Finley88Beast
13 years ago
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b10771/article/mccarthy-responds-to-rodgers-critique-of-game-plan-?module=HP_headlines 

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he and quarterback Aaron Rodgers are on the same page, one day after Rodgers offered a polite but pointed public critique of the team's game plan in the wake of Sunday's narrow victory over the Detroit Lions.

Clearly, Rodgers prefers some pages of the playbook to others.

Asked about Rodgers' suggestion that Green Bay should have used more multiple-receiver shotgun formations to spread out the Lions' defense and get their best players on the field on Sunday, McCarthy said the offense is designed to use a wide variety of formations.

And while Rodgers certainly has input on weekly game plans, there's no question who has the final say.

"Did we have plays called in the game that put our players in position to win? Yes we did, and that's the bottom line," McCarthy said Monday. "How much we spread out and how much we don't spread out, the coaches coach, and the players play."

Rodgers threw three touchdown passes in the first half as the Packers took a 21-7 lead. But Green Bay's only points the rest of the way would come on a defensive touchdown by Charles Woodson, and they barely held on for a 28-26 win.

After the game, Rodgers said he felt the Packers had gone away from the strength of their offense -- a deep group of wide receivers and athletic tight end Jermichael Finley, especially in the wake of a season-ending ankle injury to running back Ryan Grant.

"It's a win, so we're happy about that," Rodgers said. "Offensively, we've got to find our identity again. I think we've got to make sure that we've got our best players on the field at all times and find ways to get them the ball."

Rodgers said the Packers had success spreading out the Bears' defense in a loss at Chicago last Monday night, and wanted to see more of the same against the Lions.

"I think we had great production last week being in the shotgun a lot, spreading them out, and Chicago has a tough scheme," Rodgers said. "I think Detroit runs their scheme well, but I don't think we gave them a chance (by) spreading them out enough to find those mismatches. When we did, I think we were pretty productive."

Rodgers made an appearance in the Packers' locker room while it was open to the media Monday, but didn't want to expand on his remarks.

Rodgers chooses his words carefully in front of the media and generally avoids controversy. But in his third season as a starter, Rodgers is emerging as a team leader -- and, quite possibly, the new face of the franchise -- and might be exploring the boundaries of his newfound stature.

McCarthy said Rodgers has a lot of input as the team puts together its offensive game plan every week.

There's no need to fret about missing any games. You can watch every contest again with Game Rewind. Get more information here.

"I have not talked to Aaron yet," McCarthy said. "I'll see him today, like I always do, in the meetings. We'll talk about the game. We'll talk about the things I thought he did very well, and we'll talk about the things that he needs corrections on. As far as getting our best guys on the field, I was very confident in the game plan."

McCarthy said turnovers -- including two interceptions by Rodgers -- made Sunday's game a strange one for the offense. The Packers ran only 40 offensive plays, and their time of possession was only 22:23.

"I think anytime that happens, right there, that's out of balance for us from the beginning," McCarthy said. "We want to be 70, 75 plays in the ballgame, and we were just a little over half of that. I'm sure everybody was wanting more opportunities."

And McCarthy was far more concerned about his team's four turnovers and 3-for-7 effort on third-down conversions than he was about the Packers somehow getting away from their offensive identity.

"Our identity hasn't changed," McCarthy said. "We're a multiple offense. We have the ability to get in and out of a number of different personnel groups. We spend a lot of time trying to stress out our opponent from a personnel standpoint, formations included, and at the end of the day we're about the fundamentals of football. That's what I focus on.''

A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
musccy
13 years ago
I had sensed this quote had some extra spice behind it.

this actually concerns me a little...it smells a little of the chilly/favre incident at carolina last year.

I'm not saying Rodgers is a prima donna malcontent like Burt, and he may even have valid points, but I prefer he keep them behind closed doors like he has up to this point.
Finley88Beast
13 years ago

I had sensed this quote had some extra spice behind it.

this actually concerns me a little...it smells a little of the chilly/favre incident at carolina last year.

I'm not saying Rodgers is a prima donna malcontent like Burt, and he may even have valid points, but I prefer he keep them behind closed doors like he has up to this point.

"musccy" wrote:

Ya I was thinking the same thing but it sounded worse in this article than the PC by arod.All he said was "We need are weapons on the field" thats it.MM said he is 100% sure him and Aaron Rodgers are on the same page and I do to.
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Greg C.
13 years ago
I'm not worried about it because it's not part of a pattern. If Rodgers makes a couple more statements like this or he gets in an argument with McCarthy on the sidelines or something, then I'll start to get worried. But I don't see that happening.
blank
Chutzpah515
13 years ago
I think this may have been taken out of context a bit. However, when ever a player publicly voices discontent with a coach's game plan, it can be a sign of a much deeper problem. Without an effective running game, I would have to agree with Rodgers. Regardless, Rodgers and McCarthy should deal with this issue now before it possibly becomes a bigger problem.
UserPostedImage
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
The problem was and I agree with MM,it was a weird game for the offense they were not on the field for a long time which in time didn't open up the playbook that much.But ya im not to worried either Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers have a good relationship imo and idk if they will ever argue like farve and chilly.
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
peteralan71
13 years ago
I like that Rodgers and McCarthy are on the same page. Even more, if they are not on the same page, I like that McCarthy won't air his dirty laundry like many coach-QB couples will. It is essential that the two of them stay on the same page. The fact that McCarthy is allowing Aaron to make decisions that will effect the gameplay one way or another is huge. It give Rodgers a sense of ownership, which makes it all that more important to him.
Its kind of like if a person works to buy a vehicle, they will value it and care for it much more, as opposed to the individual who gets a car just handed to them. Rodgers takes an immense amount of pride in the offense, and it shows.
Once we get some defensive players healthy, we can keep our offense on the field more than 22 minutes (that was ridiculous) and our offense will sync up.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I actually think it's a good sign.

I'd rather have this than everything Fleischerized.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
13 years ago

I actually think it's a good sign.

I'd rather have this than everything Fleischerized.

"Wade" wrote:

Yes it is a bad sign when Ari is hired as a consultant. lol.

IMO.. based on some players comments, Jenkins, there still seems to be some piss poor communication inside 1265. That starts from the top down..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Johnson
13 years ago
"It's a win, so we're happy about that," Rodgers said. "Offensively, we've got to find our identity again. I think we've got to make sure that we've got our best players on the field at all times and find ways to get them the ball."

Sounds like our QB is smarter than our coach. Maybe Mike McCarthy should maintain his authority but listen a little? Thoughts?
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.