Yerko
12 years ago

I would like to believe that the NFL structure around Jerel will bring out his best. He will get in better condition and be able to not have to take as many gassers on the field. Motivation can bring a lot out in a kid. Trgovac combined with Raji and Pickett there to mentor Worthy could make for good stuff.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

I think he will have the motivation to play because of the coaching staff but the one thing that really stood out to me was his reasoning for declaring for the NFL Draft. He cut out of college and college ball a year early to support his family because his father had a stroke in 2010. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what else could be. I give this kid major props for doing something like this. He seems like a great person.

The other thing is the passion he has for the game. Small example would be the tattoo he had done last year of a Spartan stepping on the neck of a dead Wolverine (its a pretty sick tat).

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
actually when they went to 2 DL it didn't really matter.
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
12 years ago

Worthy will not make many plays down the line of scrimmage, and something will go very wrong if he is chasing a ball carrier down from behind.
His low career sack total (12 in three seasons as a starter) reflects his inability to close on quarterbacks.
Worthy's lackluster workout results underline just how enigmatic he is as a prospect.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

sniff, sob, whimper. [aiee]
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

A look at former Michigan State defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, whom the Green Bay Packers selected No. 51 overall Friday with the first of their two second-round picks in the NFL draft.

Position: Defensive end.

School: Michigan State.

Height, weight: 6-foot-2, 308 pounds.

Highlights: First Michigan State defensive tackle to be recognized as a first-team All-American since Ronald Curl in 1971. Worthy declared for the NFL draft in January after his redshirt junior season. Ran the 40-yard dash in 5.08 seconds and posted a 28½-inch vertical jump. Did not lift at the combine because of a pectoral strain. … Played primarily defensive tackle at Michigan State, showed the ability to get penetration up the middle. Redshirted his freshman year in 2008. Was named Scout Team Defensive Player of the Week against Eastern Michigan while redshirting. Earned freshman All-American honors in 2009 after racking up 37 tackles, 4½ sacks and nine tackles for a loss. … Was presented with Michigan State’s Outstanding Underclass Lineman Award in 2010, as part of a unit that led the Big Ten and ended up sixth in the NCAA in total defense. . Led Michigan State with four sacks and also recorded 40 tackles as a sophomore. Tallied 30 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for a loss in addition to blocking two kicks in 2011. Anchored a Spartans defense that finished first in the Big Ten in run defense and total defense as a junior. Started 38 of 40 games at defensive tackle and ranked 14th on the school-career record list with 12 sacks.

Strengths: Excellent size and natural girth. Is quick off the snap and very effective penetrating the backfield when he is slanting and stunting. Surprising initial quickness. Can be disruptive when he keeps his pads low and shoots gaps. Has enough size, mass and power to bull his way into the backfield and two-gap. Solid tackler.

Weaknesses: Average processing speed — can be late to find the ball (and looked like he was thinking too much as he tripped over a bag in combine drills). Too often coasted and took plays off — motor idles. Does not play with fire — mild playing temperament. Has underachiever tendencies — production did not meet talent. Struggles handling double-teams. Tired too easily and tended to wear down in games.

Noteworthy: Attended Chaminade-Julienne High School in Dayton, Ohio as a freshman and sophomore before transferring to Wayne High School. Rated as the 53rd-best defensive tackle coming out of high school by Rivals.com. Named Associated Press Division 1 All-Ohio and Southwest All-District first team as a senior in high school. Majored in Human Development and Family Studies, with a minor in family community services at Michigan State.

— Quinn Cretton, qcretton@greenbaypressgazette.com

— Strengths and weaknesses according to Pro Football Weekly
Quotable

“They want me to be a complete football player. If I’m on the field for three downs, that’s what they want me to do. I just want to be able to come in and make an impact any way I can, whatever it is. Special teams or defense right away, anything I can do to impress the coaches and get myself on the field. “

— Jerel Worthy, Packers second-round pick

“He’s quick for a big guy. He’s got really good agility and excellent instincts. He’s one of the better players I have seen in a couple of years finding the ball really fast. I think he’ll add some juice to our front. He can get off blocks and do some of the things we ask him to do. He anticipates the snap count real well. He’ll be competing for all of the positions.”

— Mike Trgovac, Packers defensive line coach

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/packers-jerel-worthy-at-a-glance/article_cc75ac82-90e8-11e1-bf30-001a4bcf887a.html?sourcetrack=moreArticle#ixzz1tLE1siil 

UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

lol on these quotes you make up, VR!
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Another happy pick. Ted Thompson did about as good as we could hope for with our 1 & 2. Worthy has the talent, now it's up to the coaches to keep the fire lit. The main reason this pick excites me is that Ted Thompson thought enough of him to trade up and took him over Still. It's interesting that "explosive" was a common word often used to describe our first two picks. The thing we have to remember is thses guys are going to be rookies and where they were drafted, history says they won't have a big impact. On the other hand, they should be an immidiate upgrade for us.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
He'll wear jersey number 99.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
12 years ago
Amazed he lasted as long as he did and stoked we got him. Ted has done a masterful job addressing need and not selling the farm to do it. A Safety, Center and Guard would be nice today. A WR and developmental QB is also expected.
12 years ago
I like all three of our picks so far, but I'm finding myself rating this one the highest of the three. He could be a monster in an NFL program.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.