Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Wouldn't it be cool if we could say this about even part of our defense?

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Wade-we can say that about our entire defense--our fundamentals are ridiculous... [palm]

How true.

(though I think Rock meant "ridiculous good" re: SF's)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
11 years ago

I find the situation on defense a whole lot more concerning than fixing the running attack.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Balanced and time consuming drives and establishing an attitude, especially late in games helps the defense. Running the ball helps the offense. Being able to run will help the consistency of a defense.

I would argue relevance.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I find the situation on defense a whole lot more concerning than fixing the running attack.

What does fixing it mean anyway? Benson's a battering ram. In the last five years he's gone over the 4.0 ypc mark just once. And that included four years of running behind, what looked like to me, a very underrated Bengals o-line. That works when you keep running him up the gut and tiring defenses out... Something I certainly don't want to see from this Packers team.

If I got McCarthy figured out a bit, he just wants someone who can keep the defense honest a bit. Someone who doesn't get negative yards and keeps the threat of the run alive... Even if it's at a 3.8 yards per carry as Benson has managed to get over his career. I don't think the running game will be "fixed" at any point this year. We'll just roll with what we got right now.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I understand the "just enough to keep them honest" approach. I do. Really, I do. (It's not my favorite, but given the pass-friendly era we're in, we're not going to ever get my favorite.)

But as Macbob pointed out earlier in the thread, how many of GB's "running" plays are called with the shotgun formation. ISTM that even "just enough to keep them honest" needs more running plays with the QB under center than McCarthy is wont to call.

I don't want running up the gut every play. But I do want more up-the-gut plays that aren't called via the shotgun.

And I want a run game good enough that it destroys the other team's ability to come back in the 4th quarter.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
11 years ago
A follow up with how running helps the defense. Used Pts Per Game vs Pass Mix % in play calling; divided into 3 parts (top 3rd (11 teams).. middle (11 Teams) and bottom third) from last season.

Top 3rd in Scoring defense.

Pass ratio of 53.06%
Carries per Game 28.61
Pts Allowed per Game Range (14.2 - 20.6)
Points Scored Avg - 20.69
Winning % 53.98

Further.. only two of these teams had a ratio of more than 55%
4 Teams Here under .500

Middle Third

Pass Ratio of 56.82%
Carries Per Game 26.91
Pts Allowed Per Game Range (21.1 - 23.6)
Points Scored Avg - 24.67
Winning % 58.52

7 Of this group had ratios of greater than 55%
1 Team here Under .500

Btm Third

Pass Ratio of 56.64%
Carries Per Game 26.25
Pts Allowed Per Game Range (24.2 - 30.9)
Points Scored Avg 21.09
Winning % 36.25

7 of this Group Had Ratios of Greater than 55%
5 Teams here under .500

Packers

Packers ranked 19th in Points Allowed (Middle Tier)
Pass Ratio of 58.29%
Carries per Game 24.69

Points Scored 35 Per Game

I was expecting a more balanced winning percentage for those with better defenses, but I think it illustrates the better defensive teams run more often than those below it. Passing more increased points scored.

Other than that.. the stats prove inconclusive. Even that defense wins at a better clip last season with the rule book preference leaning more towards the passing game.

SuperBowl Winning Giants (Both Tier) vs Pats in the middle tier.

Another shocker for me...

Teams with a Greater than 55% pass ratio winning percentage : 50.66%
Teams with a Less than 55% pass ratio winning percentage : 49.04%

More than likely all meaningless.. but I find interest in it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
pack_in_black
11 years ago
Anyone mention Alex Green yet? From what little I've seen, I love his speed and huge-gain, big-play potential that brings. I'd like to see them feed the kid for a game, let him hit a rythm and see what he can do..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Anyone mention Alex Green yet? From what little I've seen, I love his speed and huge-gain, big-play potential that brings. I'd like to see them feed the kid for a game, let him hit a rythm and see what he can do..

Originally Posted by: pack_in_black 

Will Alex Green even be suited up? Was he suited up last week?

Not being sarcastic. I'm asking if anyone knows this. I too would love to see what Alex Green has to offer us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
play2win
11 years ago

Will Alex Green even be suited up? Was he suited up last week?

Not being sarcastic. I'm asking if anyone knows this. I too would love to see what Alex Green has to offer us.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Yeah, Green ran a couple for little yds and a cloud of dust... I think... trying to forget that one entirely.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I'm hoping the solution is playing the Bears.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
yooperfan
11 years ago
It was nice to hear that the Pack put some serious effort into running the damn ball.
I'm guessing they had close to 100 rushing yards.
nerdmann
11 years ago

It was nice to hear that the Pack put some serious effort into running the damn ball.
I'm guessing they had close to 100 rushing yards.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I think Benson had 81 yards on 20 carries.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (13h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (13h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (13h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (14h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (16h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (20h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (20h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM