beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
DT Colby Wooden
6'4" 273 lbs
Auburn

Another penetrating DT to go with Wyatt from last year, though, as the announcers talked about, I wonder if he might rotate in at times at OLB, as Packers like those big OLBers, but Wooden might not have the athletic skill set for that full time, but in a limited rotation.he might be able to do it

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wooden has good size and length for a 3-4 defensive end prospect. As a run defender, he has the quickness to penetrate when he lines up inside the tackle and the strength to set the edge when he lines up on the outside. As a pass-rusher, he has the power to drive offensive tackles, but he's more effective when he reduces inside than he is coming off the edge. Wooden also shows the quick first step and heavy hands to develop into an effective interior pass-rusher. -- Steve Muench

UserPostedImage
a year ago
per  McGinn
COLBY WOODEN, Auburn (6-4, 278, 4.82, 3-4): Fourth-year junior, three-year starter. “He was playing inside but Andrew Leota got hurt like third or fourth game,” one scout said. “So then they started playing Wooden at defensive end. He was 287 I think in the fall. Then he dropped some weight to play outside. Then he gets to the combine and they have him in the defensive end stack and he was (273). Really, he’s a 285-pound 3-technique tackle. Is he the most physical player? No. But he’s a very athletic guy.” Ran a solid 40 and tested well. Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 10 3/8. “Excellent, excellent kid,” said a second scout. “I think he’s a 5-technique but you’ll have to try him both ways to see what he can do.” Finished with 152 tackles (30 for loss) and 15 sacks. From Lawrenceville, Ga.
Go Packers!!!!
a year ago
additional analysis from Packers talk 
BREAKING: Packers Select DL Colby Wooden with the 116th Overall Pick
04/29/2023 • By Kole Noble
After targeting the offense on Day 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers have added another player on defense. With the 116th pick in the fourth round, the Packers selected defensive lineman Colby Wooden from Auburn.
Analysis:
Colby Wooden is an extremely versatile defender with experience at defensive end and defensive tackle. He does a great job using his 6’4, 273-pound frame to attack the gaps. Using a quick swipe or arm-over moves, Wooden can battle through opposing offensive linemen.
Wooden was a three-year starter at Auburn where he recorded 152 career tackles, 30 tackles for a loss, 15.0 sacks, and three forced fumbles. In 2022, Wooden played 259 snaps in the B-Gap, 253 snaps outside the tackle, and 131 snaps over the tackle, according to Pro Football Focus.
Wooden is an incredibly athletic player for his size. The 22-year-old recorded a 4.79 40-yard dash with a 9’ 7’’ broad jump. Wooden was a third-fourth round projection, which fits well coming off the board at 116th overall.
Team Fit:
Wooden will be a key rotational player giving the Packers more flexibility on the defensive front. With experience outside and inside, the Packers will be able to rely on Wooden to be a plug-and-play player. He wasn’t a consistent disruptor for the Tigers’ defense but he worked at his best as a pass rusher on the inside.
Former coaches spoke highly of Wooden’s work ethic and character making him a great team-fit in the Packers’ locker room. Wooden still has some room for improvement in developing his instincts and becoming a more consistent player that the Packers can groom out of him over time.
Green Bay showed last season that they needed to add some depth to the defensive line. So far, the team has added two players in the draft to add to the rotation.
Go Packers!!!!
Mucky Tundra
a year ago

Looks Wooden has some legit burst coming off the line. He looks like a DE who kicks in on pass rush packages? Looks like he'll play all over as mentioned in Martha's post. 

Between Kraft and Colby, getting some solid cheese related fun with our new draft picks!

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
Packers kept drafting NTs... but now in the last two years, DT Wyatt, DT Wooden and DT Brooks (and note, Packers announced them as DT even if Wooden and Brooks played Edge rusher in college and are under weight).

Plus Van Ness was a DT in 2021... tons of DT/DE hybrids all of sudden out of no where... at ethe Packers changing their defensive front scheme?

More attacking and penetrating, get in the backfield and less two gap stuff.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (6h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (15h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (20h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (20h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (20h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.