wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Third and fourth string guys, starting out the season.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

So you are saying you would rather have a 5th string guy who was not good enough to even make the team last year and was mediocre enough that 31 other teams didn't want him either thus GB was able to keep him on the PS to be the new starting LT? He was poor enough at tackle they tried him at guard which should be an easier lace for him and he stinks there too.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

So you are saying you would rather have a 5th string guy who was not good enough to even make the team last year and was mediocre enough that 31 other teams didn't want him either thus GB was able to keep him on the PS to be the new starting LT? He was poor enough at tackle they tried him at guard which should be an easier lace for him and he stinks there too.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The Packers did the same thing to Newhouse, and Bulaga iirc. They both sucked inside, because they don't fit there. Sherrod too.

I'm not ready to anoint anyone right now. But it's time to see what we've got.

If Ted has to make a move, then we need to know about it, sooner rather than later.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
F.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

The Packers did the same thing to Newhouse, and Bulaga iirc. They both sucked inside, because they don't fit there. Sherrod too.

I'm not ready to anoint anyone right now. But it's time to see what we've got.

If Ted has to make a move, then we need to know about it, sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

My point was that Datko stunk at tackle as well last year. It wasn't that Bulaga stunk at guard he just wasn't better as a rookie than the players ahead of him. It was never going to be his real position any more than guard would have been Sherrod's position.

Neither Newhouse nor Bulaga were so poor that they had been cut and were able to sit all year on the PS like Datko did. Datko at best is a 3rd string player. Or using your terms, if Bakhtiari and Newhouse are 3rd and 4th stringers then Datko, who is not as good as them, is a 5th stringer.

By your using Newhouse and Bulaga as rookies as your example to defend Datko you forget how few rookies become starter in their first year.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
10 years ago
UserPostedImage

Seriously, this is some damning news. What does this team have to do to stop some big time injury before the season even begins?

Packers DO NOT have a decent option to back this injury up. I haven't seen anyone mention his name yet...Barclay. He was playing really well at RT last year. I think this most likely solidifies his starting position there(unless I am missing something). This puts Newhouse back at LT which is down right awful news. Bahktiari has been playing well but where do you slide him in at? I'd much prefer him over Newhouse but putting a rookie at LT is scary.

Wish Ted can go out and find something better than Newhouse. The positive is playing next to Sitton. That is bound to help who is playing LT.

And what is the overall NFL count at for torn ACLs now? 5? My gosh...
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Who knows? Maybe Newhouse will play better at LT with Sitton next to him rather than Lang?

Given that they've already made the switch, I'd rather they keep Sitton at LG.

I pooh-poohed the switcheroonie when it was first announced. But perhaps having Newhouse next to an All-Pro (even if said All-Pro is himself learning a new position) rather than an average/serviceable LG will make Newhouse's job just enough easier to up his game.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I think some players may be coming back too quickly from injuries before their body is ready.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
10 years ago
I am not one to condone PANIC trades/acquisitions, but if there were ever a time to make one...

We just shelled out the farm and a half for A-Rod, if he cant stay on his feet twas all in vane. I trust Marshall "revolving door" Newhouse about as far as I could throw his 300+ pound ass and as special as Bak has been reported to look, tis awfully scary to put a rookie out there week one against the SMITHS.

Albert out in KC might be available for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and maybe looking to a rebuilding franchise and offering a few picks for a mainstay LT tackle. Although something of the proportion (requiring at least a 1st rounder) is unlikely in the Ted Thompson game plan.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Who knows? Maybe Newhouse will play better at LT with Sitton next to him rather than Lang?

Given that they've already made the switch, I'd rather they keep Sitton at LG.

I pooh-poohed the switcheroonie when it was first announced. But perhaps having Newhouse next to an All-Pro (even if said All-Pro is himself learning a new position) rather than an average/serviceable LG will make Newhouse's job just enough easier to up his game.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

or Josh Sitton suffers because he's trying to over compensate for Newhouse lack of talent.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago

or Josh Sitton suffers because he's trying to over compensate for Newhouse lack of talent.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't trust Newhouse at all on the left side. I really hope some one else comes through given our new circumstance.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (8h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (11h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.