Zero2Cool
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — The first report had the Green Bay Packers hoping for the best and fearing the worst with lef ttackle Bryan Bulaga. The second report delivered the worst.

According to ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Bulaga suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee  during Saturday night's Family Night Scrimmage and is done for the year.

Asked via text message if Bulaga had indeed torn his ACL, a club source replied, "Looks like it." Another source said Bulaga was seeking a second opinion but that the news was unlikely to change.

Bulaga's move to left tackle was the centerpiece of the team's overhaul of its offensive line during the offseason.

The story began with a report from Bob McGinn of theMilwaukee Journal Sentinel saying Bulaga suffered a knee injury during the annual scrimmage. Bulaga played the entire time that the No. 1 offensive line was on the field and was seen walking after practice, but he apparently went to the medical staff afterward to report some discomfort.

Just two days earlier, offensive line coach James Campen stood in the hallway outside the Packers locker room and pronounced that the reconfigured line — with Bulaga at left tackle, Josh Sitton at left guard, T.J. Lang at right guard and Marshall Newhouse at right tackle had actually surpassed his expectations in the first week of training camp.

"You know, I think that quite frankly it's exceeded what I thought it would be at," said Campen, who informed the players of coach Mike McCarthy's decision before individual position work sessions in May and had the group first working together as a unit at organized team activity practices. "I think they've done a very good job with their footwork. They took advantage of the OTA periods to get adjusted to it. I think they're over that hump. It's just a few little things, new footwork they've got to work on, but I think they've adjusted very well."

Bulaga suffered a season-ending hip injury last Nov. 4 against the Arizona Cardinals but was full-go throughout the offseason.

The Packers' options are limited at this point if Bulaga's injury is indeed severe. They can put Newhouse back at left tackle — he worked there with the No. 2 offense during the scrimmage — or they could fast-track rookie fourth-round pick David Bakhtiari, who started the past two years at left tackle at Colorado and has put himself in the thick of the right tackle competition with a strong week of work since the pads came on.

Asked about playing left tackle during the scrimmage, Newhouse gave no indication that it was anything other than extra work.

"It's good that I've gotten a lot of work in OTAs and stuff at right, and now these left tackle reps are really good refresher, muscle-memory type stuff to get my explosiveness, keep it where I know it's been at," Newhouse said. "Even with all the gains I've made in the offseason, to transfer that over to the left side, from this time last season, I'm in a different place as a player and I've progressed."

The Packers still don't have 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod at their disposal, as he remains on the active/physically unable to perform list, yet to be cleared from the broken leg he suffered in December 2011.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
How many first round draft picks do we need to spend at this position?

Time to move Datko back to T, where he belongs. Maybe he'll look halfway decent there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

How many first round draft picks do we need to spend at this position?

Time to move Datko back to T, where he belongs. Maybe he'll look halfway decent there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think he was playing T during the scrimmage, and didn't look too great.
porky88
10 years ago
And so it begins. The Packers seemingly are among the league's most injury-prone teams. I'm sure this won't be the last significant injury, but it's still a punch to the gut, nonetheless. I guess this guarantees that David Bakhtiari and Marshall Newhouse will open the season starting. It’s just a matter of which one is on the left side and which one is on the right side.
nerdmann
10 years ago

And so it begins. The Packers seemingly are among the league's most injury-prone teams. I'm sure this won't be the last significant injury, but it's still a punch to the gut, nonetheless. I guess this guarantees that David Bakhtiari and Marshall Newhouse will open the season starting. It’s just a matter of which one is on the left side and which one is on the right side.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Third and fourth string guys, starting out the season.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
all_about_da_packers
10 years ago

Third and fourth string guys, starting out the season.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I have to disagree with Porky and you. Ted just invested a hell of a lot of money in Rodgers, and I have to think he'll at least do something to bring in someone to solidify the position. If that body is even halfway decent, you have to think Newhouse is not starting at LT week 1.

Personally, I'd go for gold - that is, try to get Joe Thomas. You've just given Rodgers an extension and he remaining healthy is the one thing that gives you a sure chance to be a Superbowl contender. You've invested an insane amount of $$$ into your best player. I would have no issue with further investing a couple of high draft picks (including a first rounder) to make sure Rodgers' ass is protected. Hell, make the high picks in consecutive years so it doesn't sting as much. Throw in a RB (Starks or Green) if it makes the deal even a little sweeter.

Perhaps Thomas is wishful thinking, but I have to think Ted is going to be exploring and making some move. No way he's frugal or stupid enough to risk the health of his most valuable and expensive player on a below-average ex-LT and a 4th-round rookie who weighs less than 300 pounds.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
steveishere
10 years ago

I have to disagree with Porky and you. Ted just invested a hell of a lot of money in Rodgers, and I have to think he'll at least do something to bring in someone to solidify the position. If that body is even halfway decent, you have to think Newhouse is not starting at LT week 1.

Personally, I'd go for gold - that is, try to get Joe Thomas. You've just given Rodgers an extension and he remaining healthy is the one thing that gives you a sure chance to be a Superbowl contender. You've invested an insane amount of $$$ into your best player. I would have no issue with further investing a couple of high draft picks (including a first rounder) to make sure Rodgers' ass is protected. Hell, make the high picks in consecutive years so it doesn't sting as much. Throw in a RB (Starks or Green) if it makes the deal even a little sweeter.

Perhaps Thomas is wishful thinking, but I have to think Ted is going to be exploring and making some move. No way he's frugal or stupid enough to risk the health of his most valuable and expensive player on a below-average ex-LT and a 4th-round rookie who weighs less than 300 pounds.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

That's just not realistic. No team is going to deal a franchise quality LT right before the season starts (not to mention how awful of an idea it is to give up multiple 1st round picks) and there are no FA LT as good as Newhouse out there. It's not being frugal or stupid to go with the guys that are here it's just the way it has to be done.
echizen20
10 years ago
What I think will probably happen is Newhouse will go back to left tackle and bahk will take over the right tackle. We can only hope that Newhouse will improve and Bahk can perform at least decently. Otherwise I think this will greatly impact the playcalling on offense and we will definitely run the ball a lot more. I'd be surprised if Ted was able to trade for a good LT before the season starts and I definitely wouldn't be against it. We gotta protect Rodgers at all cost.
blank
nerdmann
10 years ago

I think he was playing T during the scrimmage, and didn't look too great.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yes but they've had him at G all week.

Let him play where he belongs and see what he can do. Otherwise Ted pulls a Ryan Grant type trade out of his ass.
yooperfan
10 years ago
Like Porky said, this is a punch to the gut.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.