Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110414/PKR07/110414172/Mike-Vandermause-column-Ranking-the-top-5-draft-busts \

Thirty years ago this month, the Green Bay Packers made the worst draft decision in franchise history.

Rich Campbell out of California was taken by the Packers in the first round with the No. 6 overall pick and was considered the teams quarterback of the future.

It was bad enough Campbell proved he wasnt an NFL-caliber quarterback during the four fruitless years in which he mostly languished on the end of the Packers bench. Campbell appeared in seven career games and finished with abysmal numbers: three touchdown passes, nine interceptions, a 45.6 completion percentage and 38.8 passer rating.

The worst part was the Packers could have selected future Hall of Fame defensive back Ronnie Lott, who was taken two picks later by the San Francisco 49ers.

With Lott patrolling the secondary and making plays, the Packers would have been a consistent playoff qualifier in the early 1980s rather than a perennial 8-8 team.

Its ironic that the greatest draft choice in Packers history, Bart Starr, made the decision to select Campbell. Starr, who transformed himself from an unsung 17th-round draft pick to a Hall of Fame quarterback, couldnt work the same magic with Campbell.

The decision was even more baffling because the Packers didnt need a quarterback. Lynn Dickey was in the prime of his career and produced five solid seasons after Campbell was drafted. What the Packers sorely needed was help on defense.

Starr later admitted he was concerned with a flaw in Campbells throwing motion before the draft, and there were some strong voices in the Packers draft room lobbying for Lott. In the end, Starr made the wrong choice, and it eventually cost him his job as head coach.

The Campbell selection highlights both the allure and curse of the draft. There are no guarantees, even at the top of the first round, and every decision has the potential to either elevate or haunt a team for years to come.

Campbell ranks No. 1 on the list of all-time Packers draft busts, but there are other strong candidates to fill out the top five:

2. Tony Mandarich

In April 1989 he was hailed as The Incredible Bulk on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the subhead: The Best Offensive Line Prospect Ever. Three years later the same magazine put him on the cover again with this proclamation: The NFLs Incredible Bust.

Without steroids to prop him up in the NFL, Mandarich was a shell of his former college self and the Packers suffered the consequences. In picking Mandarich No. 2 overall as an offensive tackle, the Packers passed up the chance to select Barry Sanders, who was drafted No. 3 and became one of the best running backs in NFL history.

Imagine teaming Sanders with Brett Favre in the 1990s. There would have been no stopping the Packers offense, and Favre might have been the owner of more than one Super Bowl championship ring.

Instead, the Packers got stuck with a stiff who lasted just three dreadful seasons in Green Bay. At least Favre can be thankful Mandarich never had the chance to block for him.

3. Jerry Tagge

This one is especially painful because Tagge, a local boy, couldnt make good in the NFL. Tagge was a football star at Green Bay West and the University of Nebraska. But Dan Devine, the Packers general manager and coach at the time, was desperate for a quarterback and reached for Tagge with the No. 11 overall pick in 1972.

In three forgettable seasons, Tagge appeared in 18 games and threw just three touchdown passes and 17 interceptions. His career passer rating (44.2) and completion percentage (48.4) were only slightly better than Campbells.

In Tagges defense, any quarterback likely was destined for failure playing for Devine, who himself was a colossal bust as an NFL coach and general manager. In his unsuccessful search for a quarterback, Devine managed to squander three first-round picks, four second-rounders and two third-rounders to acquire the likes of John Hadl, Jim Del Gaizo, Tagge and an aging Zeke Bratkowski.

4. Jamal Reynolds

The Packers were expecting big things from Reynolds, the No. 10 overall pick in 2001 who was supposed to become an explosive pass rusher. What they got instead was an undersized, underachieving defensive end that made no impact in three listless seasons.

Reynolds never started a game for the Packers. He looked small during his first minicamp appearance in Green Bay during the spring of 2001 and proceeded to play that way.

It was General Manager Ron Wolfs final draft before his retirement, and Reynolds made it a forgettable farewell. There has been speculation Wolf bowed to coach Mike Shermans wishes to select Reynolds.

One mistake usually leads to another, and Reynolds failure with the Packers compelled Sherman, as general manager, to sign unrestricted free agent defensive end Joe Johnson in 2002. As it turned out, Johnson was as big a bust as Reynolds.

5. Randy Duncan

Its been 52 years since the Packers owned the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which followed their 1-10-1 record in 1958. Their selection of quarterback Randy Duncan proved to be a complete washout when the Big Ten MVP out of Iowa and consensus all-American opted to play for the British Columbia Lions in the Canadian Football League.

