2 months ago

I'm liking this kind of stuff. This was posted last year about Jeff Hafley.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I like the sentiment of more press.

Technique wise I don't agree with "eyes on numbers", as this will lead to getting juked. "Eyes on thighs" especially in walk out is better technique IMO.

Go Packers!!!!
dhazer
2 months ago

Technique wise I don't agree with "eyes on numbers", as this will lead to getting juked. "Eyes on thighs" especially in walk out is better technique IMO.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

And how did that turn out for him lol

In 2022, the Eagles dropped to 100th in scoring defense (30.3) and 67th in yards allowed (377.8), and in '23 ranked 86th (28.3) in scoring and 70th in yards allowed (385.1).

Ya to say im very disappointed is an understatement
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 months ago

This goofball also said the Packers were going to enter the 70s and 80s again after Loves first bad game. He flip flops so much its hard to take what he says serious.

Its all fine and dandy to find good posts about this hire but people said the same about Barry. Also, can this guy adjust in gane if his plan isnt working? That was one of our flaws. Also, whos going to be this free saftety to play cover 1?

This hire has more questions then answers and history tells me thats a bad thing.

I hope i eat my words one day

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

To be honest the verdict is still out on Love, he played a few good games but then again had the clunkers it was his 1st year starting so we don't know what we have. One thing I do know is we hired a Defensive Cord who has had some really bad defenses and was probably going to lose his head coach job if he had another sub 500 year. I really want to know why Matt didn't interview any of the top guys or like one video I saw said he won't hire Jim or a few others that interviewed last time because if they do go the why didn't you hire them the first time would be out there.

But I guess a guy that can produce these defensive stats should be on the top of the list
In 2022, the Eagles dropped to 100th in scoring defense (30.3) and 67th in yards allowed (377.8), and in '23 ranked 86th (28.3) in scoring and 70th in yards allowed (385.1).

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 months ago
Hafley comes to the Packers after working as the head coach for Boston College for the past four seasons (2020-23), where he led the Eagles to bowl eligibility in three of his four years. In 2021, the defense ranked No. 3 nationally in passing yards allowed (173.5 per game) and also were top-30 nationally in total defense, red-zone defense, first downs allowed, third-down percentage, team passing efficiency and defensive touchdowns. The Eagles also led the ACC in fewest penalties and fewest penalty yards.

But then 2022 comes In 2022, the Eagles dropped to 100th in scoring defense (30.3) and 67th in yards allowed (377.8), and in '23 ranked 86th (28.3) in scoring and 70th in yards allowed (385.1).

I guess we can't let people see that one lol

Prior to his time at BC, Hafley was the co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach for Ohio State in 2019. In his one season in Columbus, he was a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award and the 247 Sports Defensive Coordinator of the Year. Hafley helped the Buckeye defense rank No. 1 nationally in yards per play, No. 2 in total defense and passing yards allowed, No. 3 in scoring defense and sacks, No. 7 in rushing defense and No. 1 in red-zone defense. The Buckeyes registered 15 interceptions in 2019, tied for No. 9 in the nation, while allowing just 25 pass plays of 20-plus yards.

So he was the secondary coach/assistant d cord. But give him the credit for the whole defense gotcha :)

Before his time at Ohio State, Hafley spent seven seasons as an NFL assistant coach. The Montvale, N.J., native worked as a defensive backs coach for the San Francisco 49ers (2016-18) and Cleveland Browns (2014-15). In 2018, the 49ers ranked No. 11 in the NFL in passing defense and were No. 14 in 2016 after ranking No. 27 the year before Hafley arrived. He first coached in the NFL as an assistant defensive backs coach for Tampa Bay in 2012 and then was the secondary/safeties coach for the Buccaneers in 2013.
Interesting note they are proud of the average pass defense but Barry's defense ranked #9 yds/game.

