wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

Football is back.  The Green Bay Packers open the 2021 preseason by hosting the Houston Texans Saturday night at Lambeau Field.  The start of the preseason is always exciting, but you know what is even more exciting?  The start of the regular season.  We have to wait a month for that.  A month of games that don’t matter in the standings, featuring players who may never see the field when it counts, or who may not even be on the team.  A month of games where key players could get hurt and their seasons end or at least become delayed. 

It begs the question:  Are these preseason games really necessary?  Is it time the NFL dumps preseason games and expands the regular season to 18 games, maybe even more down the road?  Do coaches and general managers really need three preseason games to evaluate their young and new players? 

The issue is not new, but until last year, there was no motivation to experiment.  When the Covid pandemic forced all OTAs to be virtual, and all preseason games to be canceled, the league was forced to confront the prospect.   

As the 2020 regular season was about to begin, with no preseason games taking place, predictions about the quality of play were dire.  Expect the first few games to be incredibly sloppy, they all said.  Offenses will be sluggish.  Tackling will be terrible.  Turnovers will abound.   

But a strange thing happened.  Despite the lack of preseason games, most observers were stunned by the overall quality of play.  Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers came out of the blocks on fire, throwing for 364 yards and four touchdowns, in a thrilling 43-34 victory over the Vikings.  The offense looked like a well-oiled machine. 

The biggest argument for preseason games is that young players need game experience to prepare for their NFL careers.  For the Packers, quarterback Jordan Love would be the poster child.  He needs to play extensively in these three practice games to grow as a signal caller.  There is no way he would be ready to take the field under center in a real game if he doesn’t get these August contests under his belt, right? 

Not necessarily.  Cincinnati rookie Joe Burrow started week one without a single preseason game on his resume’.  In his first four games, he threw for 1.121 yards and six touchdowns, with just two interceptions.  That’s an average of over 280 passing yards per game.  Chargers’ rookie Justin Herbert was forced into starting in week two.  Again, with no preseason games in which to get experience, he responded with 311 passing yards and a touchdown against defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City.  Herbert followed that up with a 330 yard performance in his second start versus Carolina. 

In Miami, rookie Tua Tagovailoa did not play in the Dolphins’ first five games, then went on to start nine of the last ten.  He led the team to a 6-3 record down the stretch, throwing for 1,814 yards and 11 touchdowns.  He also ran for 109 yards and three more scores.  All this without ever taking a snap in a preseason game. 

We can debate whether Jordan Love is as talented as players such as Burrow, Herbert and Tagovailoa, but Love even had an entire season to observe, learn, and practice in the NFL, whereas the aforementioned trio were rookies.   

The coaching staffs should be able to arrange their practice formats to allow them to get a good enough reading on their borderline players.  Also, controlled scrimmages against other teams, such as when the New York Jets come to Green Bay this summer, should tell them much about what they need to know.  The Packers already schedule additional sessions for rookies after the regular practice is over.  

Coach Matt LaFleur indicated this week Love would play well into the second half Saturday night.  Will LaFleur play the number one offensive line that long?  Doubtful.  That means Love will be taking snaps protected by reserves and that makes me nervous.  What if Jordan Love, playing in a meaningless preseason game, behind some reserve offensive lineman who misses his block, is sacked hard and suffers a season-ending injury?  What would that do to his path of becoming the starting quarterback next season? (Yes, I'’m assuming Rodgers will be gone.) 

The reality is, preseason games are already an endangered species.  It seems clear the NFL is headed toward the eventual elimination of the preseason, and further expansion of the regular campaign.  This year’s reduction to three practice games, and expansion to 17 regular season contests, seems but a prelude of things to come.  The only reason the games still exist is because of the money they bring in.  The instant NFL owners can convince the players union to further enlarge the regular season, preseason games will quickly get the axe.     

Back in the 1960’s, NFL players used training camp and preseason games to get back into shape.  That luxury is long gone.  So, it would seem, is the need for games that don’t count. 

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Normally I say the PS is for the 45-55th players on the depth chart with an occasional quick riser from the 60's who is proving himself.
This year Love really needs the work following the last two seasons where he was rather so so in 2019 then nothing at all in 2020.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
If memory serves me right, the entire NFL was quite crappy in fundamentals early on last season, especially tackling...

Though I believe some have suggested (and probably true) that some of the defenses struggled as they had no fan noise, which has been helpful for defenses. But that still does answer all their problems like poor tackling technic.

So I don't think preseason is useless, but maybe they just need two games to get ready and maybe not four.

Also it depends player to player to some degree as well.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (12h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (12h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (12h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (13h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (15h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (20h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (20h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.