Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
We have many threads about the upcoming Defense changes.
- The addition of Dom
- Implementing the 3-4D from the 4-3
- Most likely picking up most players on the defense FA/Draft
- Putting our men into key positions to play using their strengths ...

So what about the O and what changes need to be made to improve.

In a previous thread one poster mentioned ...
- The penalties (I swear the 1st 1/2 of the season I thought the refs had it out for us.) Seems like I heard a whistle blow every couple of plays.

Also IMO better blocking for the run. People talked about implementing a Full back ie a blocker for grant - he always seemed to do better when he had a blocker.

Better protection for rodgers ... he seemed to have to run around too much; even thou he was good at it.

I say using screens more and our TEs more. Didnt think we used them much this season.

What do you guys think?
Pack93z
15 years ago
Serious an long look at the personnel, run blocking scheme and if it hasn't been done yet, a hard and stern look at the position coaches along the offensive line.

Fix it after three years of inconsistency damn it.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Megatron
15 years ago
Definitely need to upgrade the OT positions. Rodgers was the 7th highest sacked QB in the NFL. If we want to protect our long term investment for our franchise, we need new OT's.

Look at this:
Cutler - 11 sacks
P.Manning - 14 sacks
Brees - 13 sacks

Rodgers got sacked 34 times!!! that is unacceptable.

The rest of the offensive line can be upgraded if Ted Thompson finds someone good in the draft for free agency.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Megatron.. I think a little of the credit of the high sack numbers can fall upon Rodgers shoulders.. at times he was holding on to the ball a couple beats to long.

Add to that fact that a good number of our sacks came from internal pressure as well.. I know of at least a handful where the guards got beat on inside twists and stunts.

Tackles on a fast turf were exposed and upgrades are welcomed.. but it didn't all fall upon their (OT's) shoulders.

BTW... nice post..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago
I have a feeling they are going to bolster the middle of the O line moving Spitz to center and bringing in Sitton at G. I doubt Tausher is back so if Clifton hangs around they will have to adjust for Taush.

I also like Finley to make a big step this year. It's his time. He was young and projected to need a couple years in the NFL but most felt he could be a great player down the line.

I think we have the pieces and these guys have a few years now so guys like Spitz and Moll and Sitton should do better in allowing sacks.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
15 years ago
I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on AR. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on AR's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.
Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be MM's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
15 years ago
Offensive line must improve. It's absolutely one of the weaknesses of the team. I'd like to see the Pack bring someone new in. I also want to see if Josh Sitton becomes the answer.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on Aaron Rodgers. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on Aaron Rodgers's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.

Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be Mike McCarthy's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

ya I agree here about the balance thing; I figure he did the balance thing to keep the D guessing; but when we dont have that good of a running game. Its not going to work well.

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.

"Dulak" wrote:

Yes, that drove me nuts.

And agreed about our WRs. They're awesome. They're playmakers. One of the reasons why teams win games is they figure out ways to get the ball into the hands of their Playmakers. Steve Smith is a Playmaker. Randy Moss is a Playmaker. Leon Washington is a Playmaker. Both Gregorious and Donald Driver are Playmakers. We got two on our O. Get the ball into their hands in the Red Zone and let them do their magic.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
yooperfan
15 years ago
Improve the offensive line which is where it all begins.
Hire a "real" offensive coordinator who is aggressive go for the throat kind of coach who does not play the dual role of head coach.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.