Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
The bold part of the clip from below really cracks me up about the stereotype of the college "spread" offense.. while the progressions are no doubt simpler and the plays generally have a designed option or two.. the concept of the "spread" is staple in many a pro style teams already.

Think back a year or two when the Packers struggled with presnap movement and formation stacks.. a key element in some of the more elaborate spread offenses in college.

The concept is simple.. spread the defense horizontally to create vertical seams through movement, alignment and route design. You see it every Sunday on the gridiron.

Yet many a pro writer or coaches are quick to jab at it like a worn out punching bag, yet they fail to acknowledge what every successful football coach out there does, they borrow or tweak concepts and intermix them with other concepts and apply them to their personnel.

The Spread offense is successful in the NFL... the Packers rode some of the elements to a Superbowl. Yet they still mock its origins and roots.. blindly or ignorantly no less.

The true difference comes in its frequency of use in the pros verses college and the depth of the overall playbook. But it doesn't change the fact that the concept works.. even in the pros.

Harrell's last word on Thursday 
By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

This summer was a testimony of sorts for quarterback Graham Harrell. Each practice and each game, he takes the stand. The former Texas Tech star is out to prove that a quarterback bred in Mike Leach’s pass-happy system can, indeed, succeed in the NFL.

After setting the NCAA record for passing touchdowns and completions at Texas Tech (2005-08), he was unwanted in two leagues — the NFL and the CFL. Last year, the Packers gave Harrell a shot on the practice squad and he’s been improving since.

This Thursday is probably the last Green Bay sees of Harrell for a while. Expect plenty of the 26-year-old at Lambeau Field against Kansas City. It's another chance for him to make a new name for himself.

Heck yes, he’s sick of the “system quarterback” label.

My rant aside.. lol.. I think there is light years of difference in Graham's game.. just think if he could have had a full offseason of QB boot camp.

I have said it other places.. I would have no problems if Rodgers goes down and the Packers move Flynn and Graham steps into a spot start here or there.

The process the Packers are in remind me again of the 90's.. develop, trade and move onto the next project. There are many tangents between the two era's.. even if some fail to acknowledge them all.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
12 years ago
I feel like Harrell might really have been the Packer who was most negatively affected by the lockout what with no QB camp.

Still, it's becoming clear that when you talk about the HC's that are truly QB wizards, and you mention the likes of Walsh, Seifert, Holmgren, and Reid. I think that McCarthy is seriously finding a spot in that conversation. If anyone can coach Harrell up and make a player out of him, it's McCarthy.

I'd like to see the Packers hang on to Harrell. And I'd have to think that they will, what with Flynn all but certainly being out of the picture next season.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
It's sort of like how people used to dog the Jeff Tedford QBs. Tedford's problem was not that there was anything wrong with his coaching, it's that he was so good that he made QBs with average talent look like world beaters, plus the best ones got drafted by awful teams who couldn't give them the coaching they needed to succeed in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers showed us what can happen when a talented Tedford QB goes to a team with talented players and a good coaching staff. Maybe Graham Harrell will be the Mike Leach equivalent of Rodgers. I doubt he'll be as good, but he could at least be respectable.
blank
beast
12 years ago

I would have no problems if Rodgers goes down

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

:-k so your a Bears fan? 😞

[grin1]
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
12 years ago
not sold on him !!

trade flynn or lose him next year, get a vet with experience !!
jimmy b.
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Yawn. Every year the yammering for a veteran backup starts up. Give it a rest, people. What do you really think a veteran with no experience or rapport with the team is going to do that a younger quarterback who is on his second season in the system won't be able to?

Yes, I admit I may be biased because I was really rooting for the Packers to bring in Harrell for a look (then again, I wanted them to bring in Brohm and Brennan too -- shows what I know), but still, he seems to be panning out and I, for one, am looking forward to watching his development.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

not sold on him !!

trade flynn or lose him next year, get a vet with experience !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

We get a compensatory pick if we do lose him. That will depend on his contract and how well he does

We will lose him next year, but it won't be for nothing.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nyrpack
12 years ago

Yawn. Every year the yammering for a veteran backup starts up. Give it a rest, people. What do you really think a veteran with no experience or rapport with the team is going to do that a younger quarterback who is on his second season in the system won't be able to?

Yes, I admit I may be biased because I was really rooting for the Packers to bring in Harrell for a look (then again, I wanted them to bring in Brohm and Brennan too -- shows what I know), but still, he seems to be panning out and I, for one, am looking forward to watching his development.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

i like flynn, but when you hear guys like Mike McCarthy coming out and saying flynn will be a starter in about a year or two, do you think he has a chance behind aaron, no he does not, his contract is up after this season,and i dont believe in harrell being able to get by if something happened to arod, thats why i say get a vet qb, only if flynn gets traded !!
jimmy b.
beast
12 years ago

i like flynn, but when you hear guys like Mike McCarthy coming out and saying flynn will be a starter in about a year or two, do you think he has a chance behind aaron, no he does not, his contract is up after this season,and i dont believe in harrell being able to get by if something happened to arod, thats why i say get a vet qb, only if flynn gets traded !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Just because McCarthy say it doesn't mean it's true. I mean what is he suppose to say... Flynn has no shot at ever being a starter? Yeah that will keep Flynn happen and willing to put in the hard work Mike McCarthy ask him too... (sarcasm)

It's like coach Greene talking about how much he likes Elmore after they drafted him and fans got all excited about Elmore and wonders and questioned why they would draft a 5'10" very little hype LB before him... now sounds like people think the 5'10" LB will make it and Elmore won't.

Coaches for the most part are going to say the "correct" things even if they're not sure if it will happen or don't think it will. Like the Redskins offensive coordinator saying he wanted to draft Beck (who might be their back-up QB) in the top 10 picks that year while he was with the Texans. (when asked if that was true, Texans GM laughed at that idea but nicely said something like I don't think he was quite that high on him)
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago

The process the Packers are in remind me again of the 90's.. develop, trade and move onto the next project. There are many tangents between the two era's.. even if some fail to acknowledge them all.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

This caught me off guard. Who would deny any of the similarities? Just about everyone within the scouting department has roots traced back to Ron Wolf. This is very much a 20 year process that has been going on within the structure of the organization.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.