RainX
12 years ago
This is tough. You feel bad for him, but at the same time, he put himself in this situation. He'd definitely still have a place on the Packers roster imo if not for this addiction.

All you can do is hope he can get his life back on track, even if it means serving jail time to do it.
blank
DakotaT
12 years ago
Jolly can apply for reinstatement next week, and if the snowball chance of hell comes true, could be in a Packer uniform for the stretch run.

Who among us is righteous enough to cast the first stone? Even if out of shape, he' an upgrade to Wynn, Green, and Wilson.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Jolly can apply for reinstatement next week, and if the snowball chance of hell comes true, could be in a Packer uniform for the stretch run.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I believe he applied for reinstatement back in February of this year. I wasn't aware he could apply again in a week.

Should the Packers continue to hold out their tender for Johnny Jolly if he is reinstated?

Edit, how long would it take for him to get into shape to play football? I think the Packers would be lucky if he was ready in 4 weeks after being back on the team. But I think this charge  from October of this year will keep him banished.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
Why do you think Aaron lobbied for him a couple weeks ago? This is what I mean about you when I call you a dumbass. You're awesome with step by step facts, but you lick ass at foresight.

Also I'm too lazy to go over to the JoePa thread right now, but did you see that he transferred ownership of his house to his wife for a $1 a few months ago.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Why do you think Aaron lobbied for him a couple weeks ago? This is what I mean about you when I call you a dumbass. You're awesome with step by step facts, but you lick ass at foresight.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

That's a good point I hadn't thought about. I'm still not able to find anything that says he could be reinstated. His charge from October (I'm not sure how severe it is) I would think would eliminate him from playing in 2011 at all, regardless of if he is able to apply for reinstatement.

Are you saying because Aaron Rodgers said...

When you look at some of the other guys that have been reinstated in the league after jail sentences, and justly, rightly so, Johnny didn’t serve any days in prison, sat out for a year and still couldn’t get his case heard, from what I was told. I just think that that’s wrong.

Aaron Rodgers ~10/05/2011 wrote:

that was Aaron Rodgers way of reaching out to Jolly and by those comments you believe Johnny Jolly is eligible for reinstatement?

Or did you read/hear that Jolly was eligible from somewhere and you're using hindsight to say that's why Aaron said the things he did?

I'm trying to figure out your definition of foresight.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
I confess, I was a dirty slut and went behind the backs of PH and read a little timesfour to find out that he could be reinstate. But the rest I put together in my own magnificent brain.

I figured by now my word would be good enough to be taken for gospel around here but you need links.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
12 years ago
I think this sentence is a bit harsh, but the motherfucker didn't learn the first go-around, so I'm torn on that answer. I sure as hell liked him as a football player.

Quit your bickering, you two are just pissing each other off more, imo

...And I readily admit I've "been there, done that" with BOTH you pricks, and further admit I'm a prick also. 😳 😝

So STFU, move on, and get along, assholes. 🤣 (Meant in my usual friendly way [grin1] )
dfosterf
12 years ago

You don't have to argue this one but I take issue with this part.

First, and I want to make this abundantly clear: the choice to take illegal drugs falls on the individual. That's unassailable. You can choose to snort the white stuff, or inject the whatever colored stuff, or pack a bowl of the green stuff. Hell, even slug down the fizzy yellow stuff or the 40% ABV stuff.

That said, the data would point to particular communities, like the poor one Jolly comes from, as having an acutely more difficult time with drugs. This isn't looking at it at an individual level -- this is dropping back and looking at the numbers at a macro level. Drug addiction affects poor black communities at a disproportionately higher level than a lot of other communities. This doesn't excuse Jolly's actions. But we're not talking about white-collar cocaine use.

Drug addiction is tragic. It starts with a series of bad choices, and ends in some irrational physical and psychological dependancy that makes otherwise "normal" people go to extreme lengths to get their high.

I for one feel awful about Jolly. You can see his pain in the video. He needs help. The millions he could make be damned. He made a wrong turn and is paying the consequences for it.

In the same way that I wish Nick Collins can live a healthy life, I hope Johnny can conquer his demons.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

I spent two full years trying to help my youngest son Bryce with his addiction. Two years. Full-time, pretty-much.

Some might actually recall my wife and I buried him.

He "cracked" in his recovery one night. "Slipped", others might say. He had no "tolerance" left, yet thought his "old dose" was the correct one. My wife and I rolled up on where he was with the coroner coming to our car window when we did. We were just looking for him. It was even far more ugly than I am conveying. I don't have the capacity to properly explain what that did to my wife that morning.

I think I have a working knowledge of addiction. Don't confuse this with looking for some sympathy, I'm trying to explain why I have some real "perspective", regarding Johnny Jolly. I may have failed in my explanation, but it is what it is.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I've read a lot of comments where people are feeling sorry for Johnny Jolly. If he had just stayed clean and obeyed his probation from the first charge, he would have been just fine. Rather than doing as told, he breaks probation more than once. He knew the consequences and now it's time for him to accept them.

I thought he was a talented player, but he needs to mature, in my opinion. The man had, what was it, $2.5 million contract over from the Packers? Sometimes we don't realize what we had, or could have had ... until it's completely gone.
UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago

If he had just stayed clean and obeyed his probation from the first charge, he would have been just fine.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

In order to "stay clean" one needs to "get clean." Jolly is an addict -- that can't be underplayed here.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (2h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (3h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (6h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (6h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.