go.pack.go.
4 years ago
I’m just going to make a topic of its own. I’m watching some draft stuff on NFL Network and they’re talking about receivers taken in the 5th/6th/7th rounds that in a normal year would’ve been a 3rd or 4th round pick.

This was an extremely deep draft for the receiver position. Receiver is one of our biggest needs, and has been for 2-3 years now. Yet we ended up with not a single one in the entire draft. I’ve seen a lot of slot-type receivers taken in the draft, which is basically exactly what we need.

So my question is, what’s the excuse? I don’t feel like there is one. Ridiculous.

The 49ers gave Marquise Goodwin to the Eagles in exchange for swapping 6th round picks. You’re telling me we couldn’t have gotten in on something like that? Even if we gave them a 5th for their 6th. I feel like the niners would’ve shopped him around before doing that, so we should’ve been given the opportunity. That would’ve upgraded this offense immediately.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
It was both surprising and disappointing.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I’m just going to make a topic of its own. I’m watching some draft stuff on NFL Network and they’re talking about receivers taken in the 5th/6th/7th rounds that in a normal year would’ve been a 3rd or 4th round pick.

This was an extremely deep draft for the receiver position. Receiver is one of our biggest needs, and has been for 2-3 years now. Yet we ended up with not a single one in the entire draft. I’ve seen a lot of slot-type receivers taken in the draft, which is basically exactly what we need.

So my question is, what’s the excuse? I don’t feel like there is one. Ridiculous.

The 49ers gave Marquise Goodwin to the Eagles in exchange for swapping 6th round picks. You’re telling me we couldn’t have gotten in on something like that? Even if we gave them a 5th for their 6th. I feel like the niners would’ve shopped him around before doing that, so we should’ve been given the opportunity. That would’ve upgraded this offense immediately.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

I was with you on the Marquise Goodwin trade. Eagles and 49ers swap like 20 spots in 6th round and Eagles get a WR? I thought WTF, we couldn't straight up offer a 6th for him? Then I dug into Marquise Goodwin who is 29 years old and had 12 receptions last season. Maybe he was injured?

Anyhow, what WR would have helped the Packers immediately? There are absolutely exceptions to the "rule" that it takes 2-3 years for WR's to coming to their own. I agree with those saying this draft has Matt LaFleur's fingerprints all over it. If this is what our offensive coordinator / head coach wants, who the hell are we to bitch about it?

There isn't excuse because one isn't needed. The Packers know their scheme and their direction. These so-called "NFL Experts" are nothing more than talking heads who mostly conjure their opinions based off box scores and highlights. I wouldn't trust them as far as you can throw them. I've found them make numerous mistakes over and over again. I'm talking glaring mistakes that even the common person who can use Google wouldn't make. Hell, Chris Havel, a former Packers beat writer on his radio show few weeks ago kept saying the Packers traded two 1st round picks for Brett Favre! This wasn't a slip up, he said it numerous times before commercial break and after. How about Bob McGinn recently citing a FAKE Ian Rapoport tweet to get people believing Rodgers was enraged by the drafting of Jordan Love? Majority of reporters don't give two shits about informing people. They care about self preservation via clicks.

These "expert" reporters are a joke. I've been saying it and proving it well over a decade. They are not out to inform us, they are out to get our attention. Why? Because our attention equals dollars. Banging the "Packers need WR" drum is low-hanging fruit that the common armchair GM can easily buy into. It's a herd mentality.

Check this out. These clowns are what people buy into. It's absurd.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Reading am article and stumbled onto this. 🤔🤔

“We really like the group of receivers we have. We think there’s some guys really coming into their own,” Gutekunst said. “If the right players would have been there when we picked, if we had the opportunities we liked, we certainly would have considered it. It just didn’t happen.”

Gutekunst also insisted that even had the Packers invested in a wide receiver, the odds were against that player having an immediate impact, just as other standout wideouts in recent Packers history were unable to break through as rookies.

“Rookie classes, the impact initially is not that great. It’s usually Year 2 and Year 3 where you feel the impact of the draft class. We’re excited about the guys we got, and we felt we were disciplined enough to not reach for positions of need. I like our football team right now. It doesn’t mean it won’t change, but I like where we’re at.”

https://madison.com/sports/football/professional/i-like-our-football-team-amid-less-than-glowing-reviews-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-sees/article_2304b345-5170-5f13-a8c7-4f05480436e9.html 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
This was a statement to Aaron that he does not run the franchise.

