yooperfan
11 years ago
Cobb has a big enough dynamic upside without resorting to trick plays.
I would hope Mike McCarthy stays away from that crap.
Leave it to Tebow and the Jets.
doddpower
11 years ago

..but he still caught touchdowns.

If teams want to place a linebacker on Driver, they are just making a mistake. He has shown that.
Just because a team is dumb enough to place a LB on Driver, doesn't mean Driver still can't outplay a DB.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

It's my opinion that that's exactly what it means. They weren't making a mistake. Cover him with a LB because they KNOW Driver isn't a serious threat to win the game for the Packers. Stop Nelson/Jennings and somewhat Finley and a win should be easy to pull out. Even with Driver being covered by a LB, he still only caught 3 passes for 45 yards and a TD and forced long drives to do so. Put a LB on Driver and let him catch a few passes underneath, perhaps a crap-time TD here and there, and watch as the Packer's lose.

I'm not denying that Driver deserved a spot on the roster as he seemed to play no worse than equal than the young guys challenging him, and he brings many other intangibles (although it would be nice to get some great special teams play from that roster spot). That doesn't mean that any team fears him in any way, and I don't blame them. If Rodger's isn't winning the game via Nelson, Jennings, Finley, and hopefully more Cobb/Jones (Benson?), than the Packer's aren't winning. Hopefully Driver will at least move the chains at key moments again throughout this season, though.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I don't care whether they run "trick" plays or not as long as they do whatever best helps them win. If trick plays give the other team more things to prepare for and think about, gets them out of sync, etc. giving us an advantage great. If it gets of out of sync, we lose focus, etc, obviously, can it. That's up to the coaches. Mike McCarthy has shown he is not above a little calculated trickery though.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
tromadz
11 years ago

They were covering him with a LB.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Not every play\catch he made.

I hope to see you in chat Sunday. When he makes some grabs, I look forward to making wisecracks about "Was that a linebacker? Oh, it was a safety, still doesn't count, guys! Bring the ball back."

Driver CAUGHT balls. Others DROPPED balls. The men covering them honestly don't matter in the point I'm making. The ball hit those dudes in the HANDS and they dropped them. All of them. Except Donald Driver.

But he was mostly covered by LBs so they don't count.

Good god...
doddpower
11 years ago

Not every play\catch he made.

I hope to see you in chat Sunday. When he makes some grabs, I look forward to making wisecracks about "Was that a linebacker? Oh, it was a safety, still doesn't count, guys! Bring the ball back."

Driver CAUGHT balls. Others DROPPED balls. The men covering them honestly don't matter in the point I'm making. The ball hit those dudes in the HANDS and they dropped them. All of them. Except Donald Driver.

But he was mostly covered by LBs so they don't count.

Good god...

Originally Posted by: tromadz 

Obviously they count, I mean, his TD put 6 points on the board. I don't think anyone is arguing that. My main point is that I don't think defenses fear him at all, because they know that Driver won't win the game for the Packer's. Move the chains here and there, sure, but that's about it. Therefore, focus on shutting down Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and maybe one other person and the chances of a victory for the opposing team are pretty high. That's not necessarily a knock on Driver, although it would be nice if he was more feared. For example, Cobb seems like a threat to score every time he touches the ball, and a linebacker likely wouldn't have a chance of keeping up with him for more than a few seconds. I think that's the larger point. Giving up a few catches underneath and a TD in crap time after a time consuming drive is probably exactly what the Giants were trying to do.
tromadz
11 years ago

Obviously they count, I mean, his TD put 6 points on the board. I don't think anyone is arguing that. My main point is that I don't think defenses fear him at all, because they know that Driver won't win the game for the Packer's. Move the chains here and there, sure, but that's about it. Therefore, focus on shutting down Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and maybe one other person and the chances of a victory for the opposing team are pretty high. That's not necessarily a knock on Driver, although it would be nice if he was more feared. For example, Cobb seems like a threat to score every time he touches the ball, and a linebacker likely wouldn't have a chance of keeping up with him for more than a few seconds. I think that's the larger point. Giving up a few catches underneath and a TD in crap time after a time consuming drive is probably exactly what the Giants were trying to do.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Too much revisionist history in this whole thread. It was "crap time" now? No, it wasn't. Some of them probably were, sure, but...ah forget it, there's no point.

("Why don't you post on the forums more, tro?" - This is why.)
doddpower
11 years ago

("Why don't you post on the forums more, tro?" - This is why.)

Why, because someone has an opinion other than yourself? Oh no, better run then! Heh, unbelievable.

I only said "crap-time" because it was very obvious to me that Packer's weren't going to win at a certain point when the Giants ahead a few scores. I think it was pretty obvious to most viewers that the Packers weren't going to win that game after a couple of turnovers.
tromadz
11 years ago

Why, because someone has an opinion other than yourself? Oh no, better run then! Heh, unbelievable.

I only said "crap-time" because it was very obvious to me that Packer's weren't going to win at a certain point when the Giants ahead a few scores. I think it was pretty obvious to most viewers that the Packers weren't going to win that game after a couple of turnovers.

That's just not true.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

That's just not true.

Quit arguing with the pundants!!!!!! Until Donald driver, A.J. hawk, and Jarret Bush are gone they will contnue downplaying their importance to The Green bay Packers.

It's futile, just roll with it and laugh when they are proven wrong.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Porforis
11 years ago

It's my opinion that that's exactly what it means. They weren't making a mistake. Cover him with a LB because they KNOW Driver isn't a serious threat to win the game for the Packers. Stop Nelson/Jennings and somewhat Finley and a win should be easy to pull out. Even with Driver being covered by a LB, he still only caught 3 passes for 45 yards and a TD and forced long drives to do so. Put a LB on Driver and let him catch a few passes underneath, perhaps a crap-time TD here and there, and watch as the Packer's lose.

I'm not denying that Driver deserved a spot on the roster as he seemed to play no worse than equal than the young guys challenging him, and he brings many other intangibles (although it would be nice to get some great special teams play from that roster spot). That doesn't mean that any team fears him in any way, and I don't blame them. If Rodger's isn't winning the game via Nelson, Jennings, Finley, and hopefully more Cobb/Jones (Benson?), than the Packer's aren't winning. Hopefully Driver will at least move the chains at key moments again throughout this season, though.

All true, but that says less about who Driver is and is not and a lot more about who everyone else is (and is not). Driver certainly isn't going to burn many DBs, but when you need A effort, a couple extra yards, and a sure catch, Driver's your man. Finley and Jones were less than reliable last year, even if they got open more often. If I were Mike McCarthy (be thankful I am not), I would keep DD in there on third downs and goal-line situations, as well as 5 receiver sets. We don't need 5 burners, 5 huge lumbering WRs. We need a balance.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (2h) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (2h) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.