DakotaT
12 years ago
The only offense that scares me the rest of the way is New Orleans, and I doubt those boys can duplicate what they did to the Giants in Lambeau in late January. The NE tight ends would give Hawk and Bishop fits, but I doubt we see them.

I don't know what everybody gets so jacked up about over giving up yards. Odds on the Packers in Vegas are horrific and if you added a mudstomp defense to the mix, there would be no money to be made.

I'm actually enthused by watching the young guys cut their teeth. Smith and Francois had great games last week. I just wish we had something better than thr red headed step child Bush at dime back. We definitely need to go corner in round 1 next year, unless of course there's a rush on QB's again and a quality Dlineman falls to us.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'm with DakotaT on the only offense that worries me is the Saints. Maybe the Patriots too.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
It's not so much yardage as time of possession that concerns me. Having a tired defense in the 4th quarter makes me uneasy.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
12 years ago

It's not so much yardage as time of possession that concerns me. Having a tired defense in the 4th quarter makes me uneasy.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Edit----
Packers are 6th in TOP with 28:31 Texans are #1 with 26:39

I read this today, has some good points people dont look at

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/sports-illustrated-article-on-the-porus-defense.32600/ 

Teams with high-scoring offenses typically don't rank in the upper echelon in total defense because they surrender a lot of yards late in games, while the other team is playing catch-up—the Packers give up roughly 20% more yards in the fourth quarter than they do in any other.

The Saints won the Super Bowl two years ago with the league's highest-scoring offense and its 25th-ranked defense. The Colts won the title in '06 after tying for second in scoring and ranking 21st in total D. And the Patriots claimed their first Vince Lombardi Trophy while ranking sixth in scoring and 24th in total defense.

A statistic more connected with postseason success—even more than points allowed—is scoring differential (points scored minus points given up). Fifteen of the past 21 Super Bowl champions have finished first or second in that category. The Pack was second in 2010 and is No. 1 this year with an average differential of 14.3 points a game.

zombieslayer
12 years ago

Edit----
Packers are 6th in TOP with 28:31 Texans are #1 with 26:39

I read this today, has some good points people dont look at

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/sports-illustrated-article-on-the-porus-defense.32600/ 

Originally Posted by: longtimefan 

I'll be damned.

I wonder where I heard that points differential before.

No worries RP. If you like stats, you'll love NSD's thread on what really matters - the difference in offensive passer rating vs defensive passer rating.

Right now, we are #1 in Points Differential and I wouldn't be surprised if we're also #1 in the difference between offensive passer rating and defensive passer rating. If we're #1 in both categories, the NFL shouldn't bother finishing the season. They should just hand us the Lombardi Trophy.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Dakota - Why won't we face the Pats? I'm saying right now that it will more than 50% chance be either the Pats or the Steelers that we face in the SB.

All - So the big question is, which teams can keep up with us offensively? We're 50+ pts on the Pats. The team that is close to us is the Saints. But then again, I've said this before - our toughest game will be the NFC CG, NOT the SB.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
12 years ago

Dakota - Why won't we face the Pats? I'm saying right now that it will more than 50% chance be either the Pats or the Steelers that we face in the SB.

I think we'll be playing the Ravens. Somehow, someway -"they'll" get Ray to another SB. I think the Steelers will be too beat up, and the Pats are way too light in the loafers. I keep saying they won't be relevant again until the win a playoff game - just like Dallas. It's been since the 18-0 super bowl beat down since the Pats won a playoff game, and that was 2007.
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
12 years ago

....the NFL shouldn't bother finishing the season. They should just hand us the Lombardi Trophy.

Hmmmmm..........As Ron Wolf would say, all they were was a “fart in the wind”:-k

Cheeseheads taking things for granted 
It was almost 15 years ago, the Packers were on top of the world, and Packer Nation was basking in the glory, confident their time at the top had only just begun.
With the three-time reigning MVP at quarterback, only just-turned 27, still early in his prime, this team had “dynasty” written all over it.......
....There was no dynasty. As Ron Wolf would say, all they were was a “fart in the wind”. A one-year wonder, certainly no dynasty.
But that whole 1997 season, it seemed like it was a surefire dynasty. Even though there were clear, tell-tale signs that the defense was slipping

Now, back to the today.

