nerdmann
3 years ago
Packers HC Matt LaFleur is informing some candidates that they didn’t make the finals for the defensive coordinator job. The three finalists appear to be Joe Barry, Ejiro Evero, and Jim Leonhard
(Per Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

Can't find the link. Might be a tweet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Packers HC Matt LaFleur is informing some candidates that they didn’t make the finals for the defensive coordinator job. The three finalists appear to be Joe Barry, Ejiro Evero, and Jim Leonhard
(Per Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

Can't find the link. Might be a tweet.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think Packers fans want Jim Leonhard because of the Wisconsin connection. I also remember Packers fans pinning for Leonhard years ago too.

This one?

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
Per Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Ejiro Evero and Jim Leonhard are the two front runners for the Packers defensive coordinator job and it is “Jim Leonhard’s job if he wants it”
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Per Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Ejiro Evero and Jim Leonhard are the two front runners for the Packers defensive coordinator job and it is “Jim Leonhard’s job if he wants it”

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Packers’ job offer: “It was me choosing UW. I want to stay at UW. I want to be at this level right now. Extremely flattered. Awesome opportunity. But it was not the right time for me to go back to the NFL.”

I'm not sure why you would interview for a job if it's not the "right time". I dunno. Maybe the interview process is what made him realize he's not ready? Maybe he knew and this is something that can be pitched to recruits? Hey, our DC was sought after by the Green Bay Packers!

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

Packers’ job offer: “It was me choosing UW. I want to stay at UW. I want to be at this level right now. Extremely flattered. Awesome opportunity. But it was not the right time for me to go back to the NFL.”

I'm not sure why you would interview for a job if it's not the "right time". I dunno. Maybe the interview process is what made him realize he's not ready? Maybe he knew and this is something that can be pitched to recruits? Hey, our DC was sought after by the Green Bay Packers!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree. Why interview if you have no desire to take the job?
Being as he has been the D guy at Wisconsin, how could he not be ready to move up to the “major league”?
I really wanted him as DC.
Very disappointed.

UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
3 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't blame Leonhard - maybe his mind changed towards the end, maybe the contract terms offered by the Packers weren't more money/term than what he has at UW, or maybe Leonhard used the Packers offer as leverage to get something at his current job (all the more power to him in any of the cases).

This is pretty embarrassing for MLF, though. In just two seasons as HC MLF has managed to have two coordinators that were his "1st choice" reject offers form the packers (the ST's coach job was offered to someone else in MLF's first season, and now Leonhard). LaFleur is a very young coach with minimal coordinator experience, so there will be growing pains. At the very least, LaFleur should have known prior to offering the job whether Leonhard would've accepted.

Also unnecessarily, LaFleur and whoever he chooses have to field questions and media/fan scrutiny of his choice being the fallback option. That's a tough position to put yourself and your subordinates in. This should never have been known publicly... fact that it is shows MLF has some growing to do still.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
nerdmann
3 years ago
A little embarrassing, but I like their openness. We're experiencing it with them.

After all these years of constantly "saying the right thing," it's refreshing. Matt's not ashamed, and has nothing to hide.

After all these years of hearing nothing but Ari Fleischer-speak after the Burt Favor retirement fiasco, I like the forthrightness.

The team will now close ranks around the new selection, say all the right things and pay the new guy an extra couple hundred thousand. The new guy will work extra hard to prove he was the right choice.
nerdmann
3 years ago
So, what do we know about Ejiro Evero?
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I'm not seeing how this is at all embarrassing. As for the Special Teams, that guy wanted more money than the Packers were willing to pay, right? So, how's that embarrassing for LaFleur?

This is how things go everyday throughout every hiring process.

Maybe Leonard wouldn't have been good in NFL? Maybe whomever is offered the position and accepts will be good?

Fsr from embarrassing, especially when you understand many details are not known, nor should be assumed.

As a wise man once said...
"Just The Fax Ma’am, Just The Fax"

😜

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
This is a good read. Makes some sense of why Leonard interviewed in the first place and you see it was a difficult decision to turn it down. Sounds like he felt he was ready and when it came time to punch the ticket he froze up and realized he wasn't ready. That bothers me some, but I respect it. He could have rolled with it and tried faking it until he made it.

https://madison.com/sports/college/football/jim-leonhard-turns-down-packers-offer-says-hes-staying-with-badgers/article_854c0a50-7831-5f70-beb4-248f26f63722.html 
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.