Prior to his move to the NFL, Hafley spent 11 seasons as a college coach. After starting his career as the running backs coach at Worcester (Mass.) Polytechnic Institute, he moved on to the University of Albany for four seasons as a defensive assistant and defensive backs coach (2002-05). Hafley then coached at Pittsburgh for five seasons (2006-10), where he worked with future Pro Football Hall of Famer Darrelle Revis, who was a Jim Thorpe Award finalist in 2006. Hafley was a defensive assistant/cornerbacks coach in 2006-07 and was secondary coach from 2008-10. He spent one season (2011) as the defensive backs coach at Rutgers, helping the Scarlet Knights rank No. 9 nationally in passing defense. Hafley helped develop future NFL standout defensive backs Duron Harmon and Logan Ryan during his time at Rutgers.đź…±

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 months ago

“Love press man. Got to be able to play press man. Have to be able to." Jeff Hafley.

I mean, if true, HELLS YES!!

If that means no more 8 yard cushions on 3rd and 3 leading to short out passes for an easy first down, then I'm all for it.

Some words about tackling.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Yes please! Change the whole mentality about tackling, not just the technique.

Man, it sure is nice hearing positive things about the new DC hire. Beats the BS we heard nonstop about the previous hire.

Well if Barry had a better track record than I'm sure we would have spoken better of him when hired.

Early thoughts
1. Seems to favor an aggressive scheme *within reason*. One thing I feared going into this DC search is that MLF would get someone who was a complete 180 in style and we'd end up with "Blitzing" Bob Slowik 2.0. An overly aggressive DC that blitzes all day and cant adjust is just as bad as one that sits back and doesnt adjust either.
2. Like the emphasis on tackling.
3. Like the DB coaching experience at the NFL level. Probably one of the hardest positions these days with the current rules in place.
4. The 4 man front with hands in the dirt, is it a true 4-3 or just a sub package (like the "Quads" package that Capers tried in 2014 and then rapidly abandoned)?
5. Hopefully Hafley can get some of the guys he wants on his staff.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
2 months ago
dhazer noted:

Hafley comes to the Packers after working as the head coach for Boston College for the past four seasons (2020-23), where he led the Eagles to bowl eligibility in three of his four years. In 2021, the defense ranked No. 3 nationally in passing yards allowed (173.5 per game) and also were top-30 nationally in total defense, red-zone defense, first downs allowed, third-down percentage, team passing efficiency and defensive touchdowns. The Eagles also led the ACC in fewest penalties and fewest penalty yards.

But then 2022 comes In 2022, the Eagles dropped to 100th in scoring defense (30.3) and 67th in yards allowed (377.8), and in '23 ranked 86th (28.3) in scoring and 70th in yards allowed (385.1).

So out of over 130 D-1 teams, he had a bad year. Was he playing freshmen? I am too lazy to find out, but I would bet he was.

Nevertheless for a non-powerhouse like BC to be number 3 on pass defense, and 30th overall D-1 is remarkable.

I think the guy will mix it up and be a breath of fresh air. And I hope we will tackle better.

Had we tackled better, we would be in the Super Bowl, IMO.
Go Packers!!!!
2 months ago
Sometimes there are just bad teams, and even Vince Lombardi could not make them good.

Sometimes we are hypercritical pointing out bad things without really taking a look at why they were bad.

Sometimes you have to take your lumps with a team and build, living with their mistakes while fans call you a bad coach. But those reps taken by young players pay off in the long run.

Case in point. The reps taken by Love in the first half of the season were sometimes not good...but he progressed....he learned....he got better.
So in the first half of the year was Tom Clemens a crummy quarterback coach. No. They were investing the reps in Love and living with the consequences.

That very well may have been the case so some of Hafley's teams. If one takes the time to listen to the video posted, he is all about development ...the translation of which is, sometimes we are going to stink and look like we don't know what we are doing. But the team is learning and getting to where you want it to be.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
2 months ago

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I feel we were told to watch the hips in High School. If I recall correctly it was because the upper torso can go one direction and legs another, but the hips do not lie.
UserPostedImage
2 months ago

I feel we were told to watch the hips in High School. If I recall correctly it was because the upper torso can go one direction and legs another, but the hips do not lie.

when the recivrrs hips and thighs drop, the defender should enter a challenge phase where his hips and thighs drop, being ready for a change in direction.

