vikesrule
13 years ago
1991 -Green Bay Packers 1st round - Vinnie Clark

Ya'll could have had Brett Favre. ::wink:
Greg C.
13 years ago

No doubt. Mandarich was drafted higher (#2 overall), and the player we missed out on because of him (Barry Sanders) was better than Ronnie Lott and was a much bigger star in college, and therefore a more obvious pick. Maybe Vandermause went with Campbell just to be different.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult with this ...

Player for player, yes (no bias) Barry Sanders > Ronnie Lott, but which would have helped that team MORE during that time?

Did the '81 Packers need an QB more than a S?
Did the '89 Packers need an OL more than a RB?

Would a Ronnie Lott have helped the '81 Packers more/less than Barry Sanders would have helped the '89 packers?

Barry Sanders averaged just over 85 yards on 79 "grass" games and nearly 115 yards on 74 "turf/carpet" games. (Barry averaged nearly 110 yards on Lambeau Field [regular season], with a 5.4 yards per carry, 2 fumbles, 1 lost and 2 TD's)

'89 Packers w/Barry Sanders, who also the year prior drafted Sterling Sharpe ... I don't believe Tom Braatz gets fired, nor does Lindy Infante, which we all know opened the door for Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre.

I think maybe Infante and Braatz last a few more years with the Sharpe/Sanders combo, then ultimately get let go, then '94 is Sharpe's last season ... I just don't see the Packers winning it all because Favre wouldn't have been a Packer and Reggie White would have signed with the Redskins instead.

I really believe that Tony Mandrich pick had this big of a domino effect. And strongly feel the Packers would not have reached the Super Bowl.

I don't know the history of the '81 Packers at all so I don't know that domino effect, but I can only assume its less important because the Packers didn't win a Super Bowl between '81 and '89 after the Campbell selection.

Therefore, I could see how Rich Campbell was a bigger bust.

"Greg C." wrote:

I've heard all of this before, but I don't think it factors into this discussion. If a bad draft pick may have had a paradoxical effect of causing a team to ultimately get better, that doesn't make the pick any less bad. Also, the main reason the Packers eventually got better was because they picked the right GM, the right coach, and the right players. The Mandarich pick led to a changing of the guard, but if they hadn't made exactly the right changes, it would not have mattered.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I don't think Sanders would have been as good on grass. Lott would have looked good in GB though.
I recall Campbell saying that the coaches ruined his career by messing with his throwing motion. Dunno what all happened with that, I was too young at the time.
Also don't know why Brent Fullwood didn't make the list. Dude wouldn't be healthy enough to play, but he was fine to go out dancing later in the night. Darrell Thompson sucked too, but at least we got something out of him.
Iirc Fullwood returned a ko for a td on his first touch, but then fumbled right before the goal line or something.

"lords_of_thelema" wrote:

(Barry averaged nearly 110 yards on Lambeau Field [regular season], with a 5.4 yards per carry, 2 fumbles, 1 lost and 2 TD's)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I've heard all of this before, but I don't think it factors into this discussion. If a bad draft pick may have had a paradoxical effect of causing a team to ultimately get better, that doesn't make the pick any less bad. Also, the main reason the Packers eventually got better was because they picked the right GM, the right coach, and the right players. The Mandarich pick led to a changing of the guard, but if they hadn't made exactly the right changes, it would not have mattered.

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm not sure about how to respond here. I think the Campbell pick hurt the Packers more than the Mandrich pick hurt the Packers, for reasons I mentioned. And you say the Packers got better because of the right GM, etc ... isn't that what I said too? Maybe I'm taking that statement incorrectly.

lol, I almost started writing what I said in the quote again because from your response it didn't seem like you read it, but obviously you have.

I think many view the Mandrich pick worse because of who was picked after him, perhaps the more gooder way to analyze this, but I prefer a wider spectrum of which I laid out. It's confusing.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
13 years ago
Looking at the '89 draft it looks like our best player was the 6th rounder, kicker Chris Jacke or 5th rounder Vince Workman lmao. We didn't have a 2nd that year but did have 2 3rds.

