quality and should be addressed relatively early in the draft. Even with improvement needed on the line, this is a unit ascending into its prime. As Rodgers improves, hell take the offense with him. It should be the best unit in the NFC North by far, and one of the top five offenses in the NFC.

Defense: The switch to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers is going to be tricky. Capers is a quality assistant and should be an upgrade, but the personnel is a huge question mark particularly defensive end-turned linebacker Aaron Kampman. No matter what the team says, there is no telling how Kampman will function as an outside linebacker (especially in coverage) until he gets on the field and has to do it against live competition. It might be November before we really know how well or poorly the scheme and players fit one another. The addition of safety Anthony Smith from the Steelers gives Green Bay a good veteran safety who knows the scheme, and that will help, but the Packers have been slow to add other pieces. Not being able to woo Chris Canty was a definite blow.

Work to be done: There are still some free-agent bargains out there who could add some depth in the 3-4 scheme, but the Packers dont seem to have a sense of urgency in their pursuit. Thats either a really good sign of the transition of the existing roster, or utter mismanagement by the front office only time will tell. Whatever the case, finding personnel and/or depth for the 3-4 defense still has to be a top priority for the remainder of the offseason. Drafting a young offensive tackle and cornerback would appear to be sensible moves at this point, too. Continuing Rodgers development is important as well, but considering the strides he has made every offseason, that shouldnt be an issue.

Bottom line: Dont sweat the offense. The earlier Capers and that 3-4 defense get up and functioning, the further this team will go in 2009.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Well, he hit it right on, I guess. I still have doubts about Kampman aswell. I mean, I asume he didn't switch from LB to DE in college for nothing. Maybe he couldn't cover? That would be pretty bad as we would be nearly as one-dimensional as last years 4-3.

There are still some free-agent bargains out there who could add some depth in the 3-4 scheme, but the Packers dont seem to have a sense of urgency in their pursuit. Thats either a really good sign of the transition of the existing roster, or utter mismanagement by the front office only time will tell.

Apperantly no one has the slightest idea about what Ted is doing. I'd really like to know whether he's sitting in a corner crying because his FA is going horribly wrong or this is all part of his master scheme. Like the article says, only time will tell.
Dulak
15 years ago
I liked the authors analysis ...

Personally thou I dont mind the fact we didnt get canty considering the cost; although he would probably really help us. Id much prefer 2-3 other good players instead (but not even sure we will go for that).

Be interesting who is available at the #9 spot and whom we pick up.
15 years ago
Who has the better year this year, Jordy Nelson or James Jones?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Or a random drafted receiver?

I think it all depends on TC this year, but so far, I'd say Nelson.

Where I saw Jones mostly catching deep balls (Might've been me not paying attention, but still), Jordy seemed to do it all. I think he'll be a great all-round player and somewone to follow up Driver.
digsthepack
15 years ago
Both Jones and Nelson are gifted WRs, and I like what they both do very much. But, when healthy, James Jones reminds me a LOT of Sterling Sharpe. Great hands, and so strong that the first defender is more often than not shedded for extra yards. That said, Nelson is also a very well rounded player. I see these two pushing each other for playing time, which means good things for both.

One of them may be traded, or possibly Ruvell Matrin, on draft day to a WR starved team that has someone/something we wantand/or need.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Pretty much my thinking, only I am a little more worried about the Oline. Need to get a couple players in for at least depth. Don't want to wait and see if Tauscher does make it back, would like to be prepared either way.

The D is the key to the season. I think there is enough talent on the team all ready, and Capers just pumping energy into the team will help.

As for the Jones Nelson question. I am hoping for no 1000 yard recievers. Thats right none. I am looking for 5 800 yard guys.

Jones should have a better season. I think he will jump to #2 in yards breaking 1000 along with Jennings. Driver should be close.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Apples and oranges. I prefer Jones deep and Nelson is a better possession receiver. We need both.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
15 years ago

As for the Jones Nelson question. I am hoping for no 1000 yard recievers. Thats right none. I am looking for 5 800 yard guys.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

I'm looking for 5 1000 yard receivers. Now that would be something. (Thinking Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Finley here)
zombieslayer
15 years ago
As for the article, I agree with all of it except Kampy. I strongly believe in something called "football intelligence." Kampy has it. He may be lost the first half of the season, but I guarantee he will "get" it.

He's got more speed than people give him credit for too. He's got "football speed," which Reggie White had. Yes, Reggie White. Big guy and all, I've seen him run down fast little guys and tackle them because he had the understanding of angles. That's another aspect of "football intelligence" that some folks have, some don't. Like Alex Smith may have a 150+ IQ, but I'd take Brett Favre's football intelligence any day of the week.

Another name he brought up - Donald Lee. There's been a lot of talk on this board that we could improve our TE spot but I disagree. I think he was wrongly utilized. He was correctly used in '07, but poorly used in '08. The guy has skills. He just needs to be used correctly.

And Aaron Rodgers is a stud. But we got to get that kid an OL. If Ted Thompson drafts a WR ahead of an OL, I'm going to be pissed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (21m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (23m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.