Martha Careful
10 months ago

Packers Could Have their Best ILB Unit in Recent Memory
By GilMartin  Jul 08, 2023

Inside linebacker has been a problem area for the Green Bay Packers in recent years. It has not been a priority for the front office until recently and the team often used street free agents and late round draft picks to fill in the roster.

The lack of elite players at inside linebacker was a contributing factor to the team’s struggling run defense and to the defense’s overall inconsistency during the Aaron Rodgers Era.

But this year, the Packers have a chance to have the best starting duo they’ve had at inside linebacker in more than a decade.
The projected starters this season are De’Vondre Campbell and Quay Walker and if things break right, they could provide the Packers with strong play at the position.

The Packers signed Campbell prior to the 2021 season as a free agent. Campbell had been a steady starter in Atlanta and Arizona, but he was never a star. He felt that playing in the Packers defense would give him an opportunity to showcase his talents, something he never felt he
got the chance to do earlier in his career. He bet on himself by signing a one-year, prove-it contract.

Campbell’s gamble paid off. He enjoyed a career year in 2021, leading the Packers with 146 total tackles, recording two sacks, two interceptions and forcing two fumbles. He also recovered a fumble and had six tackles for loss.

Campbell was able to make plays all over the field. He earned All Pro honors for the first time in his career. The Packers were able to re-sign him to a new contract after they traded Davante Adams to the Raiders last offseason.

Last season was a tougher one for Campbell. He missed four games due to injuries. Early in the season, he felt the need to cover for his inexperienced teammate and tried to do too much to compensate. He missed more tackles in the first four games of 2022 than he did in all the previous season.

Campbell’s play picked up later in the season. Later in the year, he was playing at a high level again and making more plays. That was an encouraging sign for the defense. Campbell hopes he can return to his 2021 form.
The Packers finally spent a first-round pick at inside linebacker last year when they selected Quay Walker. The former Georgia product earned a starting spot in training camp and held it for the entire season.

It took him time to adjust to life in the NFL. Early in the season, he had difficulty reading running plays and was often out of position. That was one reason Campbell’s play was off as he felt the need to cover for his inexperienced teammate.

By the end of the season, Walker was playing better. While he still had more to learn, his outstanding speed helped him make plays against the run and occasionally, to rush the passer when called upon.

He led the team in tackles with 121 including five tackles for loss. He also forced three fumbles, recovered a fumble, and broke up seven passes.

The Packers are hoping Walker can make a second-year jump. He improved late in the season and if he continues along that line, he has the potential to become a very good player.

One issue facing Walker is the need to control his temper. He was ejected from two games as a rookie. Once he shoved a trainer and once a practice squad player. Both incidents took place after the play was over. He cost the Packers 15 yards and his services for the rest of two key games.

Walker has admitted these incidents cannot happen again and he’s had an entire offseason to work on controlling his temper. If he can accomplish that goal, he can take another step forward in his development.

A healthy Campbell and a more experienced Walker would give the Packers their most talented and dynamic starting duo at inside linebacker since the days of A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop.

The talent is there. Now it’s up to Joe Barry and the defensive coaching staff to maximize it and help these players improve the performance of the defense in 2023.  

The talent at LB and in the secondary is there.  With a healthy Gary, there is not reason we should not have a top 5 defense.
Go Packers!!!!
beast
10 months ago

The talent at LB and in the secondary is there.  With a healthy Gary, there is not reason we should not have a top 5 defense.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Um, we got talent at Safety?

This defense has a ton of physical potential, but until I see some more of the potential turn into developed talent I'm not certain about making bold statements.

Simply put, if they clean up their rallying to the ball and tackling, they can easily regain their 2021 form AND have more talent now than then.

But I still think if the Defensive front doesn't dominant certain games, then we might have issues at Safety.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 months ago

Top Five by what metric? Team passer rating differential? Yards? Points given up? 

Talent hasn't been an issue with the Packers Defense. LB and DB got the talent. It's reaching the potential that seems to be the issue. I kinda blame that on coaching. And then I also wonder what the talent is that I'm seeing and maybe the coaches are getting more out of the talent that I give them credit for. 
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 months ago

I can think of one reason:
UserPostedImage

Joe Barry aside, I agree with the premise of the article. A nice rebound season from Campbell and a step forward from Quay would probably make them best duo in the middle since the team switched from 4-3 to a 3-4 defense over a decade ago. The only other combos that are comparable off the top of my head would be Barnett+Hawk and Bishop+Hawk. 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Martha Careful
10 months ago
From Tyler Dunnes Mailbag on Safeties...FWIW:

Hey Tyler,
Been a Green Bay fan my whole life. Was wondering how you feel about the safety positions this year going into the season and their lack of addressing them. I almost feel as if I would like to see Rasul Douglas move to safety once Eric Stokes is healthy because I think he is our best option there. I have little to no faith in Savage. Jonathan Owens does interest me, but he’s more of a break glass in case of emergency-type than an everyday safety. Thanks for the insight and as always, GO PACK GO! — Drew from Illinois

Timing wasn’t on Green Bay’s side at safety. There were a heap of options available in free agency, and I’m still surprised Jordan Poyer couldn’t draw more interest on the open market. Obviously, GM Brian Gutekunst didn’t have disposable income while plotting his Aaron Rodgers exit strategy. It sounds like the Packers are confident in Darnell Savage starting at one safety spot. He’s a lightning rod, to be sure. But the 2019 first-rounder has logged 3,500+ snaps. After a midseason benching — following Green Bay’s Nov. 17 loss to Tennessee — the Packers seem to be rebooting their confidence in him. Safeties coach Ryan Downard said he liked Savage’s athleticism in the deep middle. For all of his tackling inconsistencies, he does have 4.36 speed. And he did have eight interceptions his first three seasons. After seeing the Packers cycle through so many pedestrian safeties a decade ago on the beat, I have a hard time completely giving up on someone with talent. One of Ted Thompson’s biggest mistakes was forcing Dom Capers to play fringe NFL safeties at various points — Jerron McMillian, M.D. Jennings, Sean Richardson — and then letting Micah Hyde walk to Buffalo. First-rounder Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was fine, but will most certainly go down for this gaffe in the NFC Championship Game.

