wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 months ago
I have no desire whatsoever to improve the Jets and weaken the Packers 2024 draft pick. If they want Bak they must pay dearly for him. After the season is over and Bak's big money is ready to hit, fine they can have him. Not in 2023.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago

I have no desire whatsoever to improve the Jets and weaken the Packers 2024 draft pick. If they want Bak they must pay dearly for him. After the season is over and Bak's big money is ready to hit, fine they can have him. Not in 2023.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

1) If Rodgers doesn't have decent OT, he might not get to 65% and it might be a mid 2nd round pick, instead of a 1st round pick.

2) In theory, the Jets would have to be paying a heavy price for this, so let's say another 1st round pick.

So if the options are possible a 2nd rounder and keep Bakhtiari and his large contract. Or two 1st rounders but lose Bakhtiari and his contract.

Then it becomes an option.

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 months ago

EQ wrote Hardly an NFL average line.   Perhaps an average SEC line.

I can’t think of a worse group.  Two unproven guys at tackle and Nijman has had numerous turnstile moments. Jenkins is terrific. Myers and Runyon are average with Myers seemingly struggling.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Like I said, it's not a lineup I'm excited about. But I don't think there is a weak-link, Don Barclay type of guy there. Myers is probably the worst of the group - so if they can upgrade there I think it would be a serviceable group. That said, a below-average center is probably the easiest problem to mask on the OL. I'm with you on the concerns with Nijman at LT - they would have to give him a bit of help occasionally, but most NFL teams do when facing elite edge rushers.

I think Jenkins is a good option at LT too. But putting him there could mean shuffling around multiple guys. Something like:

Jenkins, Tom, Meyers, Runyan, Nijman - the way I look at this is it means putting three guys somewhere other than their natural/best position. I think Tom can be a good to great RT, Jenkins is an elite LG, and Nijman's best position is LT. But maybe shuffling them around is worth it to get the best guy at LT. I'm glad I don't have to make that call.

Anyway, if Bahktari is traded or misses time, who are your top 5 guys, and where do you play them?
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 months ago

1) If Rodgers doesn't have decent OT, he might not get to 65% and it might be a mid 2nd round pick, instead of a 1st round pick.

2) In theory, the Jets would have to be paying a heavy price for this, so let's say another 1st round pick.

So if the options are possible a 2nd rounder and keep Bakhtiari and his large contract. Or two 1st rounders but lose Bakhtiari and his contract.

Then it becomes an option.

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yep. He could also get hit by a bus. Anything could happen.
The odds of him getting injured and not able to play 65% is much less than the odds of Bak helping the Jets win 10 + games.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
9 months ago

Yep. He could also get hit by a bus. Anything could happen.
The odds of him getting injured and not able to play 65% is much less than the odds of Bak helping the Jets win 10 + games.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Personally, I don't think Bahktari would be the difference between the Jets winning 7 vs 11 games. I think he's more likely to be the difference between the Jets losing in the wildcard round or them making a deeper run. But I don't have a good understanding of just how bad the Jets OL is.
blank
beast
9 months ago

But I don't have a good understanding of just how bad the Jets OL is.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Both their starting OTs are injured (and the starting RT has been injured with a knee injury almost his entire NFL career)

And they have a post injury Billy Turner rotating at starting LT while they wait for soon to be 38 year old Duane Brown to recover, which he's been in the IR and missed games each of the last two years.

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
9 months ago

jason Sigler wrote:

New York Jets Head Coach Appears To Allude To Massive Trade Coming For Offensive Line

New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh made a comment that appeared to hint the team is ready to explore options to make a major trade for the offensive line.

This week, Mike Greenberg with ESPN documented the Jets’ offensive line struggles and thought the team should try and trade for Green Bay Packers left tackle David Bakhtiari. While most of the team is stacked, the Jets’ offensive line is a question mark. And that’s a troubling scenario for a team that extended extensive capital to bring 39-year-old quarterback Aaron Rodgers to New York.

Rich Cimini with ESPN wrote about the offensive line in a report Sunday. Cimini thinks the offensive line (including the tackle spot) is the Jets biggest weakness heading into the season. Saleh has expressed the Jets have time to experiment with the lineup and make their current roster for offensive line work.