And on that note I say we trade or 1st this year to the likes of the Bengals or Cards for there 1st next year and maybe a 4th this year. Then trade Flynn to Tennessee for their 2nd and then package our 2 2nds for a high 1st and draft the JJ Watt out of Wisconsin. Or trade Flynn to Carolina for their 1st next year 🙂
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
How can we do that when players can't be traded?
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
When Starr chose Campbell he was trying to do what was best for the Packers long term, similar to when Ted Thompson chose Rodgers. The defensive coaches wanted Lott. I don't remember positively who made the decision(Braatz?), but they decided to go wtih Starr and the offense. Obviously, Lott would have been a better choice.

What is interesting is the follow up story. The following year there was conflict between the offenses and the defense again on player choice in the 3rd round. They went with the defense this time because because they had gone with the offense the year before with Campbell. The defense got Charles Martin and the offense lost out on - ta da!!! - Joe Montana. Now you know the rest of the story!

How things might have been if the situations were reversed!
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Rich Campbell fires back.  :thumbleft:

EDITORS NOTE: Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Rich Campbell serves as the Martin County columnist for Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers in Florida. This column by Campbell is reprinted with permission.

Mike Vandermause, sports editor of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, recently compiled his list of the top 5 first-round busts in team history (Green Bay Packers draft busts start with QB Rich Campbell).

Im No. 1 and still making headlines after all these years!

Rounding out the top 5 are Michigan State offensive tackle Tony Mandarich (No. 2 overall in 1989), Nebraska quarterback Jerry Tagge (No. 11 overall in 1972), Florida State defensive end Jamal Reynolds (No. 10 overall in 2001) and Iowa quarterback Randy Duncan (No. 1 overall in 1959).

Me, No. 1?

Ahead of Mandarich?

That hurts.

Once again, a sports writer is guilty of ignoring the contributions or lack thereof of an offensive lineman (Mandarich), and giving a quarterback (me) more credit or blame than I deserve.

At this point the reader probably expects me to launch into a defense of myself and attack Mandarich. However, I'm bigger than that. Much bigger.

Besides, most football insiders are familiar with Mandarichs story: Prior to the 1989 draft, the 6-foot-5, 315-pound lineman bench pressed almost 550 pounds and ran a 4.65 40-yard dash. He was coveted by every NFL team. Sadly, Mandarich's size, strength and speed were the result of chemical enhancements.

Without steroids to prop him up in the NFL, Vandermause writes, Mandarich was a shell of his former college self and the Packers suffered the consequences.

Sounds like a solid No. 1 to me.

This past weekend, I watched ESPNs Whos No. 1? Biggest NFL Draft Busts. Mandarich was No. 2 out of 20 of the entire league. My name didnt appear anywhere on the list (though I sweated through each selection).

That has to count for something.

Vandermause is a skilled, astute writer when analyzing the career of Mandarich, whom he refers to as a stiff who lasted three dreadful seasons in Green Bay. In fact, this is some of the best sports journalism Ive ever read. However, his critique of my four fruitless years in Green Bay is far less convincing, even though he wrote twice as much about me as he did the others on the list.

I was the No. 1 draft choice (No. 6 overall ) of the Green Bay Packers in 1981. Thirty-years later I'm still No. 1, but on a different list.

Id provide examples to counter his argument ... if I could think of some. Just take my word for it: Vandermause is wrong.

I dont dispute my inclusion on his list. But No. 1?

Since poor Randy Duncan continues to be mentioned among the all-time draft busts in Packers history 52 years after the fact I guess I can expect similar treatment in the years ahead.

Wonder if hed like to trade places?

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Campbell is right. I don't know what Vandermause was smoking when he wrote that column.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Campbell is right. I don't know what Vandermause was smoking when he wrote that column.

"Greg C." wrote:

agreed.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.