Announcement Submit your NFL Pick'em Week One picks for 2024 Season! Click HERE
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a month ago
I can't remember teams back in the day, teams being willing to agree to trade for an expensive (either cost or trade value expensive) player, that was in their contract year, UNLESS they reached an extension agreement before the trade, and said player basically signed the extension as part of the trade agreement.

Since the 2019 Dolphins to Texans trade of LT Laremy Tunsil, there have been a number of expensive trades for guys in the contract years where teams let the player play out the final year without an extension, and then get stuck in a situation where the player has all the power (as teams just traded a bunch of draft capital for them), and teams are basically put in a situation where they have give that said player a massive payday, more than the market would pay them.

It makes no d@mn sense to me...

The latest one of these is the Eagles to Jets trade of Edge Rusher Haason Reddick for a conditional 3rd that could potentially become a 2nd if certain conditions are met. Now that trade value isn't as bad as some of the others which have been 1st round picks.

But now Reddick is skipping all team activities until he gets a new deal over the one year $14 million deal he currently has agreed to.

The teams had this figured out before 2019... why are teams falling into these traps now? Don't trade for an expensive guy in the final year of their deal, unless you have an extension worked out with them already. It's that simple.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/reports-haason-reddick-wont-report-to-jets-camp 

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a month ago
Great question. There are several factors involved.
1. If I am trying to acquire a player but have to pay him AND the other team, I will offer a lower draft pick to the other team. Granted I still need to sign the player so he doesn't become a free agent but-
2. If he walks and signs elsewhere I will get a comp pick back in the draft. It's delayed for a year but long term an ecxtra draft pick is still an extra draft pick. Sometimes the players available in 3rd round are better than player who went in the 2nd round the year before.
3. If the player holds out for the entire year then you still have him the following year. It's bad for a player to hold out in his final year because so many of them show up late and don't perform well. That will cost them millions in their next contract.

I know there will be other factors but that's all I have time for now.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a month ago
If Reddick doesn't sign with Jets, and shows up just for the ten games or whatever so he gets the one year accrued thing ... do Jets get compensatory pick if he Reddick signs elsewhere?
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
a month ago

If Reddick doesn't sign with Jets, and shows up just for the ten games or whatever so he gets the one year accrued thing ... do Jets get compensatory pick if he Reddick signs elsewhere?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

So far, the teams have signed them all to new over paid contracts and I don't believe any have gone the comp pick route.

But yes, I believe they would get a comp pick. Or course most of these trades have been for 1st and another pick (sometimes two 1st round picks) so a comp pick doesn't compare well, in this case it potentially is a 3rd so it could in this case.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
27 days ago

Great question. There are several factors involved.
1. If I am trying to acquire a player but have to pay him AND the other team, I will offer a lower draft pick to the other team. Granted I still need to sign the player so he doesn't become a free agent but-
2. If he walks and signs elsewhere I will get a comp pick back in the draft. It's delayed for a year but long term an ecxtra draft pick is still an extra draft pick. Sometimes the players available in 3rd round are better than player who went in the 2nd round the year before.
3. If the player holds out for the entire year then you still have him the following year. It's bad for a player to hold out in his final year because so many of them show up late and don't perform well. That will cost them millions in their next contract.

I know there will be other factors but that's all I have time for now.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Most of the time in the old days you would see the teams do the sign and trade thing. Where the teams making the trade would agree upon a contract amount with the player and the holding team would give him the contract and then make the trade.
On the other note if the player holds out for the entire year the only person it hurts is the player because said player would still be under the contract he hasn't fullfilled. I think this is what happened to Leveon Bell a few years ago, where he ended up coming back to the training camp and then was traded.

The problem I see now is how the spoiled brats are deciding where they will play. I don't agree with the I want a new contract or trade me scenario that is being played way to much. If I was an owner I wouldn't give in He is still under contract and will be until he plays that final year out. But then again I believe all positions should have a cap on them. Like a qb is only allowed 18% of the total cap. It's getting to a point where the QB is taking up 30 to 35% of the cap space.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
27 days ago

The problem I see now is how the spoiled brats are deciding where they will play. I don't agree with the I want a new contract or trade me scenario that is being played way to much. If I was an owner I wouldn't give in He is still under contract and will be until he plays that final year out.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

My issue with that logic is that teams are allowed to use all the tools in their toolbox when they want to renegotiate, and fans have no issues with that.

But when players try to do that same thing (which they are equal parts of the contract) then fans complain.

I think both sides should be treated the same and locked into the contract, or both sides should be allowed to use all the different tools in their toolboxes. Either way, it should be equal.

But then again I believe all positions should have a cap on them. Like a qb is only allowed 18% of the total cap. It's getting to a point where the QB is taking up 30 to 35% of the cap space.

I think that would be extremely too hard position to position, I think a better method would be to set a cap space limit on any one individual player period, so no single player could make more than 20% or 25% or a teams cap limit.

I think that might work.