Duncan later was quoted as saying: That was Green Bay before Vince Lombardi, and Canada offered a lot more dough.

Lombardi was hired two months after Duncan was drafted, so the Iowa quarterback had the chance to be part of a legendary NFL dynasty.

However, its doubtful Duncan could have won the starting quarterback job with the Packers, who already had the unproven Starr and the veteran Lamar McHan splitting time. Duncan played two years in Canada and returned to the NFL to play one season with the Dallas Texans, where he started just two games and completed 37 percent of his passes before retiring.

The Packers lost another first-round pick to the CFL in 1980, when No. 4 overall selection Bruce Clark, a defensive tackle, chose to play for the Toronto Argonauts. But at least the Packers received a first-round draft choice from New Orleans as compensation (No. 11 overall) when Clark returned to the NFL two years later.

"Mike Vandermause" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I haven't yet read the whole article. I wonder what classifies a bust as being an all time bust?

Where the player was drafted plays a role.
What the team needed most plays a role.
Does who was drafted a few slots afterwards play a role as well?

Useless information, I went to Green Bay West, I blew up his records! 🙂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I was just getting ready to post this. Good thing I checked.

For some reason I rank Mandarich as being a bigger bust than Campbell.

As I recall the experts were giving Starr credit for having the guts to draft Campbell. They said it proves Starr was drafting for the good of the team instead of himself. Everyone knew Campbell would need a few years of seasoning before he would be ready to play. After so many poor to mediocre seasons Bart would probably be gone before Campbell had a chance to carry the team to the playoffs.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Rich Campbell out of California ... where did Aaron Rodgers play?
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

For some reason I rank Mandarich as being a bigger bust than Campbell.

"wpr" wrote:

No doubt. Mandarich was drafted higher (#2 overall), and the player we missed out on because of him (Barry Sanders) was better than Ronnie Lott and was a much bigger star in college, and therefore a more obvious pick. Maybe Vandermause went with Campbell just to be different.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

No doubt. Mandarich was drafted higher (#2 overall), and the player we missed out on because of him (Barry Sanders) was better than Ronnie Lott and was a much bigger star in college, and therefore a more obvious pick. Maybe Vandermause went with Campbell just to be different.

"Greg C." wrote:

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult with this ...

Player for player, yes (no bias) Barry Sanders > Ronnie Lott, but which would have helped that team MORE during that time?

Did the '81 Packers need an QB more than a S?
Did the '89 Packers need an OL more than a RB?

Would a Ronnie Lott have helped the '81 Packers more/less than Barry Sanders would have helped the '89 packers?

Barry Sanders averaged just over 85 yards on 79 "grass" games and nearly 115 yards on 74 "turf/carpet" games. (Barry averaged nearly 110 yards on Lambeau Field [regular season], with a 5.4 yards per carry, 2 fumbles, 1 lost and 2 TD's)

'89 Packers w/Barry Sanders, who also the year prior drafted Sterling Sharpe ... I don't believe Tom Braatz gets fired, nor does Lindy Infante, which we all know opened the door for Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre.

I think maybe Infante and Braatz last a few more years with the Sharpe/Sanders combo, then ultimately get let go, then '94 is Sharpe's last season ... I just don't see the Packers winning it all because Favre wouldn't have been a Packer and Reggie White would have signed with the Redskins instead.

I really believe that Tony Mandrich pick had this big of a domino effect. And strongly feel the Packers would not have reached the Super Bowl.

I don't know the history of the '81 Packers at all so I don't know that domino effect, but I can only assume its less important because the Packers didn't win a Super Bowl between '81 and '89 after the Campbell selection.

Therefore, I could see how Rich Campbell was a bigger bust.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago
really who was the worst coach starr or lindy.

is there a worst of the worst? I'll pick Tony Madarich as the biggest bust b/c he had so much hype coming out of college.

he even boasted about never giving up sacks in school.

I do not know if anyone remembers, but Howie Long played a game against Mandarich when Howie was a raider and tony was a packer. Long said early in the week he was going to embarrass Tony in the game and he surely did.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Interesting approach Zero.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

really who was the worst coach starr or lindy.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Lindy hands down. Bart came in telling everyone he did not know what it took to be a HC. That he would have to learn on the job. It is just not as easy as some may think it is.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Zero - So you're kind of saying that Tony Mandarich should get a '96 SB ring? 😉
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (36m) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (45m) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.