Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Who do you feel is the greatest Green Bay Packers player of all time?

I think the answer is Don Hutson . I never seen him play, but things I've read about him, the stats and all of that. I think he was generations ahead of his time.

I'm not taking anything away from Brett Favre or Bart Starr, but neither of them took their position by storm like Hutson did.

A case that goes against Brett Favre
"after the departure of coach Mike Holmgren following the 1998 season, Favre averaged 25 touchdowns and 19 interceptions over his final nine seasons in Green Bay. He produced a season passer rating above 92 only three times during that stretch."

Wow, 25 TD's and 19 INT's sounds a lot worse than it really was, right?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
Starr/Hutson in either order. Then Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor. Maybe Johnny Blood. Favre is down the list a ways.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago
I would put Favre behind Arnie Herber. Starr and Rodgers are pretty close. Bart on his post season rating and Rodgers on his most dominating season ever.

But I don't think anybody was ever an impact in the NFL like Don Hutson. One year, he put up as many catches and TDs as the next 3 receivers combined.

He won the triple crown, leading in yards, reception and TDs in 5 seasons. Only 6 receivers have done it. All have done it once.

The only WR to be named League MVP. He did it twice.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
DakotaT
11 years ago
A decade from now it will be Aaron Rodgers, and it won't even be close.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

after he finishes paying his dues:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
Has to be Hutson at this time with Starr a very close 2nd. Hoping like crazy it becomes Aaron Rodgers.
nerdmann
11 years ago

Has to be Hutson at this time with Starr a very close 2nd. Hoping like crazy it becomes Aaron Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

4 more championships to go.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Starr will likely always be my favorite Packer.

But it has to be Hutson.

Rodgers will surpass him only if, by the time he is done, he has redefined his position. He has that possibility, I think, but I also think it unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers owns almost all of the NFL records by the time he ends (other than Favre's longevity ones), and he has a shot at Starr's 5 championships, but Hutson defined his position for all time. Records can be broken, just like Rice broke Hutson's eventually and various people broke Jim Brown's. But, IMO, Hutson and Brown defined their position.

This is also why to my mind Barry Sanders was head and shoulders more than Emmitt Smith -- Smith got more yards, but Sanders redefined the position. (Not quite enough to supplant Brown for me -- sorry, Kevin -- but he came closer than anyone else.)

Favre was great, Hall of Fame shoe in. Silver medal. Starr was greater, Hall of Famer and multi-champion. Gold medal.

Hutson? The Hope Diamond.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
porky88
11 years ago
It’s hard to compare eras. People refuse to acknowledge the elephant in the room when they do it. Warren Moon, who is in the Hall of Fame, would not have played in the NFL in the 30s because of his skin color. The level of play was not as dominating then as it is now. It’s why the modern era is the dominate era of pro football.

However, there are exceptions. Don Hutson is obviously one. Many regard him as the first modern era receiver in history. His speed was comparable with current NFL receivers. His hands were amazing. His size wasn’t bad. He’s the Jim Brown of receivers. In other words, the one receiver people must acknowledge regardless of the era he played in.

With that in mind, I find the Favre vs. Starr debate fascinating. Perhaps Starr was a better leader of men. Personally, I think that’s his only case, because if we takeaway our emotions stemming from the last few years, Favre is simply one of the greatest players to ever play the quarterback position. His combination of athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, size, and much more is truly off the charts. There is a reason why NFL scouts are looking for the next Brett Favre and not Bart Starr or Terry Bradshaw. Ironically, Packer fans used to overrate Favre, in my opinion. Now they underrated him.

For what it‘s worth, my pick would be Hutson with Favre a close No. 2.

Zero2Cool
11 years ago
No one is looking for the next Brett Favre. Teams want the next taller Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc...good leaders (which Favre was) with good fundamentals (which Favre lacked) at the quarterback position and of course an arm that can make any throw on the field, which of course Favre more than just "had". This isn't a knock on Brett, but he was very unorthodox in his footwork and didn't have great decision making. You teach kids how to throw by watching Brady, Manning, Rodgers....not Favre. lol

I think Brett was the best quarterback the Packers have ever had. Bart Starr had a lot more talent around him than Favre.

Aaron Rodgers could change my thinking if he continues like the last two seasons.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (7h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (12h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (12h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.