I'd be very interested on where the Union would come down on a rule like that, obviously at first they would be against more restrictions period. And against it as QBs would hate it and QBs are the face of the players and teams, but also the QBs have not usually been the most involved with the Union... and non-QBs might love it as it'd be more money left for them.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
26 days ago

The problem I see now is how the spoiled brats are deciding where they will play. I don't agree with the I want a new contract or trade me scenario that is being played way to much. If I was an owner I wouldn't give in He is still under contract and will be until he plays that final year out. But then again I believe all positions should have a cap on them. Like a qb is only allowed 18% of the total cap. It's getting to a point where the QB is taking up 30 to 35% of the cap space.

I can be good with this if contracts were guaranteed. Current setup allows Franchises to agree to a contract, then cut the player 2-3 years into the deal. If a Franchise can break contract, I feel it is only fair the player can also say hey I've out did my contract so let's revisit that!

The NFL needs to find a balance. Personally, I think shorter contracts and guaranteed is the win-win. Make contracts contractual again!
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
26 days ago
I think exploring some form of salary cap remediation in the event things go south would be an idea. Team still on the hook for the cash to the player, but either a full or partial reduction in the cap hit. I haven't hashed this out completely, but I do see where it could make these guaranteed contracts less scary for teams and fans of those teams.
beast
  • beast
26 days ago

I think exploring some form of salary cap remediation in the event things go south would be an idea. Team still on the hook for the cash to the player, but either a full or partial reduction in the cap hit. I haven't hashed this out completely, but I do see where it could make these guaranteed contracts less scary for teams and fans of those teams.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

They already have suggested that and teams refused.

The simple answer is make the contracts percentage based, so if the cap goes up, player automatically gets more, and if it goes down, the players automatically gets less.

Teams refused this until COVID took it down, and were demanding the Union to suddenly agree to it, and the Union (rightfully so) was like bullshit... you wouldn't do it before, now when it'll extremely hurt our clients, you want to reduce their pay.

Simply allow contracts to be a percentage of the cap solves that issue. It's so simple, but the NFL won't do it during normal times and the Union won't agree to it when it directly hurts them right away.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
26 days ago
The problem witht he cap % is under normal circumstances the cap goes up "slowly" for a few years then a new TV contract hits and the cap jumps for a year or two then resumes it more normal uptick.

Players on the other hand breakout and want the money right now. They don't want to wait for the new deal to come down the road.

The well run organizations are going to be at 80-90% of the cap most of the time and are not going to be eager to fill in the cap with player demands.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : I mean, they traded for Willis after a year and a half of Clifford, seems pretty definitive
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : Do we with Clifford or Willis? You'd think Clifford has a better knowledge of the playbook
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Definitely filing that under the "I'm getting old" category
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Donald Drivers son Christian caught a TD pass playing for the University of Minnesota today.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers QB Jordan Love's initial timetable for return is in the 3-6 week range, per sources. And there's some early optimism he could return
Zero2Cool (8h) : Initial tests indicated Jordan Love’s ACL is intact. But there’s a wide range of outcomes based on additional scans, which will occur when t
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : QB Malik Willis will be the only backup tonight behind Jordan Love vs. the Eagles.
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : Packers gotta take shot on first series of game.
Martha Careful (6-Sep) : Amen...just squeezing more juice out of the orange.
dfosterf (6-Sep) : The Peacock streaming thing is irritating. So many sports bars don't have Peacock, but often the person answering the phone will say they do
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : So, today is game day??
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : what?
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : Well speaking of shooting themselves in the foot
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : INT might be the jolt they need
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : Ravens shooting themselves in the foot
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : Apple Pie. My favorite. Been a while
dfosterf (6-Sep) : Maybe pie still, but no whipped cream, ice cream or milk. Imstead, you get someone else's left over beer from yesterday to go with your pie
dfosterf (6-Sep) : Pie is good. You get no pie and fewer wins in fantasy due to being inflexible
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : I like pie.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Loved Gunnys. Never earned that particular rank. Neither did R Lee Armey from full metal jacket fame, but that is another story.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : He better be ready, willing, and able to kick everone's ass in a fight. My experience? They always are.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeants are some of the baddest men on this earth. I was never one of those, fyi
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Oh, no dout
wpr (5-Sep) : Gunny, like you I earned my stripes. I'm proud of em.
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Try helping the elderly and they disrespect ya all the way home.
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Ouch!!
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Improved your trade, Penguin.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Geezer smack talk. We have been reduced, lol
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Pot calling the kettle black
wpr (5-Sep) : Wild Cheesey. Just wild. Dfoster. put your teeth in dammit. You don't have to go through life gumming everything old man.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : am Gumby, dammit
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Trade offer up Batman. I
Cheesey (5-Sep) : I guess that makes me "The Joker!" LOL!
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Peter Schrager predicts Packers DE Rashan Gary will win NFL Defensive Player of the Year
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : I'm the Batman!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3-Sep / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.