Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
We have many threads about the upcoming Defense changes.
- The addition of Dom
- Implementing the 3-4D from the 4-3
- Most likely picking up most players on the defense FA/Draft
- Putting our men into key positions to play using their strengths ...

So what about the O and what changes need to be made to improve.

In a previous thread one poster mentioned ...
- The penalties (I swear the 1st 1/2 of the season I thought the refs had it out for us.) Seems like I heard a whistle blow every couple of plays.

Also IMO better blocking for the run. People talked about implementing a Full back ie a blocker for grant - he always seemed to do better when he had a blocker.

Better protection for rodgers ... he seemed to have to run around too much; even thou he was good at it.

I say using screens more and our TEs more. Didnt think we used them much this season.

What do you guys think?
Pack93z
15 years ago
Serious an long look at the personnel, run blocking scheme and if it hasn't been done yet, a hard and stern look at the position coaches along the offensive line.

Fix it after three years of inconsistency damn it.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Megatron
15 years ago
Definitely need to upgrade the OT positions. Rodgers was the 7th highest sacked QB in the NFL. If we want to protect our long term investment for our franchise, we need new OT's.

Look at this:
Cutler - 11 sacks
P.Manning - 14 sacks
Brees - 13 sacks

Rodgers got sacked 34 times!!! that is unacceptable.

The rest of the offensive line can be upgraded if Ted Thompson finds someone good in the draft for free agency.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Megatron.. I think a little of the credit of the high sack numbers can fall upon Rodgers shoulders.. at times he was holding on to the ball a couple beats to long.

Add to that fact that a good number of our sacks came from internal pressure as well.. I know of at least a handful where the guards got beat on inside twists and stunts.

Tackles on a fast turf were exposed and upgrades are welcomed.. but it didn't all fall upon their (OT's) shoulders.

BTW... nice post..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago
I have a feeling they are going to bolster the middle of the O line moving Spitz to center and bringing in Sitton at G. I doubt Tausher is back so if Clifton hangs around they will have to adjust for Taush.

I also like Finley to make a big step this year. It's his time. He was young and projected to need a couple years in the NFL but most felt he could be a great player down the line.

I think we have the pieces and these guys have a few years now so guys like Spitz and Moll and Sitton should do better in allowing sacks.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
15 years ago
I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on AR. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on AR's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.
Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be MM's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
15 years ago
Offensive line must improve. It's absolutely one of the weaknesses of the team. I'd like to see the Pack bring someone new in. I also want to see if Josh Sitton becomes the answer.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on Aaron Rodgers. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on Aaron Rodgers's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.

Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be Mike McCarthy's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

ya I agree here about the balance thing; I figure he did the balance thing to keep the D guessing; but when we dont have that good of a running game. Its not going to work well.

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.

"Dulak" wrote:

Yes, that drove me nuts.

And agreed about our WRs. They're awesome. They're playmakers. One of the reasons why teams win games is they figure out ways to get the ball into the hands of their Playmakers. Steve Smith is a Playmaker. Randy Moss is a Playmaker. Leon Washington is a Playmaker. Both Gregorious and Donald Driver are Playmakers. We got two on our O. Get the ball into their hands in the Red Zone and let them do their magic.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
yooperfan
15 years ago
Improve the offensive line which is where it all begins.
Hire a "real" offensive coordinator who is aggressive go for the throat kind of coach who does not play the dual role of head coach.
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.