Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Oh. I misread the timestamp. For some reason I was thinking he posted that after the game.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I honestly don't understand the idea of a player throwing a fit in the heat of the moment is a big deal... if he didn't fumble the ball this would be a complete non-story... when things don't go their way, a lot of players throw fits.

Heck Aaron Rodgers threw a fit too... should he be cut as well? No because throwing fits (to a degree) is what players do when they're unhappy, they throw something... not a big deal. It was just horrible timing for him.
UserPostedImage
stevegb
5 years ago
If this is true I have lost a lot of respect I had for Montgomery, no room for selfish players in a team sport.
blank
stevegb
5 years ago

I honestly don't understand the idea of a player throwing a fit in the heat of the moment is a big deal... if he didn't fumble the ball this would be a complete non-story... when things don't go their way, a lot of players throw fits.

Heck Aaron Rodgers threw a fit too... should he be cut as well? No because throwing fits (to a degree) is what players do when they're unhappy, they throw something... not a big deal. It was just horrible timing for him.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah throwing fits and getting upset aren't reasons for being cut or moved but throwing fits and then doing your own thing is, if the team can't trust you you're pretty useless.
blank
nerdmann
5 years ago
Maybe that's why Aaron Jones hasn't seen the field. Maybe they've been tip toeing around Monty's feelings.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

Yeah throwing fits and getting upset aren't reasons for being cut or moved but throwing fits and then doing your own thing is, if the team can't trust you you're pretty useless.

Originally Posted by: stevegb 

Let's be honest, that quote is going from a pissed off player who made a comment in the heat of the moment... if Monty keeps doing this over and over, then year he might be doing his own thing... but have we ever seen anything else like this from Monty? Everything I've heard about Monty the person has been GREAT up until this point... it isn't like CB Randall where there are rumors of possible problems.

According to Monty's statement the ST coach told him what the ST coach always said... if it goes in the end zone, keep it in the end zone... and Monty was watching the ball coming in, looking up and didn't see the end zone in front of him and so he took off...

So this could be a case of where Monty suddenly and randomly has gone rogue which is shock value and spreading all over after pissed off players in the heat of moment throw him under the bus.... or it could be a simply bonehead play, where he didn't realize he catch the ball in the end zone which is boring and not catching peoples attention.

Which seems more likely and reasonable? Are players human? Do they make bonehead mistakes like us fan humans?
UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

if he didn't fumble the ball this would be a complete non-story...

Originally Posted by: beast 

That's kind of the point. He was benched. He threw a fit. He was given explicit instructions, ignored them because of said fit, made an objectively boneheaded move, it turned out badly, and it turned a ~60% chance of winning the game to maybe a 5% chance. Even if this was just an honest mistake... So? We've already been talking about our RBs all being good and not getting enough playing time. Even if this wouldn't have happened you don't think we'd trade Monty for say, a safety or any other position that's suffering right now?

If we had two other QBs on the roster with roughly the same talent level both potential and demonstrated but different skillsets? Yeah I definitely would say "Let's trade him". Absolutely not the same situation though. He's an expendable player at an expendable position that has the most depth on the Packers that's already not getting much playing time. Aaron Rodgers isn't the franchise but he's the least expendable player on this squad, and thus gets more latitude to be a diva.
beast
5 years ago

ignored them because of said fit

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

And people are missing that this is a clear assumption... an assumption that's probably false and yet people are citing it as factual information.

He was upset, and something bad happened, so it must of only happened because he was upset...

That's bad logic, because it's completely ignoring the likely possibility that maybe it would of happened no matter what, even if he wasn't upset...
UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago
Yes some people are attributing his decision simply to the perception that he was upset. But you're attributing the outrage and the calls to trade him simply to the fact that he fumbled the ball. And okay, so maybe this would have happened no matter what. It still would have been a completely boneheaded move and I still would have been screaming at the TV the second he took it out of the endzone. You know, exactly like I did before I even realized he was moping on the sidelines. Because it was a boneheaded fucking move, the Packers aren't good at kick return blocking, and there's maybe a 10% chance to get the ball past the 25 in that circumstance and like a 2% chance of getting it to the 40 yard line. So okay, let's ignore all the talk about his emotions and just call it what it was - a boneheaded play with almost zero potential upside when a player was explicitly told not to do that thing, compounded by a fumble, by a completely expendable player at the team's biggest point of success coming up on the trade deadline.

Just like his emotions were only a part of why he did what he did and how much of a part is completely up for debate, so is him fumbling only being a part of why people suggest that we trade him. Which was the entire point I was getting at. We're not saying we should immediately trade Aaron Rodgers (or at least most of us) when he gets mopey and makes boneheaded plays because he is dramatically less expendable both in terms of players currently on the roster and available elsewhere, contributes a much more measurable amount positive to the team than Montgomery does, and is getting dramatically more playing time (which is tied into the previous two points). People give Rodgers shit constantly for "freelancing" and "not running the offense" and "ignoring open receivers" and "forcing balls deep" and "being a stat whore". But he objectively does dramatically more good for this team than Montgomery does.

Again, I've been a huge fan of Montgomery since literally his first preseason catch. He looked like a fucking beast out there. I don't think he's being effectively utilized in this offense and I think he could be much better utilized with some more intelligent playcalling. He's not going to be utilized that way as long as McCarthy's calling plays, and he's not doing much for us as-is, so let's trade him if we can get something for him. This was just the tipping point.
beast
5 years ago

Yes some people are attributing his decision simply to the perception that he was upset.

Exactly that's my point... that attributing is an assumption that's more likely to be wrong than right.

But you're attributing the outrage and the calls to trade him simply to the fact that he fumbled the ball.

Um, who are you talking to? ...

If me, where did I mention trade or fumble? And I disagree because I didn't realize I mention trade or fumble or was talking about either... so I think your comment would be a false understanding of what I've been saying...

I understand people being upset... I understands calls to punish or do something with him... what I don't understand is how, him being physical upset at being pulled to the sidelines is proof that he's guilty of being anymore selfish or worse than the rest of the players who all want to be out there on the field too.

So okay, let's ignore all the talk about his emotions and just call it what it was - a boneheaded play with almost zero potential upside when a player was explicitly told not to do that thing, compounded by a fumble, by a completely expendable player at the team's biggest point of success coming up on the trade deadline.

I completely agree with you here agree but want to mention that the article made it sound EXTREMELY explicit... and Monty's version made it sound more conditional so I'm just gonna point them out.

Article Quote: He was told to kneel

Monty: He was told to kneel IF it reached the end zone...
It did reach the end zone, but Monty claimed, he didn't realize that it reached the end zone
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (36m) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (1h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (1h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (1h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (2h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (2h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (4h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.