Zero2Cool
9 years ago
The 2014 draft has concluded and we all wanna give our grades and evaluations before the player has even suited up in the NFL. Let's take a step back a few years and evaluate the 2011 class, shall we? We shall.

2011	1	32	Derek Sherrod	OL	Mississippi St.
2011	2	64	Randall Cobb	WR	East. Kentucky
2011	3	96	Alex Green	RB	Hawaii
2011	4	131	Davon House	DB	New Mexico St.
2011	5	141	D.J. Williams	TE	Arkansas
2011	6	179	Caleb Schlauderaff	OL	Southern Utah
2011	6	186	D.J. Smith	LB	Appalachian St.
2011	6	197	Ricky Elmore	DL	Arizona
2011	7	218	Ryan Taylor	TE	North Carolina
2011	7	233	Lawrence Guy	DT	Arizona St.

This draft SUCKED! Thankfully we got Randall Cobb and that is all we got!
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
Yeah, I wish Sherrod had never gotten hurt like that. Guy has had a kind of rough road being that it's going on year 4 and this is his first time being able to practice with the team during the off season. Hopefully the injury trouble is over with and we get a chance to see if he can actually play football.

Alex Green and DJ Williams are the real bummers, they had all the potential and physical gifts to be players but just couldn't put it together. 6th and 7th rounders to me are just kind of throw aways that you shouldn't expect to do much but you can take a chance on riskier players so I don't really care when those guys don't work out.

Davon House I still like, he has shown the potential to be a good player but he's been inconsistent. He'll shut down a WR and bat down passes and make tackles in one game and in the next he'll give up a couple 40 yard TDs. If he could straighten out that consistency a bit he could be a starter IMO.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Sherrod broke his leg horrifically, after being jerked around at G, without having had an offseason.

Green, DJ Smith and Lawrence Guy were all injured too. Guy had a concussion, then got picked off the PS, and as I understand it is still in the league, and performing well.

House has also had injury problems. Played a whole year in a harness, if I recall. Last year he got beat a few times, but also held up against some tough competition. Made some huge plays. He's a but stiff, needs to take some yoga.

Ricky Elmore was a calculated risk there. We all wanted to see what he had, which turned out to be precious little. Still, sometimes a guy like that will have an intangible.

Ryan Taylor is a core STer and DJ Williams was that year's Donald Lee/David Martin type guy. This year's guy who fits that prototype is Rodgers.

As always the biggest problem facing this team is INJURIES. Clean that shit up Mike, or go away.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

As always the biggest problem facing this team is INJURIES. Clean that shit up Mike, or go away.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Only left for you to pin on Mike McCarthy is cancer. [wasntme]
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
It really did suck. Plain and simple. Cobb is the lone savior of this class.

They must have gone into this draft with a massive hangover from celebrating the SB... too bad. That really hurt us. We needed better, and I think they missed on a TON of players that draft.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Outside of Cobb not much there. House shows promise but is inconsistent. We drafted Taylor for ST only and that's all he contributes on but it feels like we should get more out of him somehow. Hell, it seems like we have 3 or 4 guys we keep around for ST only. That needs to change.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Pack93z
9 years ago
2011 was another draft where we let the draft come to us (at least early in the draft), much like this year, in place of targeting particular players and making moves to get them. Hopefully 2014 isn't a repeat of 2011 in terms of long term success in a Packers uniform.

DJ Smith was a promising player.. still is... personally I didn't get letting him walk so soon.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
What really made this draft so bad was Uncle Teddy loading up on bottom of the barrel picks.

For every Donald Driver there are 1000 Ricky Elmore's. 6 of the 10 picks were in the 5th round or later.

Yes the DJ brothers were on the team for a couple of years and did contribute but they were not awe inspiring by any means.

6 picks to get a special team player isn't a heck of a lot.

This is where I started to say that I hate trading down and accumulating worthless picks.

The comment that more picks means more chances to find a real gem is more or less debunked by looking at 2011. Doing a good job with the picks you have gives you a better chance. Moving up, trading away the junk picks to someone else gets you a better chance.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

What really made this draft so bad was Uncle Teddy loading up on bottom of the barrel picks.

For every Donald Driver there are 1000 Ricky Elmore's. 6 of the 10 picks were in the 5th round or later.

Yes the DJ brothers were on the team for a couple of years and did contribute but they were not awe inspiring by any means.

6 picks to get a special team player isn't a heck of a lot.

This is where I started to say that I hate trading down and accumulating worthless picks.

The comment that more picks means more chances to find a real gem is more or less debunked by looking at 2011. Doing a good job with the picks you have gives you a better chance. Moving up, trading away the junk picks to someone else gets you a better chance.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

We traded back with late rounders for more late rounders. It's not like we traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks for a bunch more 7th rounders or something. You can't trade those 6th and 7th round picks and just move up quality spots because nobody values them much. The strategy they used to get more 6th and 7ths in this draft was fine. They didn't give up any quality spots to get extra picks they gave up junk to get more junk. That it didn't work out in this draft doesn't prove that it's better to trade up in the 1st and 2nd round or anything at all.
Yerko
9 years ago
4 out of 10 players still left on the team.
Sherrod
Cobb
House
Taylor

Alex Green is with the Jets.
DJ Williams is with the Patriots, also played for the Jaguars.
Caleb Schlauderaff is with the Jets.
Lawrence Guy is with the Patriots, also played for the Colts.
DJ Smith is with the Panthers, also played for the Texans.
Ricky Elmore is a free agent.

Without Cobb, this draft would easily be an D, maybe even an F. With Cobb, the draft can probably be given a C-. House and Cobb are really the only contributors to the team and both have been injured. Others have been injured as well so how do you really evaluate anything they've done? You can't.
Sherrod has been a crapshow since being signed. First, there was constant movement and belief that a lineman can play either side at any position on offense. How did that work out? It didn't. And then they get Sherrod in at the position he is a natural at and he suffers a terrible leg injury. Verdict is still out on him but I am not holding my breath.

Taylor is a good special teams addition but surprise, injured.

Aside from that, this hurts to even look at. Thankfully, Cobb was in there.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
TheKanataThrilla (38m) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (41m) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (16h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (19h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (21h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (23h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (23h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (23h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.