Zero2Cool
9 months ago

If New York wants to use its 1st- or 2nd-round pick at the deadline, they’ll have to come back to the table with GM Brian Gutekunst.

Last week, former Green Bay Packers  quarterback Aaron Rodgers adjusted his contract with the New York Jets . Ultimately, Rodgers left about $35 million over two years on the table  when compared to the deal that he signed with the Packers in 2022.

Since then, Rodgers has told NBC Sports’ Peter King  that a factor in signing that cheaper deal was that he wanted the Jets to be aggressive at the trade deadline.

“This year, compared to like 2005, the amount of transactions that happen now with guys getting cut and the amount of trades—way more than before. Big names move at the trade deadline now. I wanted to make sure that if somebody valuable came available that we’d be able to get him. I’m very happy with the contract. I feel great about it.”

Here’s the catch, though: Due to the nature of the conditions of Rodgers’ trade, the Jets — at least as it stands today — will be unable to use EITHER their first- or second-round draft picks in 2024 at the 2023 trade deadline. Per the terms of the Rodgers trade, Green Bay will receive the Jets’ 2024 first-round pick if Rodgers plays 65 percent of New York’s overall offensive snaps. If that mark isn’t met, the Packers will get the Jets’ second-rounder.

Because that 65 percent mark cannot be calculated until the end of the regular season, the Jets do not have the freedom to use either draft pick at the trade deadline without first coming to a new agreement with the Packers. This was confirmed to me by league sources, who said that a similar issue over conditional draft picks was a factor at the trade deadline last year for at least one proposed trade elsewhere in the NFL.

According to a source, the NFL’s stance on these conditional selections is similar to the NBA’s, where one team cannot unilaterally choose to give up the higher-valued option in an effort to close the book on a trade.

After talking to people in the know, here’s a rundown of one hypothetical that could play out at the trade deadline this year:

1. The Jets identify a pass-catcher that Rodgers wants to go after. Let’s call him Avante Dadams. Dadams’ original team wants at least a second-round pick in exchange for the receiver’s remaining contract.
  2. The Jets go to the Packers with an offer: New York will give Green Bay their first-round pick in 2024, straight up, for the freedom to use their 2024 second-rounder in a trade for Dadams.
  3. Assuming that Rodgers has started every game for the Jets at this point, 7 of the team’s 17 games will be in the books — meaning that Rodgers should have played around 42 percent of the Jets’ projected season-long offensive snaps. At that point, which is the bigger gamble for Green Bay? Is it assuming the risk that Rodgers won’t play at least 4 more games in the remaining 10 weeks of the regular season or is it voluntarily allowing a team whose first-round draft pick that they’ll likely own get better? Based on conversations I’ve had, I would guess that Green Bay would turn down this offer.
  4. The Jets then make a counteroffer, adding another draft choice (maybe a 2024 fourth-round pick) to the mix on top of conceding their 2024 first-round pick. That is something that might interest the team enough to be able to get the Packers to agree to new terms.

The Jets’ and Packers’ relationship, brought together by Rodgers, is the gift that keeps on giving. Keep an eye out for this story popping up again around October 31st, which is when all league-wide trading will come to an end at 4 p.m. Eastern. If Rodgers’ Jets really do want to take a big swing at the trade deadline, they’re going to have to come back to the table with Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst.

Continue Reading @ Justis Mosqueda 

Justis Mosqueda wrote:

Kind of fascinating.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 months ago
The Jets want to guarantee The Packers the 2024 1st rnd pick, that probably means they are in the hunt.
The Packers should demand a 1st or 2nd rnd 2025 pick.

What if the player happens to be David Bakhtiari? 
I would demand both 2024 picks(1st and 2nd) and The Jets pick up the balance of his contract.

Of course I'm greedy like that 😃😃
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
9 months ago
Usually it's 3rd or below in trade deadline trades, as usually it's players in a contract year, that the team doesn't plan on re-signing.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the standard action.

Also, the Jets biggest weakness appears to be their OTs. Rodgers loves Bakhtiari...  could it potentially happen? I think it's highly doubtful, but if the Jets clearly need to improve LT and are willing to pay the price, Gute might pull the trigger, especially if we have OL step up.

