zombieslayer
15 years ago

I would tend to agree with everything you wrote here cept for the last sentence.

That bad o-l in 05 he coudlnt cover up..

Interesting thought just came to mind..

Since Brett couldnt really scramble like Aaron Rodgers can, wouldnt some of Aaron Rodgers plays balance out Brett Favre quick release?

Say 20 pass attempts a game where the quick release/scramble is needed..

does that mean Brett Favre way will work 80% of the time and Aaron Rodgers way only 50%?

So out of 20 plays Brett Favre could get us help 16 out of 20 times and Aaron Rodgers is 10-20 times

does that make any sense?

Cuz it doesnt to me LOL

"longtimefan" wrote:

Longtime - I'm not sure how old you are, but assuming you're old enough to remember Dan Marino. Now, my Grandma runs faster than Dan Marino. But Marino rarely got sacked because his release was so fast and he knew exactly when the pocket would collapse.

BF also has those abilities, but he's also hard to bring down. We all saw him last year just flick his hips and the DE goes flying off, then BF completes the pass.

So that's what I'm saying about bad OL. '05 wasn't necessarily just the OL being bad, it's we literally had to grab RBs and TEs from the street. Plus, by the end of the season, Antonio Chatman was our starting WR. It was horrible. Horrible, much, much, much worse than the injuries we have today. The injury bug we have today isn't even a footnote compared to what we had in '05.

The scrambling of Aaron Rodgers vs the quick release of BF - apples and oranges. Aaron Rodgers runs for the first down, BF breaks a tackle and hits Donald Lee for the first down. Which one is better? Apples and oranges.

The percentages are anyone's guess, but I think BF had a better 3rd down percentage of getting the ball to a receiver than Aaron Rodgers did of getting the ball to a receiver or running for a 1st down. And it's the lack of 1st downs that's killing us. We can't keep our O on the field long enough to rest our D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
15 years ago
All this comes down to in reality is this: There's NO way to prove if we would be 5-0, 4-1, 3-2, 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5 if Favre was still here.
It's ALL speculation. If he had been here, maybe he would have got a broken leg on a sack. Maybe he would have thrown for 10 TD's and no INT's.
Who knows?
And what it all boils down to is: It doesn't matter, cause reality is he's the QB of the Jets now.
You can argue back and forth on "What if's" till your blue in the face and in the end it won't matter one one thousanth of one percent.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Cheesey - But arguing until you're blue in the face is fun. Then when you get home, you're too tired to argue with your wife.

Works out best for everyone. :lol:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Roddyboy
15 years ago

Whether you like it or not, Brett Favre would help fix the morale issues that this team has. That could translate to a win or two.

This team has serious morale issues. It's playing without any heart right now, without any direction. It's sad to see. We're better than this, and we all know it.

Brett Favre gets people motivated. He gets everyone around him to play better than they normally would. That's something you can't teach. They either have it or they don't.

I read an article a few days ago about how the Packers seemed to have lost their mojo. Well, Brett Favre has mojo. Look what he's done to the Jets, who we all know is a really bad team. If he can get that team to 8-8 or even 9-7, imagine what he could do for this team.

I wouldn't go as far as predicting our record with Brett Favre ; but I do know that this would be a better team and we'd have a better shot at close games. Brett Favre is also the master at covering up a bad OL.

"longtimefan" wrote:

I would tend to agree with everything you wrote here cept for the last sentence.

That bad o-l in 05 he coudlnt cover up..

LOL

"zombieslayer" wrote:

He covered up for the bad O-L in '05 longtime. He just couldn't cover up for the bad receivers....running game, and defense.

He can cover up for one or the other, but not both, I guess...or all 3...or 4...whatever the case may be!
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Roddy - Well said.

He did cover up for the bad OL very well. What he couldn't do was be the RB, the WRs, and the TEs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think by the end of the season, our #1, #2, and #3 RB were all out and we picked up Samkon Gado from who knows where. Our #1, #2, and #3 TEs were out and I don't even remember who we had in there. Our #1, and #3 WRs were out for the season. We did have Donald Driver, but then a bunch of other people who were running routes like a bunch of crack smokers running to find their crack fix.

It was such an ugly season that putting the blame on BF is just downright stupid. Didn't we dump both of our starting OGs that season too, or was that in '06? I don't remember. I try to block '05 from memory.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Brett will always be Brett.. and that is a great QB.. but..

UserPostedImage

I enjoyed watching him in the Green & Gold.. and still regardless of team..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Have you noticed his yellow undershirt/pads still gives the Green and Gold effect?
Nemo me impune lacessit
longtimefan
15 years ago

Roddy - Well said.

He did cover up for the bad OL very well. What he couldn't do was be the RB, the WRs, and the TEs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think by the end of the season, our #1, #2, and #3 RB were all out and we picked up Samkon Gado from who knows where. Our #1, #2, and #3 TEs were out and I don't even remember who we had in there. Our #1, and #3 WRs were out for the season. We did have Donald Driver, but then a bunch of other people who were running routes like a bunch of crack smokers running to find their crack fix.

It was such an ugly season that putting the blame on Brett Favre is just downright stupid. Didn't we dump both of our starting OGs that season too, or was that in '06? I don't remember. I try to block '05 from memory.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

yes the guards were gone

and for the record i am just a tad younger then danny boy...So I know all to well how quick he was, but at same time he had some good line man..

I am not saying Brett is to blame for 05? just saying he had troubles with a bad o-l

and yes I know he had other issues..

But trouble as in the o-l was bad...... not that he was the root cause of it
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Longtime - Oh, not at all implying you. I'm just saying in general.

I was just using as an example how BF can still play without an OL. It was more he had no one to throw to and no one to run the ball why he had such a bad season in '05. Imagine having no running backs, only one WR, and no TEs. You think anyone would be able to complete anything?

Take away Peyton Manning's OL and you see that he sucks. Aaron Rodgers is way better than Peyton Manning with a bad OL, and all I ever heard was how great of a QB Peyton Manning was. BF has played with the whole spectrum of OLs from the very good to the very bad. Even in his MVP years, that wasn't a top tier OL he was behind. I think the best OL he had was under Sherman.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

Longtime - Oh, not at all implying you. I'm just saying in general.

I was just using as an example how Brett Favre can still play without an OL. It was more he had no one to throw to and no one to run the ball why he had such a bad season in '05. Imagine having no running backs, only one WR, and no TEs. You think anyone would be able to complete anything?

Take away Peyton Manning's OL and you see that he sucks. Aaron Rodgers is way better than Peyton Manning with a bad OL, and all I ever heard was how great of a QB Peyton Manning was. Brett Favre has played with the whole spectrum of OLs from the very good to the very bad. Even in his MVP years, that wasn't a top tier OL he was behind. I think the best OL he had was under Sherman.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Favre's numbers in '05 also tanked because at the end of games we were trailing he just started chucking it up hoping for a miracle. The mindset of we're going to lose anyway so who cares if it's by 10 or by 30? Maybe we get lucky. And I agree, Sherman put together great OLs, but his background was as an OL coach at A&M. The OL we had under Holmgren wasn't too shabby either.

I disagree about Manning sucking though. I watched that Minny game this year, and playing on a bad knee behind a non-existent OL made just enough pinpoint passes to Harrison and Wayne to steal that game. Manning is right up there with Favre and Marino in that he's experienced enough to make quick reads and get the ball out before a leaky line allows him to get hit.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (49m) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (49m) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (3h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (3h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (4h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (16h) : damn those vikings
beast (16h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (16h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (16h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (16h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (23h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.