Zero2Cool
12 days ago

GREEN BAY – It’s NFL draft night. Your cell phone rings. Brian Gutekunst is on the other end.

The Green Bay Packers general manager welcomes you to the team. In this moment, your lifelong dream has come true. There’s a jersey number that’s followed your path from youth football to high school, high school to college and now to professional football. As you’re passed along to coach Matt LaFleur, maybe your new position coach, the number that might define your legacy is forgotten.

Often, it’s the last thing players hear before the phone hangs up. An afterthought. Oh, by the way. Only in the rarest situation – mostly, a first-round pick – does a player get to actually pick their number with the Packers. But being a first-round pick doesn’t guarantee having an option.

“I didn’t get to pick my number,” 2021 first-round pick Eric Stokes said. “I was told I was wearing 21.”

Jordan Love, No. 10
How’d you get the number 10? “My dad wore number 10 when he was in high school. That was like a tribute to him. When I was younger, I started wearing 10. I think, like, sixth grade, seventh grade I started wearing 10, and it kind of just stuck with me. Definitely a tribute to my dad, he wore number 10.”

Malik Willis, No. 2
How did you get the number 2? "I didn't pick it. They just gave me 2."

What number would you choose to be? "I always had 7. Because that's how long it took God to make the world. I thought that was always cool, but Quay (Walker) had that. I was 14 at Auburn because 7 was retired, but that's two 7s. Two was my first number when I was in little league, like 6, 7 years old."

Romeo Doubs, No. 87
How did you get the number 87? “I definitely did not choose that number. That is a true story. Not Romeo. I did not get a phone call, what number I wanted. I found out through my number through InstaGram. My mom is a Packers fan. So it just came about scrolling through InstaGram, it was on her timeline. She said, ‘Yeah, son. You are the number 87.’ By then, I was a day away from going to rookie minicamp, so I wasn’t thinking about it too much. From that point forward, I didn’t say a word. I just got a number, and here I am in my third year.”

If not 87, what number would you pick? “Um, I thought 7 was available. That was my collegiate number. Obviously, Quay Walker is a first-round guy. He went to Georgia, just came from winning the natty. It was a no-brainer. He took the number, and here I am in 87. Same thing in college, I wore 4 in high school. Looking forward to wearing 4 in college. Got in there, and I saw it was a number 7. Even though it was the same mindset, I was like, ‘OK, it’s a new number. New beginnings. Let’s just put our best foot forward.’”

With your mom being a Packers fan, do you know the significance of a Packers receiver wearing 87? “Yes, absolutely. I think that was the question of the year for me when I first got in, knowing that Jordy (Nelson) was not just pretty good, but he was really good at the position. You know, just the questions of how I felt being in it, knowing who was behind the number 87, just the history of it. Just made sure I was grateful in that moment, and here I am now just still putting my best foot forward.”

Has Jordy Nelson ever mentioned the 87 to you? “He just wished me the best of luck throughout my journey. Obviously, making sure I make the right decisions.”

Christian Watson, No. 9
Where did you get the number 9? “I mean, really they gave me some options for numbers, and I thought that was the best one. To be honest, there wasn’t anything super significant about it. I just liked that number and thought I would make something out of it.”

Why pick that number? “It’s kind of personal preference, I guess. I think some of the options were like 9, 19, 18, and then a couple of the 80s numbers. I’ve been single digit. In high school I was No. 5, in college I was No. 1. So I definitely prefer the single digit. I’d say that was a big part of it.”

If not 9, what number would you pick? “I’m trying to think back to what was open at that time. Probably one of the teen numbers. If I could just choose a number, it would be No. 1. Either No. 1 or No. 5. Number 1 is retired, kind of. If I could choose any number, it would be No. 1.”

Why No. 1? “In high school for us, No. 1 was given to kind of that guy on the squad. Number 1 always signified that guy on the team. So when I got to college and they let me wear No. 1, my mentality when I got that number was, all right. I’m No. 1. I’m that guy on the squad.”

Jayden Reed, No. 11
How did you get No. 11? “Really, draft night, I just asked what was available. I wore No. 1 in college. I wore it in youth football a little bit. They asked me if I wanted to wear 1 again. I said, ‘Yeah.’ So I chose 1. I got a call the next day, and they said it wasn’t available. So I just took 11.”

