Zero2Cool
3 years ago

The Packers have at least one possible in-house replacement -- defensive backs coach Jerry Gray. The long-time assistant coach joined the Packers this past season and has served as defensive coordinator on two different occasions -- for the Buffalo Bills (2001-05) and Tennessee Titans (2011-13). This was his 24th season as an NFL assistant coach following a Pro Bowl playing career.

Joe Whitt Jr is available too. I think he interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys DC job.

Other names I've read bounced around.

Wade Phillips
Jim Leonhard
Mike Smith
Kris Richard
Mike Caldwell
Jim Haslett
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
3 years ago

Joe Whitt Jr is available too. I think he interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys DC job.

Other names I've read bounced around.

Wade Phillips
Jim Leonhard
Mike Smith
Kris Richard
Mike Caldwell
Jim Haslett

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Id take phillips
Cheesey
3 years ago
Jim Leonhard would be my pick. If they can get him.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
This is going to be an interesting pick as it's going to be a big reflection on MLF. Pettine was a holdover that came with the job and now it's all on MLF. Phillips seems like the safest choice with the LA Rams connection/known ability to come in and gets quick returns. Whitt Jr probably got the most mileage out of guys compared to other D position coaches during his time in Green Bay and could really help the secondary. Haslett is a name that's bounced around the NFL a lot but I'm not sure about how defensive units under him faired. The rest of the guys I don't know much about.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
3 years ago
I really enjoyed Wade Phillips scheme back in the day, but didn't McVay (LaFleur very good friend) fire him because he wouldn't adjust his scheme? I think Phillips NFL career is done, he had the perfect setup with the Rams... and Packers don't currently have the DL nor CBs for his scheme.

Other options

Jerry Gray (Packers defensive backs coach)

Mike Smith (Packers outside linebackers coach)

Kris Richard, former Seahawks DC.

Jerod Mayo, Patriots star ILB turned defensive coach. And while former Patriots head coaches have not faired well, former Patriots turned defensive coordinators have down pretty well.

Marvin Lewis, did great with what he was given, even if the Bengals GM was completely shitty at his job (Bengals GM is their owner)

Stephen Belichick, Bill's son and has basically coached all over the defense.

Teryl Austin was the coordinator of some good Lions defenses between 2014 and 2018. He's been a top assistant for the Steelers defense the last two seasons and could be ready for a return to leading a defense.

I think I'd prefer someone from the Vic Fangio or Belichick coaching trees.

No idea, where LaFleur will go with this one. I was kinda hoping the Broncos or Titans would fire their head coaches should we need a new DC and try to hire them, etc.

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
Already conducting interviews

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
We have to root for a name that blends well with "Fire". FireCapers rolled off the tongue smooth. FirePettine did as well. Maybe everything will? Anyhow, it is a requirement for our fan base.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
3 years ago
I personally think we should roll with Jimmy Leonard. He is a home grown guy but he is also running the Baltimore Ravens 3-4 scheme which he played many years in. He has done a great job in Wisconsin by bringing in that defense and the best thing is his attitude, he was a walk on with a give it all attitude and that rubs off on players. We have the players to run his defense i believe, plus Zadarius is used to that system. Thats just my thoughts, plus he could help with the special teams return guys as he did that very well also.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I agree with Hazer. Leonard is the guy I want.
He gets the most out of his guys.
And his full name isn’t Fireleonard!😂
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
3 years ago

I personally think we should roll with Jimmy Leonard. He is a home grown guy but he is also running the Baltimore Ravens 3-4 scheme which he played many years in. He has done a great job in Wisconsin by bringing in that defense and the best thing is his attitude, he was a walk on with a give it all attitude and that rubs off on players. We have the players to run his defense i believe, plus Zadarius is used to that system. Thats just my thoughts, plus he could help with the special teams return guys as he did that very well also.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

The same 3-4 system that Mike Pettine has coached for the better part of the last 2 decades, you mean? If the qualification is Ravens' 3-4 system, why not go with Rex Ryan - the guy who made that style of defence infamous? Or simply bring Pettine back, who taught Leonard the system for, literally, almost all of Leonard's career. And I want my DC focused on one thing: managing and overseeing the defense; he's not the ST coordinator. The one thing I will say for Leonard is that he played next to Ed Reed - he'd definitely have pointers for Savage that could prove useful.

It's interesting that MLF has been interviewing coaches across both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. I don't know if MLF has a preference for scheme, which is kind of the thing that limits the ability to make any guess on who he'd be leaning towards. I can't imagine the interviews run too much longer; hopefully we have a DC by the end of next week.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (14h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (18h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.