Go Packers!!!!
2 months ago
I thought this was an interesting article with some good points:
@Markoldacres wrote

4 Reasons Why Jeff Hafley Was Chosen as Packers Defensive Coordinator

Hafley will look to turn around Green Bay's underperforming defense as he becomes an NFL defensive coordinator for the first time.

By Markoldacres Feb 02, 2024

The Green Bay Packers have a new defensive coordinator after luring Jeff Hafley away from his head coaching position at Boston College to succeed Joe Barry.

Hafley was a surprise hire to most, as an interview had not been reported, but why did Matt LaFleur decide the 44-year-old was the man to turn around Green Bay’s defense? Here are four possible key reasons Hafley was selected.

A change in philosophy

First and foremost, Hafley will bring a different ideology to the role than his predecessor Barry. He is the person you date right after getting out of a problematic relationship, who is, almost by design, the exact opposite of your ex.

The soft, shell defense Barry deployed drove Packers fans crazy by bending and too often breaking, with cornerbacks playing too far off and making life easy for opposing receivers and quarterbacks.

Say goodbye to that, because Hafley is a big fan of press man coverage and will likely utilize it much more regularly.

When addressing the media after taking over as Ohio State’s co-defensive coordinator back in 2019, Hafley said: “Love press man. Got to be able to play it. I think it’s a fundamental technique”.

The Packers appear to have corners who would thrive in a position where they can be more competitive and challenge receivers from the snap. Jaire Alexander, Carrington Valentine and Eric Stokes are better suited to that kind of coverage than sitting back in zone.

That was always the confusing element of Barry’s philosophy. It seemed to fly in the face of what his players would be best at. Expect that to change with Hafley now in the hot seat.

Head coaching experience

Towards the end of Barry’s tenure, it became an open secret LaFleur had involved himself in the defense to a greater degree than he had probably ever planned to, in an effort to turn around the struggling unit.

It worked, to some extent, as there were improvements after Baker Mayfield’s perfect passer rating at Lambeau Field until the end of the season.

But ultimately, LaFleur had enough on his plate as the head coach and offensive play caller, and Hafley’s hire indicates a desire to give the new defensive coordinator total trust and autonomy.

Hafley has been a head coach the last four seasons, he will not need his hand held as he implements and runs his defense in Green Bay. This was no doubt an attractive quality for LaFleur, similar to Rich Bisaccia on special teams.

LaFleur should have more time to work with Jordan Love and his young offense going forward, which should only help that side of the ball take another step forward.

Coaches are teachers

Scheme is important, but the teaching of technique is something of a lost art in the modern NFL, and this is something Hafley is passionate about.

A presentation on the particulars of press coverage from his Boston College was quickly found on Twitter after the Packers hired Hafley. A defense which has often struggled with fundamentals, especially in tackling, could certainly benefit from this detailed approach to technique.

Speaking on Next Up with Adam Breneman recently, Hafley talked about his desire to get back to more actual coaching in a college football world altered drastically by NIL and the transfer portal, which provides some insight as to his acceptance of the Packers DC position.

Hafley said: “I wanna coach football. I wanna coach more defense this year than I did last year. I gotta coach again. But how am I gonna do that? That’s what I need to figure out”.

It looks like Hafley figured it out.

Coaching influences

Like it or not, the NFL is about relationships.

There have been conflicting reports around Hafley’s prior relationship with LaFleur, with one reporter claiming the two are long-time friends and others refuting it.

When they believed Hafley and LaFleur were best buddies, there was a reasonable skepticism from Packers fans after watching three years of Barry, who had a strong rapport with the head coach from previous stops in their careers.

Throughout his career, Hafley has worked with some coaches LaFleur knows well, such as his brother Mike, his best friend in football Robert Saleh, mentor Kyle Shanahan, and current OC Adam Stenavich.

This may have helped Hafley’s case, but not because LaFleur knows them, rather what they, along with a laundry list of other coaches, represent: the sheer number of quality football influences Hafley has spent time with in his career to date.

Hafley has worked with DeMeco Ryans, Kevin O’Connell, Mike Pettine, Mike McDaniel. He has NFL experience with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He has been around a ton of great coaches and has the bona fides to be on an NFL staff.

IMHO, its far easier to play press man when you have great corners....other then Jaire, I am not sure we do.
Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.