Dontayvion Wicks, No. 13
How did you get the lucky number 13? "When I got drafted, they called me and told me I was 13. I stuck with it, because college I was 3. It had that 3 in it. They told me 13, but 13 is a good number. Three is my favorite number, it had 3 in it. So I couldn't beat it. That's a good number to start off with."

What's the personal significance of 3 for you? "That's just been what I've been coming up with. That's always the number I wanted to pick, wanted to have. And it also stands for good luck. That's the biggest thing."

No superstitions about the number 13? "Man, it's a good-luck number. Got that 3 in it. One, three. I feel like it's a great number. It's a good, lucky number. Low digit. You can't beat 13. Receivers are either low numbers or 80s, so 13 with the Packers is a good number."

Malik Heath, No. 18
How did you get the number 18? “I don’t know. I just got it. They just gave it to me when I got here. I guess because I wore No. 8 in college, and they just put the 1 in front of it.”

If you could be any number you wanted to be, what number? “Uh, 8. I wore it when I was a quarterback in middle school, and it just stuck with me.”

Luke Musgrave, No. 88
How did you get the number 88? “I was 8 in high school. So I was like, ‘Might as well double it in college.’ There’s nothing (personally significant). It was the smallest jersey I could get in high school.”

If not 88, what number would you choose to be? “I don’t know. I just like the way it looks. It’s cool. It’s a good number. I like that it’s symmetrical.”

Tucker Kraft, No. 85
How did you get 85 as your number? “College. My number in high school was 1. I was a running back and a quarterback. So my first number in the 80s was 85. I just ran with it. Now there is (a personal significance). It’s me. I’ve always been 85, I guess.”

Ben Sims, No. 89
How did you get the number 89? "I got here, and it was in my locker. First time I walked into the locker room (after being claimed off waivers last year from the Minnesota Vikings), it was just there, 89.

If not 89, what number would you be? "86. That was given to me my sophomore year of high school when I made varsity. Similar deal, they just handed me the jersey to wear it, and that was cool with me. I wore it all through high school. I was able to, after my freshman year at Baylor, I wore 86 up until my senior year. I wore 8. That was kind of a thing we did within the locker room, single digits. Kind of if you embodied what our program was all about, and if you're a leader, if you're a captain, the single digit comes with it. I did that my senior year of college. I think I look a little slimmer in 86."

You're pretty close to 86 with that 89? "I know. That's how I justify it in my mind, is that it's just a 6 upside down."

MarShawn Lloyd, No. 32
How did you get 32 as your jersey number? “I didn’t really have a choice. It was given to me. I’ve actually asked to change my number, but I can’t. I guess the quarterbacks and receivers, the number is for the kickers, quarterbacks and receivers. So I’m fine with it. I’m cool with the number, 32 is what it is, and it’s what it’s going to be. Number doesn’t really matter much to me. I was 32 in my freshman year of high school. So I’ve been that before in high school. For a year, I was 32 for my freshman year. And for my rookie year, I’m 32 again.”

If no 32, what number would you be? “Honestly, I don’t know. I didn’t ask for anything. I’ve been different numbers in college, but this place is very traditional. That’s something I’ve noticed. So now it’s just whatever. When I got drafted, they said, ‘You’re 32.’ I was like, ‘All right.’ That’s it. It doesn’t matter. You’re in the NFL.”

Rasheed Walker, No. 63
How did you get number 63? “Actually, I was 53 in college. So I got drafted. They called me right after I got drafted and was like, ‘We’re going to have you report in two weeks. And, also, 53 isn’t available, so you’re going to be wearing 63.’”

What was the personal significance to 53? “I wore 53 in high school, too. It was just, when I was a freshman, I was on varsity. I think I had number 68 or something. There was a senior who had 53. I said, ‘When he leaves, I’m going to get 53.’ I just stuck with it. Then in college, I stuck with it, too.”

If you could be any number now, which number? “I like 63. It’s grown on me. I like it because at first I didn’t like 60 numbers, but then I felt like NFL, it’s just different. I even got a tattoo. It’s my first NFL number. Pretty cool. Really, at first I wanted to be a D-lineman. So I just felt like that wasn’t really a swaggy number for a D-lineman. So like 53, 55 would’ve been cool.”

