yooperfan
6 years ago
The big problem looks like it will be the offensive line.
With Bulaga out and Spriggs and Murphy in, it was absolutely necessary to get Rodgers out of the game early.
If the injury bug takes a bite out of the OL starters during the season things look to get ugly.
Murphy looked a tad better than Spriggs but that's not saying much.
Hopefully Ted can snag a couple of veteran offensive linemen at cut down time who can shore up the O-line.
The way the backups look now has disaster written all over it.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Boy, howdy. I'm not so sure CB isn't a bigger concern or OLB, but that's definitely reason for pause. Ol' Mutha Hubbard has left the cupboard bare.

The Vikings and Seahawks don't have it any better than we do.

Spriggs has made Barclay look like a HOFer. I used to think Barclay was the worst recurring OL I'd ever seen in GB. If Spriggs is with us next year and is still this bad, he takes the title away. Spriggs looks to have a promising career in bullfighting waiting for him. He needs a Paul on the road to Damascus turn around. He's draft and didn't develop as of now.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
Barclay is ok as a back up as long as he never lines up at tackle, strictly C/G. Murphy is the only back up on the roster i'd even think about putting on the edge and he's put in 2 decent weeks in a row from what I've seen.

The big problem to me is OLB depth. Perry is our only olb who is a consistent threat of a pass rush (hope to god that ankle injury is nothing). Clay is a good versatile player but he's not going to get consistent pressure off the edge he gets swallowed up too often 1 on 1 but still a good player as a starter. Fackrell to me is ok as a rotational guy but more of a versatile type player you can move around and use in coverage, not a every down pass rush threat. Elliott can't stay healthy and isn't much threat when he is, he won't help us. Biegel was my favorite draft pick but we haven't seen him in action. Gilbert looks good against the scrubs but he'd be a big win if he ever ends up as an average type starter.

I think we need a vet here especially with 2 injury prone starters. I think Brooks would be a good signing, Kony Ealy I believe had the combine agility scores that the team likes but hasn't played OLB, Datone might get cut by Minnesota. None of them may even be interested in signing in GB but it's worth looking into at least until we get a chance to see what we've got with Biegel.
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Backups at OLB and OL are still unproven. Starters at CB are still unproven. That would make the CB position the first concern as far as I'm concerned, but the others are just an injury away.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Smokey
6 years ago

Backups at OLB and OL are still unproven. Starters at CB are still unproven. That would make the CB position the first concern as far as I'm concerned, but the others are just an injury away.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I agree, and I believe that GB's last preseason game will see a greater amount of playing time for the #1's . They must get sharp together before facing Seattle in the season opener. Yes the #2's will also get their time as well , but coaches will be looking at making the final cuts and some players will be lucky if they get in the game at all .

IMO , the CB's were and still are the most suspect position for the Team . I've not yet passed any judgments against/for the Packer's Secondary , but they do show signs of life .

Finally , I believe that GB may just be blessed with a truly "Special" , Special Teams squad in 2017. From the Kickers to the Blockers to the Gunners , I feel they are going to be Electric .

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
The plan was to pull Aaron after 2 series.
Because the 2nd series ended with a sack, there is panic.

None of know what is going to happen the next 7 days, except of course, The Packers will play there last preseason game, make their cuts to 53, sign 10 guys to their practice squad.

That is all we know, no sense worrying about it all week.

Ted and company have been doing this a long time, if they feel the need to sign another FA, and the right player is available, pretty sure it will happen.

Nothing to do now but sit back and relax, enjoy the young guys next week as they try to make an impression on The Packers or another team, then get ready for Opening day!!!

The only problem i see is too much worrying.

Enjoy The game!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Smokey
6 years ago
There is a strong difference between a spirited discussion and a panic room . Possibly Buckeye your transferring some of your home environment as you read the member's post . I did not read worry into any post as you did . I would agree that the Packer's future appears favorable and yes injuries are always a concern .

"The Big Problem" , Ted Thompson , but that's for another thread . [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I agree, and I believe that GB's last preseason game will see a greater amount of playing time for the #1's . They must get sharp together before facing Seattle in the season opener. Yes the #2's will also get their time as well , but coaches will be looking at making the final cuts and some players will be lucky if they get in the game at all .

IMO , the CB's were and still are the most suspect position for the Team . I've not yet passed any judgments against/for the Packer's Secondary , but they do show signs of life .

Finally , I believe that GB may just be blessed with a truly "Special" , Special Teams squad in 2017. From the Kickers to the Blockers to the Gunners , I feel they are going to be Electric .

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Starters very unlikely to play much if at all in the 4th preseason game.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
6 years ago

Because the 2nd series ended with a sack, there is panic.

None of know what is going to happen the next 7 days, except of course, The Packers will play there last preseason game, make their cuts to 53, sign 10 guys to their practice squad.

That is all we know, no sense worrying about it all week.

Ted and company have been doing this a long time, if they feel the need to sign another FA, and the right player is available, pretty sure it will happen.

Nothing to do now but sit back and relax, enjoy the young guys next week as they try to make an impression on The Packers or another team, then get ready for Opening day!!!

The only problem i see is too much worrying.

Enjoy The game!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Did they say ahead of time that Aaron was gonna get two series? Because normally he plays more than that in the third preseason game.

Looked alot like the staff has no confidence in Spriggs. And we can see why.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

And you know this how?
That's not what I read, but what I read could have been incorrect.
Generally the starters play at least a half in the third preseason game.
Rodgers didn't even have a chance to get lathered up and get in any kind of rhythm.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.