Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I didn't say anyone should require Manning to do so. Obviously, the Colts took a risk and they should take responsibility for it. It's part of the cost of doing business. At the same time, Manning should feel some degree of ethical burden himself. In my opinion, the right thing to do would have been to hold off on signing the contract until after there was more clarity on his situation. (Yes, I know, he needed a contract to be on the roster this year, but he could have signed a one-year extension instead of a blockbuster deal.)

As for the idea that he was being paid for prior services, hadn't he already signed a $100 million deal earlier in his career?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

It's obviously not mutual, but I respect your opinion and disagree with the notion of ethics being mentioned considering we do not know all the facts.

Perhaps MY information is wrong, but Peyton Manning signed the contract before knowing he had to have another surgery to have a chance to play again. They (Colts and Peyton) were under the belief his neck would heal successfully in time for him to play in 2011.

I don't believe Peyton should return any money if he is no longer able to play because if he had not played for the Colts (or another team) there is a good chance his neck would not have needed surgery.

From what I've read and understand, this was an unfortunate thing for Peyton and the Colts, not something underhanded by Peyton to bushwillywhack the Colts out of money.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

[stupid]

Yeah, it's so fuckin difficult to go from Manning's to Collin's neck injuries. Go use your Nazi verbal masturbation on somebody else.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

lol, I was struggling to understand how the hell Kerry Collins and his concussion played any significance in being mentioned. Then I started writing about Nick Collins and LIGHTBULB!
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

They (Colts and Peyton) were under the belief his neck would heal successfully in time for him to play in 2011.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I am not so sure of this. There seemed to be indications early on that he wouldn't be available to start when the season began (one of the reasons he started the offseason program on the PUP list). No doubt both parties hoped that he would be able to return fairly early in the season. My point is that I find it difficult to believe that the doctors failed to raise the specter that he would not return early in the season -- or even that he might experience a relapse. They usually explain those possibilities pretty clearly to a patient before putting him under the knife.

You are right that it is pure speculation, but based on what I know of medical ethics, I find it hard to believe that Manning and the Colts were not advised of the possibility his return might be delayed.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

lol, I was struggling to understand how the hell Kerry Collins and his concussion played any significance in being mentioned. Then I started writing about Nick Collins and LIGHTBULB!

I guess to be fair, I should take into account that most people can't jump subjects as quickly as I can.

Now back to the thief - are you and Dr. Death really trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know his neck hurt? You two just went down a couple notches to dumb and dumber category for being gullable. Are all people from Wisconsin like this? My Dad is a sconi and a complete dumbass - but i always held a high regard for yous.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago
Manning feeling ANY obligation to refund even one dollar of the money he received is laughable. This isn't a charity, and ethics do not come into play here. While perhaps not the same magnitude, how many players sign huge contracts and aren't healthy enough to play the majority of the season or get benched early? How about draft busts? It's the NFL. Get every bit of money possible during the 10-20 years in the league, and get out. If an organization is willing to sign the check, they should be more than willing to cash and and never look back. Besides, the Colts organization will be just fine, especially with a potential new super star coming in with that top 5 pick. Bad management decision? Perhaps, but that's not Peyton, nor his agents fault. As we can see from this season, that team is NOTHING without him. He's had decent to average teams with horrible defenses for years but still found a way to make them a contender. Also, I have no doubt if there's any possibility of Manning playing again, he will. If not, he will likely be back at some point as a coach; then the issues of his contract can be discussed once more.
DakotaT
12 years ago

Manning feeling ANY obligation to refund even one dollar of the money he received is laughable. This isn't a charity, and ethics do not come into play here. While perhaps not the same magnitude, how many players sign huge contracts and aren't healthy enough to play the majority of the season or get benched early? How about draft busts? It's the NFL. Get every bit of money possible during the 10-20 years in the league, and get out. If an organization is willing to sign the check, they should be more than willing to cash and and never look back. Besides, the Colts organization will be just fine, especially with a potential new super star coming in with that top 5 pick. Bad management decision? Perhaps, but that's not Peyton, nor his agents fault. As we can see from this season, that team is NOTHING without him. He's had decent to average teams with horrible defenses for years but still found a way to make them a contender. Also, I have no doubt if there's any possibility of Manning playing again, he will. If not, he will likely be back at some point as a coach; then the issues of his contract can be discussed once more.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

First of all, let's not bring every swinging dick player into the discussion. We are talking about Peyton signing a contract with $50M in guarantees, and whether or not it was right of him when he knew a surgery affecting his future was imminent. And let's also not forget that this guy is already loaded to begin with. Some may go as far as to say he's a media whore, who's made more money in endorsements that playing football.

Now if I'm a Colts fan, I'm pretty pissed off right about now, because I've been sodomized without lubrication. I cannot stand the deity that some of these guys are given, and let's hope our QB can fight off human nature as long as possible.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I guess to be fair, I should take into account that most people can't jump subjects as quickly as I can.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I am supremely confident many can jump quick as if not quicker, however, knowing which subject you're jumping to is another story. You expecting us to know this is very womanish of you in the sense women want us to read their mind.

If I am a Colts fan, I am not pissed at all. I am frustrated that my teams start QB is suffering a neck injury, for the second season in a row. Remember, he had the same if not similar surgery prior to '10 and played. I can not imagine the Colts were predicting the same out of Peyton and his neck.

Edit,

I’m thinking about how can I get a little better? [The contract] is really a one-year deal with a four-year extension and that was my recommendation because I wasn’t healthy when I signed the contract.

Peyton Manning  wrote:

Looks like Peyton put the Colts in mind during his contract. Ethics?
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

I am supremely confident many can jump quick as if not quicker, however, knowing which subject you're jumping to is another story. You expecting us to know this is very womanish of you in the sense women want us to read their mind.

[stupid]

Oh, I might make you a woman someday; but it won't have anything to do with mind reading. Go play with someone else little boy.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Looks like Peyton put the Colts in mind during his contract. Ethics?

It's pretty easy to look gracious when you are signing a contract that gives you OVER 50 percent of the money up front, regardless of whether you ever play another down. I already pointed out that the contract is voidable after one year, but the Colts will still be out $50 million. Only in sports could someone sign a gigantic contract, knowing full well he probably wasn't capable of performing the job he signed up for, demand the majority of money up front, and still be defended by bystanders.

And Dakota, where on earth do you get the idea that I was giving Manning the benefit of the doubt? I stated repeatedly that he probably had been advised he wouldn't be able to play for at least a good chunk of this season, perhaps not ever again. That's why I think his ethics are sketchy on this deal. He took what essentially amounted to a $50 million gift and gave nothing in return for it. He should have waited until he was healthy to sign a mammoth deal like that.

I have repeatedly expressed skepticism about Bill Polian's management style in recent years, and this is another example of what I'm talking about. Before anyone mentions it, I do realize that this particular deal is more a symptom of Jim Irsay's meddling than anything. It was Irsay who declared that, come hell or high water, he was going to make Peyton Manning the highest-paid player in the league, giving Manning the opportunity to look like the good guy by taking "only" $90 million instead of the $100 million Irsay had wanted to throw at him. It doesn't change the fact that Polian has failed to put a team behind Manning, as amply evidenced by their utter ineptitude this year.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
12 years ago
Anytime a team gives a guy a contract like that, they are taking the chance that it might come back to bite them. The Colts made the CHOICE to guarentee it. So i don't see why Manning would pay any of it back to them.
And as far as where Manning will end up, i already KNOW. Where ALL washed up QB's go to collect alot of free cash, MINNESOTA! 😇
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (9h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (11h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (13h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (13h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.