Elgton Jenkins, No. 74
Where did you get the number 74? “I got it in middle school. Once I got to college, I had 73 for a year, my redshirt year. Then they gave me 74. I got here, and they gave it to me. I’ve been having it since middle school. I’m pretty sure they probably knew that, knew I wanted to keep it.”

Any personal significance to number 74? “At first I wanted 50-something. I went to the bathroom in middle school – I remember it like it was yesterday – while they were handing out numbers. I went to the bathroom, somebody got it. I got 74. At first, I didn’t want it. Then I was like, I’m going to make a name out of it. And here we are.”

Josh Myers, No. 71
How did you get the number 71? “That was my dad’s number. He wore it in college. I think maybe in high school, too, but definitely in college. In college, I requested it because my normal number was taken. My number at the time was 58, and I requested it in college my freshman year. I’ve had it since then. Then on draft night when they called, I can barely remember it because of all the craziness, but on the phone at the end, they were like, ‘Hey, are you good to stay at 71?’ I was like, ‘Yeah, sure. That works.’ I, like, barely even remembered it, and they posted it as 71.”

Jordan Morgan, No. 77
How did you get the number 77? "They just gave it to me in college. I had a few numbers in high school. I had 71, 75, 73, and then I got to college, and it was 77. It really fit me, so I stuck with it. Everybody always says 7s are lucky. Double 7s. I mean, you can't get triple 7s on a jersey. But a double 7 for sure."

So that's the number you would've picked in the NFL? "Oh yeah. For sure. For as long as I could."

Sean Rhyan, No. 75
How did you get the number 75? “They gave it to me. I never really had an attachment to any number. The first number I ever had was 14, but that doesn’t work in football at my position anymore. That was in baseball. I’d have to report eligible every single time. I was just given 75 when I got drafted, and I figured that could be a pretty good number.”

If you could be any number, which number? “Shoot, probably 27. My pops wore that when he was young. So I’d probably wear 27.”

What did you wear before here? “I was 74. I was 74 in college and 64 in high school. Before I was 64, I was 76. My first year playing football, I was 76. I don’t really have an attachment to a number besides the one I told you. That’s just for my pops. I wore 27 playing baseball. Fourteen, 27, those are the only two numbers I can remember. Maybe 8? I wore 8 in rugby. Other than that, No. 27 would be the only number I’d want to wear.”

Zach Tom, No. 50
How did you get the number 50? “It really isn’t anything special. I just chose it in college. Now I’m just kind of sticking with it. They just gave it to me because I wore it in college. When I was in college, they had me at center. So I felt like 50 was a good number for a center. And now I got moved to tackle, and I just stuck with it. I swear to God, there’s really nothing special about it. It’s just what happened. Now, it’s part of who I am.”

Kenny Clark, No. 97
How did you get the number 97? “In high school, I wore 79. I was an offensive lineman. When I got to college, I flipped it around. I just made it 97. Then one of my favorite players growing up was Geno Atkins. He was a dog as a three-tech. So growing up in college, high school, Geno Atkins was one of my favorite players. So I wanted to wear 97. I had the luxury of picking my number. In college, that was my main thing, Geno being my favorite player. The 97, that’s it. I feel like there’s been a lot of great defensive linemen who have worn that number.”

Devonte Wyatt, No. 95
How'd you get the number 95? "I got it from JuCo. That was one of the numbers, and I liked 95. So I just went 95. I could've gotten any number, but 95 was the number. It was just a lucky number for me. Ever since I got that number, I've just been good at football. So that's the theory I go by. It grew on me."

If you could be any number you wanted, what number would you be? "I would be No. 17. That was my high school number, when I was a running back. I would be 17 again. That's the only number that would fit at that time. It was the biggest number. The smaller numbers were for smaller people. I was a big-ass running back. I couldn't wear 1. I was too big."

Karl Brooks, No. 94
How did you get 94 as your number? “When they drafted me, they said, ‘We’ve got 94 ready.’ I said, ‘Cool.’ That was it. I didn’t go no (expletives). Just give me a number. I didn’t even care.”

What number would you be if you could pick any number? “Any number, 94. I feel like it grew on me.”

