nerdmann
12 years ago

We got guys who can get INTs. We're pretty rare.

Whereas NSD says that's not a good thing, that's a generalization. There are always exceptions to the rule and the '09 Saints and the '11 Packers are the exceptions. We CAN get the INTs so we can safely rely on them.

We got 22 in 11 games. Woodson has 6. Peprah and T Williams each have 4. Burnett has 3. Sam Shields has 2. A bunch of other guys have 1 each.

We also seem to get the sacks when we need to lately. One may look at CM3's numbers and think we've declined but the others have stepped up. Bishop has 5. Walden, Raji, and Wynn each have 3. Woodson's got 2. Yeah, not intimidating sack totals by any means but we keep getting close. QBs don't like being touched, especially Tom Brady whom I'm guessing there's about a 35% chance we face (the Texans aren't going to make it and the other team I think has 1/3rd shot in the AFC is the Steelers as they just win games).

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I don't like HAVING to rely on the INTs. But since that's the position we've been in, it's nice to be able to get them.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

We got guys who can get INTs. We're pretty rare.

Whereas NSD says that's not a good thing, that's a generalization.

Yet again you completely mischaracterize my position. I LOVE the fact our DBs can consistently get INTs. I HATE the fact that getting INTs is the only way our defense can consistently get off the field. If our defense showed the ability to consistently force three-and-outs, getting off the field and putting our offense back on the field, I would love the fact that they were getting so many INTs. It wouldn't even bother me if they ended drives with INTs more often than three-and-outs. But they can't do that, or at least, I haven't seen any evidence they can. They almost never get a stop on their side of the 50, and usually it's not until the red zone. They spend 6 to 8 minutes at a time on the field instead of putting the ball back in the hands of our offense.

Maybe Dexter_Sinister is right and they are deliberately choosing not to go for the three-and-outs. And maybe that has been the secret for their success in this regular season. I'm skeptical; I think if they could do it, they would. But I'll accept the premise for the sake of argument. It still seems to me that sooner or later, they will probably encounter a team that will so wear them out, they won't be able to get the three-and-out in the 4th quarter when they really need a stop, and it will cost them a game. All we have to do is think back to the debacle of 2009, when, for example, they gave up 500 yards and a last-second touchdown to Ben Roethlisberger. Had they been able to stop the Steelers on the other side of the 50, that never would have happened.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'm worried the Packers defense is giving up more points than the offense is scoring.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

That's funny, using D rankings according to this The Packers are going to lose their last 5 games.

I found this article on Packers.com to be very interesting,

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_ketchman/article-1/Capers-defense-put-a-whippin-on-Lions/8af03261-fc0c-4a85-bd02-c030f7142a17 

seems the game plan was to give the yardage but not the points.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Eh, yeah. That article might not be bullshit if every single game teams weren't scoring plenty of points. Which...the article seems to think they haven't been. *rolls eyes*

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

zombieslayer
12 years ago

Yet again you completely mischaracterize my position. I LOVE the fact our DBs can consistently get INTs. I HATE the fact that getting INTs is the only way our defense can consistently get off the field. If our defense showed the ability to consistently force three-and-outs, getting off the field and putting our offense back on the field, I would love the fact that they were getting so many INTs. It wouldn't even bother me if they ended drives with INTs more often than three-and-outs. But they can't do that, or at least, I haven't seen any evidence they can. They almost never get a stop on their side of the 50, and usually it's not until the red zone. They spend 6 to 8 minutes at a time on the field instead of putting the ball back in the hands of our offense.

Maybe Dexter_Sinister is right and they are deliberately choosing not to go for the three-and-outs. And maybe that has been the secret for their success in this regular season. I'm skeptical; I think if they could do it, they would. But I'll accept the premise for the sake of argument. It still seems to me that sooner or later, they will probably encounter a team that will so wear them out, they won't be able to get the three-and-out in the 4th quarter when they really need a stop, and it will cost them a game. All we have to do is think back to the debacle of 2009, when, for example, they gave up 500 yards and a last-second touchdown to Ben Roethlisberger. Had they been able to stop the Steelers on the other side of the 50, that never would have happened.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

That's ok. We never had to play the Steelers from behind last year.

And for the record, I'm accepting what Dexter said that we are deliberately sacrificing yards for the possibility of an INT. I agree with you that 3 and outs would be nicer in most cases, but in our case, we get so many INTs that that has become our game plan and it's been somewhat successful so far.

If we win the SB this year, it will be the 2nd time in 3 years when the winning SB team had a mediocre D that relied on takeaways for stops because they couldn't consistently get 3 and outs. Remember what I've preached about NFL trends.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
12 years ago

That's ok. We never had to play the Steelers from behind last year.

And for the record, I'm accepting what Dexter said that we are deliberately sacrificing yards for the possibility of an INT. I agree with you that 3 and outs would be nicer in most cases, but in our case, we get so many INTs that that has become our game plan and it's been somewhat successful so far.

If we win the SB this year, it will be the 2nd time in 3 years when the winning SB team had a mediocre D that relied on takeaways for stops because they couldn't consistently get 3 and outs. Remember what I've preached about NFL trends.

They definitely seem to be going for the strip rather than the sure tackle.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago

Eh, yeah. That article might not be bullshit if every single game teams weren't scoring plenty of points. Which...the article seems to think they haven't been. *rolls eyes*

Originally Posted by: TwinkieGorilla 

Roll your eyes all you want Twinkie, then go back AND REALLY READ the article, this was the game plan put into effect FOR THE LIONS GAME.

Dom was willing to give up yardage to keep The lions from hittin the home run with Megatron.
Which is exactly what the defense did.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

Roll your eyes all you want Twinkie, then go back AND REALLY READ the article, this was the game plan put into effect FOR THE LIONS GAME.

Dom was willing to give up yardage to keep The lions from hittin the home run with Megatron.

I think it is more situational than entire game plan.

When we had breakdowns and turnovers that put the team in a hole, the D stepped up and forced a lot of stops along with the turnovers.

When we got back into a comfortable lead we frequently gave up long fruitless drives than ended short of points.

The D can and does come up with stops when necessary. But it would rather burn clock when not.

I also read an interesting piece on profootballreference.com about how blowing out your opponent hurts your seeding at the end of the year if you are tied with another team. If is comes down to strength of opponent, having beaten a team by 31 points makes them a weaker opponent. Theoretically, larger margins of victory could lower our seeding in the playoffs.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
12 years ago

Tell me to "roll my eyes all I want" all you want, buckeyepackfan, then go back AND REALLY READ the article, especially the part where the writer asserts that "not allowing points" is what this year's Packer defense is all about. Then come back to reality and realize that's not the case. At all.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

El3ment12
12 years ago
What makes us so great on defense is our corner backs. We easily have the 2 best in Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson. Tramon Williams is easily in the top 2 or 3 cornerbacks in the league. The way he jump routes is unbelievable. These 2 guys will carry us through the playoffs.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.