The Packers again are at the top of the world. Packer nation is basking in the glory. Once again, they are confident that this is only the beginning, and a dynasty is on the way. The leader, the QB, is only 27....
....The season to repeat has everyone locally and many nationally assuming that the Packers are going to make it back to the Super Bowl and repeat.
Although there are obvious holes, and a decline on defense, Rodgers and company will simply outscore everyone,...
...As with the 1997 team, there are some ominous warning sides on this team on the defensive side of the ball that are being covered up by the offense.....
....Remember, the 2010 Packers barely beat the Steelers despite getting three turnovers from Pittsburgh. Without those, it would have been a loss. This dependence on turnovers is a very dangerous and risky way to play. Sometimes, those turnovers won’t come and a defense will have to stiffen up, stop bending.

zombieslayer
12 years ago

Hmmmmm..........As Ron Wolf would say, all they were was a “fart in the wind”:-k

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

As I've said before, if the Packers go on to win the Super Bowl, we'll be the 2nd team in 3 years to win the Super Bowl with a high powered O and a mediocre D that relies on takeaways instead of stops.

🇲🇲 > Mike Holmgren. We should have beaten the Broncos but Holmgren lost his cool at half-time and instead of making adjustments, just yelled at the team. Needless to say, kind of killed the team's morale.

I have never forgiven Holmgren for that loss.

I had a great feeling about '96. I didn't have that feeling about '97. I had it last year. I have it this year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I'd agree with the sentiment that a tired 4th quarter defense is unsettling, but the fact is Green Bay hasn't been in those situations too often.

Brace yourself for a remarkable statistic (pulled from Seifert's NFC North blog --apologies if someone else mentioned it already):
Throughout the entirety of their 17 game streak dating back to week 16 last season, Green Bay has NEVER trailed in the 4th quarter. Not once.

I know it's bad if it's a one score game and the other team has the time of possession in their favor. That said, Green Bay has been so completely dominant in the third quarters this season that at the very least there isn't a tired 4th quarter defense playing with a deficit.

The third quarter dominance and above statistic merit their own thread, IMO. I couldn't believe that stat when I heard it. Obviously it speaks to the talented players Green Bay has, but also of the coaching staff.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

apologies if someone else mentioned it already

Originally Posted by: evad04 

With this victory, the Packers

[list]

• Win an impressive 3 games in 10 days
  • Equal their best regular-season record of the Rodgers era (11)
  • Set a team record for single-season winning streak (11)
  • Extend the team record for consecutive wins, including postseason (17)
  • Extend the league record for consecutive wins without trailing in the 4th quarter (17)
  • Cement their hold on the No. 1 seed for at least three more weeks, regardless of what happens with the rest of the league
  • Clinch a playoff berth with a Falcons loss and a Giants loss[/list]
  • "Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

😝

Actually, I've been tracking that statistic for quite a few weeks now.

But point taken. I understand that one of the reasons why the defense hasn't tightened things up is they haven't had to. They have never played from behind the 4th quarter since the Patriots game last year. I just wish they would give us some visual evidence that they can tighten it up, so that worrywarts like me can feel confident that if they do get into a close situation or have to play from behind -- say, in a closely contested game like the Super Bowl -- that they will be able to seal the deal. This winning streak, as amazing as it has been, will feel a little hollow if it gets snapped in the NFC Championship Game or the Super Bowl. I would feel so much more confident about their prospects in the postseason if they could give us a game or two in which they can consistently get off the field. The pages of history are replete with examples of teams who steamrolled offensively through the regular season, outscoring every team in sight despite their weak defenses, only to get ushered out of the playoffs because their defenses couldn't hold up when it really counted. I know zombieslayer likes to point out that if the Packers win it all this year, they will be the second team in three years to get it done with a dominating offense and weak defense, but I don't believe for a moment that is going to become the norm in the NFL. There are just too many teams who have tried that formula and failed. Occasional statistical outliers don't negate long-term trends.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (7h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.