luigis
9 years ago
The 2011 class was not very good, was it?

It's hard to blame the Sherrod pick because there weren't any elite prospects at #32, who would you have picked?
Cobb was a gem, I don't think there was any other player as good as Cobb picked in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft.

Alex Green was a bust and Jordan Cameron was available.

House is actually a good player for the 4th round.

It was a bad draft and getting away with Cobb, Sherrod and House is good enough. I think.

Luis
play2win
9 years ago

The 2011 class was not very good, was it?

It's hard to blame the Sherrod pick because there weren't any elite prospects at #32, who would you have picked?
Cobb was a gem, I don't think there was any other player as good as Cobb picked in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft.

Alex Green was a bust and Jordan Cameron was available.

House is actually a good player for the 4th round.

It was a bad draft and getting away with Cobb, Sherrod and House is good enough. I think.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

After some careful consideration, we have to include Ryan Taylor too. He has been turning himself into a STs ace. Those guys are super important too...

Better than I was saying, and I agree on Sherrod completely. He was a player we needed, and might have had a really great career here. He still might.

But, 6 complete whiffs out of 10. That is still not good. Ted knows that. Not all of your drafts can be stellar. I believe his last two were. We shall have to wait a few years and see, like we are doing here with the 2011...
luigis
9 years ago

After some careful consideration, we have to include Ryan Taylor too. He has been turning himself into a STs ace. Those guys are super important too...

Better than I was saying, and I agree on Sherrod completely. He was a player we needed, and might have had a really great career here. He still might.

But, 6 complete whiffs out of 10. That is still not good. Ted knows that. Not all of your drafts can be stellar. I believe his last two were. We shall have to wait a few years and see, like we are doing here with the 2011...

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Would you really say we had six wiffs? I'm finding hard to pick ANYONE after the 20th pick in the 2011 draft. It was bad, really bad.
There are only about 5-10 very good players after round 1 and we got one of them, from that point of view the draft was good, at least as good as it could be.

The chargers picked Jonas Mouton a few spots ahead of Randall Cobb 🙂 besides the top 10-12 selections no team had a good draft in 2011.
Luis
nerdmann
9 years ago

Would you really say we had six wiffs? I'm finding hard to pick ANYONE after the 20th pick in the 2011 draft. It was bad, really bad.
There are only about 5-10 very good players after round 1 and we got one of them, from that point of view the draft was good, at least as good as it could be.

The chargers picked Jonas Mouton a few spots ahead of Randall Cobb 🙂 besides the top 10-12 selections no team had a good draft in 2011.

These guys are good enough to play in the NFL, just not good enough to make OUR team. If Ted was GMing the Queens, they'd probably all have stuck. Would that have made this draft better?

Anyway, keep these guys healthy and they'd look a whole lot better.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago

Yeah, honestly after the 2nd round there's only 2 or 3 decent players a round until the 6th and 7th where there's none.

Edit: there's a couple decent 6th-7th actually like Charles Clay and Jason Kelce but still a pretty weak draft.
play2win
9 years ago

Maybe that's just it luigis. Not a very good draft year all around. Julius Thomas 129 and Richard Sherman 154 came out of that draft, but we can't cherry pick after the fact...

Pretty tough to pick the big draft winners out of this group. After the first 14 were gone it was quite the crap shoot:
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2011 
steveishere
9 years ago
Seattle got Sherman but even they bombed it early. I haven't looked at everyone but Denver and maybe Cleveland are about the only teams that came out with what most would call a good draft overall.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

We traded back with late rounders for more late rounders. It's not like we traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks for a bunch more 7th rounders or something. You can't trade those 6th and 7th round picks and just move up quality spots because nobody values them much. The strategy they used to get more 6th and 7ths in this draft was fine. They didn't give up any quality spots to get extra picks they gave up junk to get more junk. That it didn't work out in this draft doesn't prove that it's better to trade up in the 1st and 2nd round or anything at all.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I never said they traded a second round pick for a 6th and 7th round pick. I never said that they could trade a 5th, 6th and 7th round picks and get a second round pick in return.

Point is they did give up higher picks by moving down and they got the lower round picks as a part of the package. I am saying these extra picks were not worth their time and effort.

Here is the breakdown:

Denver got 129 and 204 GB got 141 and 186
SF got 163 GB got 174 and 231
Miami got 174 and 231 GB got 179 and 218

It doesn't mean a whole lot until you put the players in.

Denver got Julius Thomas Pro Bowl TE. Plus Virgil Green as a throw in.
GB got DJ Williams and DJ Smith. I will take a Pro Bowl TE anytime.
You can argue that GB would never have taken a TE with Finely on the team. Maybe not, maybe so. They have drafted other TE since htey drafted Finley. They may have taken House 2 spots earlier and then still had their supp pick left over. Who knows who they would have drafted. Maybe one of the players that was taken before they picked up Williams.

SF got Dan Kilgore. He has been their starting center for the past 2 season. GB got nothing for this trade because they traded the 2 picks away to Miami.

Miami got Charles Clay who has started as their safety for about 3/4 of the games the past years. Along with Frank Kearse. GB got Schauderaff and Ryan Taylor.

None of the players may be sexy but clearly the team that moved up got better quality players than GB who moved down. The 3 teams that moved up got a starting player. GB got reserves who are no longer with the team outside of Taylor who was drafted only to be a ST player. No matter how good Taylor is the ST have stunk for the past few years.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
It doesn't mean much when you put the players in either because you are evaluating things with hindsight. They moved back what like 10 spots in late rounds where there are few good players to begin with and no players they thought were worth taking anyways. Would they have been better trading up in the 4th round? Doubt it there were only a couple players taken that have ever done anything.

Every team that traded up above 154 could have drafted Richard Sherman but they all got a worse player instead, that doesn't make trading up always a stupid move. Likewise getting the wrong guy once by trading back doesn't always make trading back a stupid move. You can't just look at things with your supreme hindsight powers.

and Daniels Kilgore hasn't ever played more than 80 snaps in a single season but that's irrelevant anyways.
steveishere
9 years ago
It's like your sitting there in the 5th round and you've got 20 players on your board all rated about the same and someone offers you extra picks to move back 5 spots how is that stupid?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (2h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (2h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (2h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (3h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (3h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (5h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (10h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (10h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.