beast
9 months ago

I am excited to see a healthy De'Vondre Campbell and hopefully more mature Quay Walker. I wonder if they'll have Quay blitzing more this season? I recall him succeeding in that role quite a bit.

I'm not really sure about Tariq Carpenter or Eric Wilson or even the rookie Brenton Cox. If they can spell the starters without getting destroyed, that's a win. But the starters need to really be thumpers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm thinking we're going to be seeing more of a 5 man front with Walker clearly in a coverage role as a LB/S tweener. But possibly more blitzing from the 4-2 sub packages.

Cox is an Edge Rusher. 

Campbell can be a king of all trades (but can he be an Ace at anything?)

Walker is your coverage/speed guy, almost like a SS in a LB body.

McDuffie is your clear #3.

Wilson is your Vet STer.

Carpenter is probably mainly going to be STs, and backing up the coverage Walker role as he's been at Safety his entire career and now getting converted to ILB.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago

Did you guys think AJ Hawk was great? 

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Hell no... not great. Good, consistent, reliable, average to above average, sure... Great, no.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 months ago

AJ Hawk was a prolific tackler and super reliable to be on the field. I would say he was a good LB, but can't say he was great. When he was drafted, everyone thought he pretty much hit his ceiling in college and he was really damn good in college. He wasn't going to be someone who was going to change the game, but he was going to be someone that wouldn't get beat, but also wasn't really going to beat anyone. That's why some were bemoaning taking LB in the top ten. Thing is though, trading back requires a partner to give you something you feel is adequate in return.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago

AJ Hawk was a prolific tackler and super reliable to be on the field. I would say he was a good LB, but can't say he was great. When he was drafted, everyone thought he pretty much hit his ceiling in college and he was really damn good in college. He wasn't going to be someone who was going to change the game, but he was going to be someone that wouldn't get beat, but also wasn't really going to beat anyone. That's why some were bemoaning taking LB in the top ten. Thing is though, trading back requires a partner to give you something you feel is adequate in return.

I will also say that I thought Hawk and Brady Poppinga both looked better in an attacking style of defense, then got placed at OLB in Jim Bates/Bob Sanders system where LBers were asked to react and OLBers were specifically asked take on blockers and funnel the plays back into the MLB. Which I wondered if that might of been too old school at the time. As far as I know, that thought process has died out in the NFL. And after their time with the Packers, neither Bates nor Sanders served consecutive years as Defensive Coordinator again (Sanders is still coaching LBers with the Buccaneers).

But it took Hawk and Poppinga some adjustment time to go from attacking style to full reacting style and then even worse, when we went back to the attacking style when the Packers went to a 3-4, it seemed like they could no longer go full on attack mode again, as they seemed to be over thinking. (Just my interpretation and) that held them both back from reaching their true potential.

Also just looking back in defensive Coordinators, it probably did not help that the team kept switching Coordinators there.

2003 - Ed Donatell (2000-2003)
2004 - Bob Slowik (DB coach under Donatell)
2005 - Jim Bates (DC for Dolphins since 2000)
2006 - Bob Sanders (Coached under Bates since 2001 and was Packers DC from 2006 to 2008)

Changing Coordinator often there. Not sure why they all left, but Sherman was probably on the hot seat in 2004 at least as he lost his GM duties in 2005 and we got a new head coach in 2006.

My understanding is that Jim Bates left because he interviewed for the head coaching job and did not get it, leaving him pissed that once again he was passed over (in 2004, the Dolphins head coach resigned after a 1-8 start and as interim head coach Bates finished the season 3-4 and some thought he might get a chance to continue as full time head coach, but they hired Nick Saban, whom was not interested in keeping Bates around).
​​​​​

But my overall point being, I feel like the the Scouts were drafting aggressive style players for a reactive style scheme (which is not ideal) and the coaches using/teaching a possibility out of date scheme also did not help the players maximize their potential.

Like drafting Stokes (Man Coverage CB) for an extremely Zone Heavy Scheme didn't seem ideal either. Though note Georgia did play a lot of of coverage, but their CBs are freaks of natures that are usually better in Man Coverage and the great pass rush and great athletic abilities get them through with Zone responsibilities.

​​​​
​​​​​
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 months ago

I liked Brian Noble in the middle. Hawk was ok but didn't quite have that extra gear when it came to speed. Way better than Blake Martinez tho.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Martha Careful
9 months ago
As long as we are going down memory lane....I liked Ray Nitschke
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Go Packers!!!!
Mucky Tundra
9 months ago

Great? Nope! Average to occasionally above average? Yeah. I only listed him with Barnett and Bishop in the top ILB duos from the past because on the whole the position has been a black hole as far as talent goes. It's been refreshing to see competent play from Campbell (more so his 2021 season) and Walker the past two seasons. 

In defense of Hawk (and lord knows I've lit him up here), he was a 4-3 WLB who was moved inside for duties he wasn't really well suited for (taking on offensive lineman). My understanding was that he was a textbook WLB and had he stayed in a 4-3 defense at that position he would have been a good one. 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
9 months ago
Situation at Safety is like that time when we had a bunch of scrubs at WR and needed one to step up and Lazard was the man. Remember his breakout game in Detroit? 

Let's see a couple of these guys show us something. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (17m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (23m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (24m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (25m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (26m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (23h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.