Yerko
12 years ago

I would like to believe that the NFL structure around Jerel will bring out his best. He will get in better condition and be able to not have to take as many gassers on the field. Motivation can bring a lot out in a kid. Trgovac combined with Raji and Pickett there to mentor Worthy could make for good stuff.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

I think he will have the motivation to play because of the coaching staff but the one thing that really stood out to me was his reasoning for declaring for the NFL Draft. He cut out of college and college ball a year early to support his family because his father had a stroke in 2010. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what else could be. I give this kid major props for doing something like this. He seems like a great person.

The other thing is the passion he has for the game. Small example would be the tattoo he had done last year of a Spartan stepping on the neck of a dead Wolverine (its a pretty sick tat).

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
actually when they went to 2 DL it didn't really matter.
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
12 years ago

Worthy will not make many plays down the line of scrimmage, and something will go very wrong if he is chasing a ball carrier down from behind.
His low career sack total (12 in three seasons as a starter) reflects his inability to close on quarterbacks.
Worthy's lackluster workout results underline just how enigmatic he is as a prospect.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

sniff, sob, whimper. [aiee]
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

A look at former Michigan State defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, whom the Green Bay Packers selected No. 51 overall Friday with the first of their two second-round picks in the NFL draft.

Position: Defensive end.

School: Michigan State.

Height, weight: 6-foot-2, 308 pounds.

Highlights: First Michigan State defensive tackle to be recognized as a first-team All-American since Ronald Curl in 1971. Worthy declared for the NFL draft in January after his redshirt junior season. Ran the 40-yard dash in 5.08 seconds and posted a 28½-inch vertical jump. Did not lift at the combine because of a pectoral strain. … Played primarily defensive tackle at Michigan State, showed the ability to get penetration up the middle. Redshirted his freshman year in 2008. Was named Scout Team Defensive Player of the Week against Eastern Michigan while redshirting. Earned freshman All-American honors in 2009 after racking up 37 tackles, 4½ sacks and nine tackles for a loss. … Was presented with Michigan State’s Outstanding Underclass Lineman Award in 2010, as part of a unit that led the Big Ten and ended up sixth in the NCAA in total defense. . Led Michigan State with four sacks and also recorded 40 tackles as a sophomore. Tallied 30 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for a loss in addition to blocking two kicks in 2011. Anchored a Spartans defense that finished first in the Big Ten in run defense and total defense as a junior. Started 38 of 40 games at defensive tackle and ranked 14th on the school-career record list with 12 sacks.

Strengths: Excellent size and natural girth. Is quick off the snap and very effective penetrating the backfield when he is slanting and stunting. Surprising initial quickness. Can be disruptive when he keeps his pads low and shoots gaps. Has enough size, mass and power to bull his way into the backfield and two-gap. Solid tackler.

Weaknesses: Average processing speed — can be late to find the ball (and looked like he was thinking too much as he tripped over a bag in combine drills). Too often coasted and took plays off — motor idles. Does not play with fire — mild playing temperament. Has underachiever tendencies — production did not meet talent. Struggles handling double-teams. Tired too easily and tended to wear down in games.

Noteworthy: Attended Chaminade-Julienne High School in Dayton, Ohio as a freshman and sophomore before transferring to Wayne High School. Rated as the 53rd-best defensive tackle coming out of high school by Rivals.com. Named Associated Press Division 1 All-Ohio and Southwest All-District first team as a senior in high school. Majored in Human Development and Family Studies, with a minor in family community services at Michigan State.

— Quinn Cretton, qcretton@greenbaypressgazette.com

— Strengths and weaknesses according to Pro Football Weekly
Quotable

“They want me to be a complete football player. If I’m on the field for three downs, that’s what they want me to do. I just want to be able to come in and make an impact any way I can, whatever it is. Special teams or defense right away, anything I can do to impress the coaches and get myself on the field. “

— Jerel Worthy, Packers second-round pick

“He’s quick for a big guy. He’s got really good agility and excellent instincts. He’s one of the better players I have seen in a couple of years finding the ball really fast. I think he’ll add some juice to our front. He can get off blocks and do some of the things we ask him to do. He anticipates the snap count real well. He’ll be competing for all of the positions.”

— Mike Trgovac, Packers defensive line coach

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/packers-jerel-worthy-at-a-glance/article_cc75ac82-90e8-11e1-bf30-001a4bcf887a.html?sourcetrack=moreArticle#ixzz1tLE1siil 

UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

lol on these quotes you make up, VR!
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Another happy pick. Ted Thompson did about as good as we could hope for with our 1 & 2. Worthy has the talent, now it's up to the coaches to keep the fire lit. The main reason this pick excites me is that Ted Thompson thought enough of him to trade up and took him over Still. It's interesting that "explosive" was a common word often used to describe our first two picks. The thing we have to remember is thses guys are going to be rookies and where they were drafted, history says they won't have a big impact. On the other hand, they should be an immidiate upgrade for us.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
He'll wear jersey number 99.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
12 years ago
Amazed he lasted as long as he did and stoked we got him. Ted has done a masterful job addressing need and not selling the farm to do it. A Safety, Center and Guard would be nice today. A WR and developmental QB is also expected.
12 years ago
I like all three of our picks so far, but I'm finding myself rating this one the highest of the three. He could be a monster in an NFL program.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (47m) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (49m) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (4h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.