But Saleh, like any NFL coach, wants to see the results sooner rather than later.

Cimini dropped a quote from Saleh that alludes to him and the front office considering using alternative methods, like, say, a trade, to improve the offensive line:

“My optimistic side will say we have time,” Saleh said. “Duane is coming back, there’s still a lot of pieces and we’ve got some cards in our back pocket that we can use. But as a coach, you want it done yesterday.”

Rodgers helped to stack Saleh’s deck when he took a pay cut to ensure the Jets could add pieces to the roster to make them more competitive this year.

Greenberg’s comments on Bahktiati to the Jets ignited a firestorm of public opinion on the possibility. Some Packers fans, irritated with Bakhtiari’s continuous rehab process and high salary, would like to see the team move on from Bakhtiari.

However, most of the Packers fanbase would prefer to keep Bahktiari after they kept him post the June-1st designation. As Matt Schneidman with The Athletic pointed out, sending Bakhtiari to the Jets would help New York’s overall record, giving the Packers a lower pick in the first or second round. And the Packers would miss on protecting Jordan Love with the best-left tackle in the league.

The Packers have a vested interest in keeping two quarterbacks healthy this season. Love, of course. But the Packers need Rodgers to play 65 percent of the Jets’ offensive snaps if they want New York’s first-round pick in 2024.

Bakhtiari is clearly the best option at left tackle if the Packers want insurance for that first-round pick.

We are going young everyplace else, so this would not be unexpected, especially if the price is high enough. 

I wonder how Bakhtiari would hold up with so many games on turf. 

Go Packers!!!!
dfosterf
9 months ago
Tell the Jets we will listen to a trade for one of our tackles, go public with the offer, but we want to bring home Joe Tippman to Wisconsin as part of the negotiations.

We may have them in a uniquely advantageous position, in that at least according to their media, they may have to come hat in hand.

FYI- To anyone that doesn't know who he is- Jets took him in the 2nd round this year as the 1st center drafted. By all accounts, he started off slow, but has been coming on strong of late. He is NOT the starting center in NY...

Now at minimum, we'd get the NY media to go insane on that debate 😆 
beast
9 months ago

Tell the Jets we will listen to a trade for one of our tackles, go public with the offer, but we want to bring home Joe Tippman to Wisconsin as part of the negotiations.

We may have them in a uniquely advantageous position, in that at least according to their media, they may have to come hat in hand.

FYI- To anyone that doesn't know who he is- Jets took him in the 2nd round this year as the 1st center drafted. By all accounts, he started off slow, but has been coming on strong of late. He is NOT the starting center in NY...

Now at minimum, we'd get the NY media to go insane on that debate 😆 

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Great suggestion.

Packers get
~ 2024 1st (even if Rodgers plays 0 snaps)
~ 2025 1st
~ C/OG Joe Trippmann 
~ ST Ace Justin Hardee (CB/WR, but just ST Ace, 2022 Pro Bowler)
~ TE Kenny Yeboah (Their #4 TE and ST TE)

Jets get
~ LT Bakhtiari
~ OG/RT Newman
~ C/OG Hanson
~ 2025 5th round pick

Probably unrealistic, but whom knows.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 months ago

Great suggestion.

Packers get
~ 2024 1st (even if Rodgers plays 0 snaps)
~ 2025 1st
~ C/OG Joe Trippmann 
~ ST Ace Justin Hardee (CB/WR, but just ST Ace, 2022 Pro Bowler)
~ TE Kenny Yeboah (Their #4 TE and ST TE)

Jets get
~ LT Bakhtiari
~ OG/RT Newman
~ C/OG Hanson
~ 2025 5th round pick

Probably unrealistic, but whom knows.

Originally Posted by: beast 

While that trade as a whole might be unrealistic, I have wondered if they did swing a trade if they'd throw in one of the backups along the line into the trade but figured the Jets would want another T like Walker or Jones. 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (6h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (6h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (6h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (6h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (6h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (13h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (13h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.