Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

All kinds of speculation type nuggets in this article.. thought I would share.

From PackerPedia 

Maybe the Packers espouse the old idea that "young people should be seen and not heard."

Even with a year under his belt, Randall Cobb is still the youngest player on the Packers roster. Coming off of a season where he set the all time franchise rookie record with 1,616 combined yards (which had stood since 1952), it would be reasonable to think that the Packers would want to feature this ascending young player now in his second season.

If they are, they're not letting on.

There has been some speculation recently that the Packers were sandbagging B.J. Coleman, in hopes that if there weren't much film or buzz about him they would be more likely to sneak him on to their practice squad. While we will never really know whether that's true or not, the same case could be made for Randall Cobb and his role in the Packers offense this year.

Cobb is a dynamic playmaker, as evidenced by the fact that he obliterated the aforementioned rookie record previously held by Packers Hall of Fame member Billy Howton by nearly 400 yards. As opposed to Howton, who led the NFL in receiving his rookie season, Cobb's effect was mostly limited to special teams last year. He only touched the ball 27 times on offense, scoring just one touchdown.

Cobb wasn't helped by the fact that there was a lockout last year, so his exposure to the offense was done on the fly. He also is on a team that is stacked at wide receiver, with all four of the veteran players in front of him having at least one 50+ catch season under their belts. The Packers offense was humming last season, so there was little need to make changes during the season to get Cobb more involved.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
"There has been some speculation recently that the Packers were sandbagging B.J. Coleman, in hopes that if there weren't much film or buzz about him they would be more likely to sneak him on to their practice squad."

That's what my line of thinking was weeks ago.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

All kinds of speculation type nuggets in this article.. thought I would share.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Billy Howton played in what, a 12 game season?

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
agopackgo4
11 years ago
I'm not really sure how the Packers could use Cobb more. Unless they take snaps away from someone else. I have a feeling if DD starts to decline Cobb will be right there stepping in that role. Not saying I think that will happen with Driver. But if it does I think thats how Cobb gets his first big offensive chance.
beast
11 years ago

They had a WR run play which is very different for MM, which take kind of thing would be perfect for a returner type like Cobb. Also I'd also like to see a WR pass to another WR for a TD... Cobb was used at a wild cat QB in college, and Nelson has shown at times, he can throw it very well, when he's not being pressured at least and throw a couple of WR passes for TDs in college.

I think Mike McCarthy will have a few more of those type of plays as change up and surprises.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

They had a WR run play which is very different for MM, which take kind of thing would be perfect for a returner type like Cobb. Also I'd also like to see a WR pass to another WR for a TD... Cobb was used at a wild cat QB in college, and Nelson has shown at times, he can throw it very well, when he's not being pressured at least and throw a couple of WR passes for TDs in college.

I think Mike McCarthy will have a few more of those type of plays as change up and surprises.

Originally Posted by: beast 

HB option! Isn't Cobb left handed?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
tromadz
11 years ago

HB option! Isn't Cobb left handed?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Any throws made by someone NOT #12 is a wasted play.

I also don't get the Driver decline talk this year. As far as I remember, he was the only damn one catching balls in that playoff game we choked in last year. Unless he is too slow, can't make cuts, or stops catching balls, he should be in there. My mancrush on Driver is so deep I'd like him in (or at least on the team) even if he does decline.
nerdmann
11 years ago

Any throws made by someone NOT #12 is a wasted play.

I also don't get the Driver decline talk this year. As far as I remember, he was the only damn one catching balls in that playoff game we choked in last year. Unless he is too slow, can't make cuts, or stops catching balls, he should be in there. My mancrush on Driver is so deep I'd like him in (or at least on the team) even if he does decline.

Originally Posted by: tromadz 

They were covering him with a LB.
mkapp
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

Double pass? I don't see Mike McCarthy trying that stuff. Maybe a reverse or a handoff during a kick return.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago

They were covering him with a LB.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

..but he still caught touchdowns.

If teams want to place a linebacker on Driver, they are just making a mistake. He has shown that.
Just because a team is dumb enough to place a LB on Driver, doesn't mean Driver still can't outplay a DB.

Cobb is going to be a phenomenal player for the Packers in the upcoming seasons. He is a very dynamic player and can do a lot but lets stay away from the whole trick play thing. Like someone said, a pass not made by 🇦🇷 is a wasted play. What Cobb needs to do is join that little offseason group of Greg Jennings and Larry Fitzgerald and work on his route running to get up to Gregorious' level.

...almost brings a tear down my cheek thinking about that and the possibilities from it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (11h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.