Of course, if Tom has to play inside, that will of course hurt the OT depth and make this even less likely than it already is.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 months ago
If the Jets are wanting to add a player and concede the 224 #1 pick it might be a lower selection. I think Gute should counter by asking for the 2025 #1 as well.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/mike-greenberg-jets-trade-aaron-rodgers-packers-david-bakhtiari 

AthlonSports.com | Expert Predictions, Picks, and Previews homeNFLESPN's Mike Greenberg© Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports ESPN’s Mike Greenberg Begging Jets To Trade For Aaron Rodgers’ Former Packers TeammateCAMERON FLYNN12 HOURS AGOThe Green Bay Packers and New York Jets already made one blockbuster trade this year. ESPN's Mike Greenberg this Thursday says he wants another.  Appearing on Get Up this morning, Greenberg urged the Jets to make a trade for one of Aaron Rodgers' former teammates, Packers' three-time Pro Bowl tackle David Bakhtiari. "Dianna's not reporting it's happening, I'm reporting they should do it," Greenberg started. "The Jets should go out and make a trade for offensive line help immediately, and David Bakhtiari would be the perfect place to start."  Greenberg believes keeping Rodgers upright is the key to the Jets' success in 2023.  "We need [Rodgers] standing as tall when the season ends. Jets - go do it," Greenberg said.  It's certainly a bold trade proposal from Greenberg, but his concerns appear to be valid. Rodgers was reportedly pressured all day at a Jets-Panthers joint practice on Wednesday.   "Pass protection was an issue all day," Jets insider Rich Cimini reported yesterday. "Rodgers was 'sacked' at least 2 times and pressured on a few other dropbacks. OLB Brian Burns was a problem, especially for LT Max Mitchell. Two-minute drive sputtered b/o poor pass pro..."

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 months ago

If we were to ship off Bakh, who takes over at LT? Nijman, ZT or Jenkins? Nijman is alright but clearly struggles against top guys (Hutchinson ate his lunch in week 18 last year and by one account gave up 7 "sacks" to Bengals Trey Hendrickson in joint practice on Tuesday). Putting ZT there means we're gonna be stuck with Myers at C with Hanson most likely as backup. The only safe option would be Jenkins but that means moving him away from his best position and opening a hole there with a lot of unknowns (try Myers there with ZT at C? Rhyan? Newman?). 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
earthquake
9 months ago

If we were to ship off Bakh, who takes over at LT? Nijman, ZT or Jenkins? Nijman is alright but clearly struggles against top guys (Hutchinson ate his lunch in week 18 last year and by one account gave up 7 "sacks" to Bengals Trey Hendrickson in joint practice on Tuesday). Putting ZT there means we're gonna be stuck with Myers at C with Hanson most likely as backup. The only safe option would be Jenkins but that means moving him away from his best position and opening a hole there with a lot of unknowns (try Myers there with ZT at C? Rhyan? Newman?). 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I think it has to be Nijman. If Bahktari is traded (or injured), Nijman is one of the top 5 for sure, and LT is his best position.

(left to right):
Nijman, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom - is an average NFL offensive line.

If Rhyan makes a jump this year maybe he can play one of the interior spots, which would open up either Jenkins or Tom to play LT, with Nijman at RT - which might be a better combination.

It doesn't excite me, but I don't think it would be a disaster. Especially if they can get significant trade value for 31-year-old LT who has missed more games than he has played in the last 3 years.

All that said, if the Packers think Bahktari can hold up this year, I think the smart money is on keeping him and providing the sort of safety blanket that only an elite LT can for a young QB. The last thing I want to see is Jordan Love take 50+ sacks - like Rodgers did twice in his first 5 years as a starter. Avoiding a David Carr sort of situation is worth multiple first round draft picks.
blank
Zero2Cool
9 months ago
The OL in 2014 was a stout unit. Not because of the indivual pieces, but because it was the same five who gelled together. That's what makes a great OL.

As for trading. Unless Jets gonna send us Breece Hall, kick rocks. 
UserPostedImage
9 months ago
EQ wrote 

Nijman, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom - is an average NFL offensive line.

Hardly an NFL average line.   Perhaps an average SEC line.

I can’t think of a worse group.  Two unproven guys at tackle and Nijman has had numerous turnstile moments. Jenkins is terrific. Myers and Runyon are average with Myers seemingly struggling.
Go Packers!!!!
beast
9 months ago

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

You list two different issues, but the Packers are going to have to live with one of those issues either way, even if they keep everyone. 

I'm thinking Myers will be the starting Center, even if we keep everyone. And I'm not sure Hanson makes the roster, as they seem to be trying to replace the Center depth.

As for week 18 against the Lions, I believe Nijman was injured going into that game and the Lions entire DL ate the entire starting Packers OL lunch, and it sure wasn't limited to just Nijman, I think that almost that entire OL starting group had a horrible day.

​If Bakhtiari isn't there, I think you move your best pass blocker there, which is Tom. Nijman to RT and 6'9" Caleb Jones seems to be the top backup OT after that. Though they have also been working Jones at LT. So maybe try him there? And keep Tom in the RT?

Though I don't think Bakhtiari is going anywhere, unless Jets get desperate and offer a ton. And I don't think that will happen until the season, so trade deadline would probably be target. 

I'm sure the Packers want to protect Love, so they wouldn't be giving Bakhtiari away, but they would make Jets pay for him if they wanted him. But if the Jets OT struggle, then the Jets might be that desperate.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (5h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (5h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (5h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (5h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (6h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (8h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (13h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (13h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.