zombieslayer
15 years ago

I would tend to agree with everything you wrote here cept for the last sentence.

That bad o-l in 05 he coudlnt cover up..

Interesting thought just came to mind..

Since Brett couldnt really scramble like Aaron Rodgers can, wouldnt some of Aaron Rodgers plays balance out Brett Favre quick release?

Say 20 pass attempts a game where the quick release/scramble is needed..

does that mean Brett Favre way will work 80% of the time and Aaron Rodgers way only 50%?

So out of 20 plays Brett Favre could get us help 16 out of 20 times and Aaron Rodgers is 10-20 times

does that make any sense?

Cuz it doesnt to me LOL

"longtimefan" wrote:

Longtime - I'm not sure how old you are, but assuming you're old enough to remember Dan Marino. Now, my Grandma runs faster than Dan Marino. But Marino rarely got sacked because his release was so fast and he knew exactly when the pocket would collapse.

BF also has those abilities, but he's also hard to bring down. We all saw him last year just flick his hips and the DE goes flying off, then BF completes the pass.

So that's what I'm saying about bad OL. '05 wasn't necessarily just the OL being bad, it's we literally had to grab RBs and TEs from the street. Plus, by the end of the season, Antonio Chatman was our starting WR. It was horrible. Horrible, much, much, much worse than the injuries we have today. The injury bug we have today isn't even a footnote compared to what we had in '05.

The scrambling of Aaron Rodgers vs the quick release of BF - apples and oranges. Aaron Rodgers runs for the first down, BF breaks a tackle and hits Donald Lee for the first down. Which one is better? Apples and oranges.

The percentages are anyone's guess, but I think BF had a better 3rd down percentage of getting the ball to a receiver than Aaron Rodgers did of getting the ball to a receiver or running for a 1st down. And it's the lack of 1st downs that's killing us. We can't keep our O on the field long enough to rest our D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
15 years ago
All this comes down to in reality is this: There's NO way to prove if we would be 5-0, 4-1, 3-2, 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5 if Favre was still here.
It's ALL speculation. If he had been here, maybe he would have got a broken leg on a sack. Maybe he would have thrown for 10 TD's and no INT's.
Who knows?
And what it all boils down to is: It doesn't matter, cause reality is he's the QB of the Jets now.
You can argue back and forth on "What if's" till your blue in the face and in the end it won't matter one one thousanth of one percent.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Cheesey - But arguing until you're blue in the face is fun. Then when you get home, you're too tired to argue with your wife.

Works out best for everyone. :lol:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Roddyboy
15 years ago

Whether you like it or not, Brett Favre would help fix the morale issues that this team has. That could translate to a win or two.

This team has serious morale issues. It's playing without any heart right now, without any direction. It's sad to see. We're better than this, and we all know it.

Brett Favre gets people motivated. He gets everyone around him to play better than they normally would. That's something you can't teach. They either have it or they don't.

I read an article a few days ago about how the Packers seemed to have lost their mojo. Well, Brett Favre has mojo. Look what he's done to the Jets, who we all know is a really bad team. If he can get that team to 8-8 or even 9-7, imagine what he could do for this team.

I wouldn't go as far as predicting our record with Brett Favre ; but I do know that this would be a better team and we'd have a better shot at close games. Brett Favre is also the master at covering up a bad OL.

"longtimefan" wrote:

I would tend to agree with everything you wrote here cept for the last sentence.

That bad o-l in 05 he coudlnt cover up..

LOL

"zombieslayer" wrote:

He covered up for the bad O-L in '05 longtime. He just couldn't cover up for the bad receivers....running game, and defense.

He can cover up for one or the other, but not both, I guess...or all 3...or 4...whatever the case may be!
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Roddy - Well said.

He did cover up for the bad OL very well. What he couldn't do was be the RB, the WRs, and the TEs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think by the end of the season, our #1, #2, and #3 RB were all out and we picked up Samkon Gado from who knows where. Our #1, #2, and #3 TEs were out and I don't even remember who we had in there. Our #1, and #3 WRs were out for the season. We did have Donald Driver, but then a bunch of other people who were running routes like a bunch of crack smokers running to find their crack fix.

It was such an ugly season that putting the blame on BF is just downright stupid. Didn't we dump both of our starting OGs that season too, or was that in '06? I don't remember. I try to block '05 from memory.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Brett will always be Brett.. and that is a great QB.. but..

UserPostedImage

I enjoyed watching him in the Green & Gold.. and still regardless of team..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Have you noticed his yellow undershirt/pads still gives the Green and Gold effect?
Nemo me impune lacessit
longtimefan
15 years ago

Roddy - Well said.

He did cover up for the bad OL very well. What he couldn't do was be the RB, the WRs, and the TEs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think by the end of the season, our #1, #2, and #3 RB were all out and we picked up Samkon Gado from who knows where. Our #1, #2, and #3 TEs were out and I don't even remember who we had in there. Our #1, and #3 WRs were out for the season. We did have Donald Driver, but then a bunch of other people who were running routes like a bunch of crack smokers running to find their crack fix.

It was such an ugly season that putting the blame on Brett Favre is just downright stupid. Didn't we dump both of our starting OGs that season too, or was that in '06? I don't remember. I try to block '05 from memory.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

yes the guards were gone

and for the record i am just a tad younger then danny boy...So I know all to well how quick he was, but at same time he had some good line man..

I am not saying Brett is to blame for 05? just saying he had troubles with a bad o-l

and yes I know he had other issues..

But trouble as in the o-l was bad...... not that he was the root cause of it
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Longtime - Oh, not at all implying you. I'm just saying in general.

I was just using as an example how BF can still play without an OL. It was more he had no one to throw to and no one to run the ball why he had such a bad season in '05. Imagine having no running backs, only one WR, and no TEs. You think anyone would be able to complete anything?

Take away Peyton Manning's OL and you see that he sucks. Aaron Rodgers is way better than Peyton Manning with a bad OL, and all I ever heard was how great of a QB Peyton Manning was. BF has played with the whole spectrum of OLs from the very good to the very bad. Even in his MVP years, that wasn't a top tier OL he was behind. I think the best OL he had was under Sherman.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

Longtime - Oh, not at all implying you. I'm just saying in general.

I was just using as an example how Brett Favre can still play without an OL. It was more he had no one to throw to and no one to run the ball why he had such a bad season in '05. Imagine having no running backs, only one WR, and no TEs. You think anyone would be able to complete anything?

Take away Peyton Manning's OL and you see that he sucks. Aaron Rodgers is way better than Peyton Manning with a bad OL, and all I ever heard was how great of a QB Peyton Manning was. Brett Favre has played with the whole spectrum of OLs from the very good to the very bad. Even in his MVP years, that wasn't a top tier OL he was behind. I think the best OL he had was under Sherman.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Favre's numbers in '05 also tanked because at the end of games we were trailing he just started chucking it up hoping for a miracle. The mindset of we're going to lose anyway so who cares if it's by 10 or by 30? Maybe we get lucky. And I agree, Sherman put together great OLs, but his background was as an OL coach at A&M. The OL we had under Holmgren wasn't too shabby either.

I disagree about Manning sucking though. I watched that Minny game this year, and playing on a bad knee behind a non-existent OL made just enough pinpoint passes to Harrison and Wayne to steal that game. Manning is right up there with Favre and Marino in that he's experienced enough to make quick reads and get the ball out before a leaky line allows him to get hit.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (15h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (18h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.