The Packers don’t really have a choice after picking up Savage’s fifth-year option. He’ll be given every opportunity to be what they’ve always envisioned as the first defensive back selected in the ‘19 draft. Downard told the local media that Savage is at his best pulling the trigger. Trusting himself. Like he did in college. They’re not giving up hope — nor should they. One year ago, Downard said that Savage “has the ability to be an elite player in this league,” citing his ability to never make the same mistake twice. The coach’s tone hasn’t changed publicly. He wants Savage to do a better job of tackling and taking on blocks, but said this spring he’s proud of the way he clawed his way back after a benching that could’ve broken him.

If Savage gets back to his earlier form — and takes another step as a playmaker — this is a completely different Packers defense.

He may be the key to it all.

At the other safety spot, the competition is wide open. Rudy Ford may have an inside track but I’d keep an eye on Anthony Johnson Jr., the seventh-round pick out of Iowa State. His strength (tackling, violence) is needed. Film junkie Ben Fennell had high praise for the pick, saying immediately that Johnson could be a starter. He noted his willingness to take on linemen, sort through trash, and included this whopper of a tackle. Either way, the Packers know both safeties need to be interchangeable for Joe Barry’s defense to take off.

Go Packers!!!!
beast
10 months ago

From Tyler Dunnes Mailbag on Safeties...FWIW:

So basically nicely saying a 7th round rookie could be the starter because we got nothing.

I still want to know why Johnson dropped to the 7th despite every non-NFL team seemingly having a couple round higher value in him. 

My best on field guess is that they don't think he's an NFL CB  nor slot CB and he really hasn't played much true deep Safety. Even his year as Safety was less than 50% of his snaps were deep as he played near the line in a slot CB or Dime LB or SS LB roles. But a number of slot Safeties were selected before him, even some that were thought to be graded below him.

I forget which writer, but one of them really liked what they were seeing from S Moore and thought he would be the starter with Savage, and suggested Ford was taking too many chances and risks, and better QBs will burn him with those.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 months ago
A topic about LB's and we're talking Safeties, lol. Eh, better than crickets!

I recall during at draft time S Anthony Johnson Jr could shock some people and win a Safety spot. 

It's interesting to me how we (primarily) think about where a player was drafted during the off-season. As if it matters at all once they put on pads. Haven't we seen enough day one guys flame out and day three guys succeed to stop this yet?

The top four we have at safety are probably Darnell Savage, Jonathan Owens, Rudy Ford and Innis Gaines. 

Keisean Nixon played well in the slot didn't he? 

It'll be interesting to see how the DC utilizes the talent he has. Most schemes are not the typical base anymore. No one really runs a true 3-4 or 4-3. Usually it's a sub package that's leveraged. 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 months ago
I am excited to see a healthy De'Vondre Campbell and hopefully more mature Quay Walker. I wonder if they'll have Quay blitzing more this season? I recall him succeeding in that role quite a bit.

I'm not really sure about Tariq Carpenter or Eric Wilson or even the rookie Brenton Cox. If they can spell the starters without getting destroyed, that's a win. But the starters need to really be thumpers.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 months ago

A topic about LB's and we're talking Safeties, lol. Eh, better than crickets!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well ILBers are pretty much set, not much to talk about if they stay healthy. Only real thing to talk about, if they're forced to keep 4, whom is the odd man out, ST Vet Wilson or S/ILB Carpenter on a cheaper/longer contract.

But they have seemed to be keeping 5 ILBers lately for STs reasons.

And IF they stay healthy and play up to their potential, this is by far the best group of ILB talent we have had since (I don't remember when)... but have to go back to the 90s or before....

​​​​​​

It's interesting to me how we (primarily) think about where a player was drafted during the off-season. As if it matters at all once they put on pads. Haven't we seen enough day one guys flame out and day three guys succeed to stop this yet?

Well that's the best we got, especially since we haven't seen Johnson at true Safety much, never in the Pros, never in Highschool and barely in College.

And teams are supposed to be the experts at talent evaluation (though they get stuff wrong every year, but they're the best we got since it's their full time jobs that I assume they pour millions into each year.

And if none of them seemed to want a guy, there usually a reason... like someone talking shit about them, though those reasons are sometimes unfounded.

The top four we have at safety are probably Darnell Savage, Jonathan Owens, Rudy Ford and Innis Gaines. 

I'm not sure Gaines is in the top 6.

Here is my guessing list at the top guys
#1: Savage
Battle for #2: Ford, Moore, Owens
The Unknown: Johnson
The ST Expert: Leavitt

​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 months ago
Did you guys think AJ Hawk was great? 

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (18h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (19h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.