Aaron essentially ordered the signingvof Jimmy Graham, ordered the firing of the GM, then the coach, ordered $100million dollar contract, making him very difficult to trade.

He doesn't want to step into his throws. He doesn't want to hit the open guy. He doesn't want to run the play thst is called. Won't snap the ball with time on the play clock. Yet the team is supposed to be d over backwards to "get him weapons." To "get Aaron a ring."

So now now Aaron is expecting to get his way, as usual. But instead of drafting a big name "weapon," they draft his REPLACEMENT.

And they go out of their way to NOT draft a WR. They grab weapons for the RUN game.

Let's see if Aaron shuts his pie hole and gets with the program. Because THAT is his best chance for getting a ring.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
Zero, I understand that a lot of the times receivers don’t make an impact until year 2 or 3. It’s not just about this year. What about next year or the year after? Why not go ahead and get the ball rolling on developing one of these receivers from this historically deep receiver class, instead of waiting another year? Especially when we could’ve gotten a good value pick in later rounds?

With that being said, hopefully MVS, EQ, or Kumerow will step up to the plate. They certainly haven’t yet.

Let's see if Aaron shuts his pie hole and gets with the program. Because THAT is his best chance for getting a ring.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Sounds like you’re reading into the fake articles talking about how Rodgers is self centered and doesn’t listen to coaching. Quite funny actually. If you would look past your hatred for Rodgers, then you too would see our glaring need at the WR position.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I've said it before and gopackgo is saying it now, 100% of the draft is for the future. Not a single player is drafted with the expectation he will be on the team for 1 or 2 years only. They are going to be there for a min of 4 years and hopefully a min of another 3 beyond that. (Yes some of the drafted players don't make the team. Some are injured. Some only last 2 or 3 years.)

If it takes 2 or 3 years for a WR or any player to hit his stride, waiting another year to draft a WR is only delaying the clock. If Gute and MLF don't feel they were getting value with the WRs that were still on the board, that is a separate issue. I find it a little hard to believe that none of the WR who were available in the 6th and 7th rounds were of less value than the OL they drafted but it is what it is.

Nerd- only the media has ever suggested "getting another ring for Aaron". The team and fans are all about getting a ring for the Packers.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
Link 

“This is a team in the last years of the Aaron Rodgers era, and Rodgers still has a lot on the ball. Not only did the Packers not do anything to help him, they seemed to go out of their way to antagonize their best player. It’s difficult to understand the logic here.”

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
4 years ago
They like Funchess, and the young guys.

And want to actually run the system the way it's supposed to be run.

People claim the Packers didn't draft for need, I say those people are wrong. It's just that fans and media only see need as a one year immediately right now item. But teams look at muliple years.

RB Jones, C Linsley, G Taylor are all going into contract years, Bulaga left via FA, while OL Madison might be recovering from his last year injury all year. Plus if OG Turner doesn't have a better year he's large contract could be released for.cap savings. So RB and OL we're large needs

We've released Graham and lost ILB Martinez and FB Vitale in FA, and verstile blockers are huge in this system. So H-Back and ILB was a huge need.

With exception of Rounds 1 and 7, all our selections were needed positions/selections, just they weren't the most flashy or most needed in our opinions. The expects had a different opinion.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago
They like Funchess, and the young guys.

And want to actually run the system the way it's supposed to be run.

People claim the Packers didn't draft for need, I say those people are wrong. It's just that fans and media only see need as a one year immediately right now item. But teams look at muliple years.

RB Jones, C Linsley, G Taylor are all going into contract years, Bulaga left via FA, while OL Madison might be recovering from his last year injury all year. Plus if OG Turner doesn't have a better year he's large contract could be released for.cap savings. So RB and OL we're large needs

We've released Graham and lost ILB Martinez and FB Vitale in FA, and verstile blockers are huge in this system. So H-Back and ILB was a huge need.

With exception of Rounds 1 and 7, all our selections were needed positions/selections, just they weren't the most flashy or most needed in our opinions. The experts had a different opinion.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (10h) : damn those vikings
beast (10h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (17h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (18h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.