What number were you before? “I was 11 in college. It was (sleek). It didn’t make me look faster. I was faster. But I’d still choose 94. I feel like that’s the number I started with, and I want to finish with it.”

T.J. Slaton, No. 93
How did you get the number 93? “That (expletive) was given. For real. I answered their phone call, and they said, ’93.’ I said, ‘Damn.’"

Rashan Gary, No. 52
How did you get the number 52? "I forget the numbers that they gave me. Like, 96, 52, might've been another − 98. Something like that. Then they had 52. I was just thinking, sitting there. I'm like, 'Damn. What number? Five minus two gives me three. Make it 52.'"

If you could pick any number, would it be 3? "If I would've came in, because it changed when I got here, but for sure if it wasn't one of our retired numbers, I for sure would want to be in 3. I'm born on December 3, and three is my mom's favorite number. So it all ties together."

Did you know when you picked 52 that you'd have a chance to carry on the tradition of that number after Clay Matthews? "Yeah, Clay Matthews is a player I looked up to. Especially with him rushing off the edge, and his ability play middle linebacker, switch in the middle of the season. I know his story. So when I got 52, I picked it because 5 minus 2. But as I got it, I got to learn what 52 was and what he meant to Green Bay, and that he's an impact player. I keep watching that play he made in the Super Bowl, forcing that fumble. A big-time play. I think about things like that. Wearing that number, it inspires me to go out there and make big-time plays. It's a legacy, everybody that wears this G. Just knowing I have the 52 and the guy before, how much he was an impact, team leader, I just strive to do the same."

Has Clay Matthews ever reached out to you about the 52? "Not yet, but he still has time to have that conversation. That's something, I want to pick his brain. How to be a better leader. How he sees things fast. What was it playing like. So it's things like that, but we're going to get the conversation done."

Preston Smith, No. 91
How'd you get the number 91? "In college, I didn't have no choice. They just gave me No. 91. I wore No. 12 in high school my senior year. So getting into college, they told me I wasn't going to wear No. 12 on the recruiting visit. (Former Mississippi State coach) Dan Mullen told me that. When he got there, all the D-linemen had 90s numbers. All the numbers through the 90s, and I guess some guys had 40s and some other numbers. They just gave me No. 91, and I kept it. I felt like it looked good on me. From my freshman year to now, I've made plays wearing No. 91. When I got to Washington, Ryan Kerrigan wore No. 91. And he was already on his fifth year when I got there, I believe. I wasn't going to pay for 91. I come into the league, and new money, and probably the price he's going to ask, because he already had been established the No. 91 for there.

"It's a great story, Ryan Kerrigan wore No. 94 in college. So I think when he got there, somebody told him a crazy number, and he's like, 'I'm not paying for that.' He got 91 and just rolled with it. When I came here, I think I asked for No. 94, because I just wanted to keep the same number. Dean (Lowry) had it for the longest time. I was like, 'Nah, let him keep his number.' I asked if 91 was available when they asked me what number I wanted to pick. They told me somebody had 91, but they gave it to me. Whenever I talked to them, I'd get it, or whatever happened. It ended up working out for me, getting 91. I kind of, if it wasn't 94, I wanted to get back to the number I made in college. Because I feel like I made a lot of plays in college, because I felt like I made a lot of great plays in college, and I did a lot of big, exciting things. I felt like once I put that number back on, I could return to being that exciting player."

Was there any personal significance to number 12 in high school for you? "No, I just didn't want an ugly number. I wanted the closest number to a single digit. All the other skill people, they had single-digit numbers. At my school, I wasn't the highest-recruited player, I wasn't the biggest star on the team. So they're not going to just give me a single-digit number."

Kingsley Enagbare, No. 55
How did you get the number 55? "You'd have to ask the coaches that. I wasn't a high enough pick for the luxury of choosing your number. I didn't know until I got up here. I guess they made an InstaGram post or something before. It's just a number."

If you could be any number, what would it be? "52. That's just been my number since high school. Nothing significant."

Quay Walker, No. 7
How’d you get the number 7? “I ended up getting it at UGA my senior year. Honestly, it’s a whole lot to come behind that. I think it has a lot to do with Christ as well. There’s a whole lot that comes with it, just with belief. I just think it fits me real, real perfect. I didn’t think I was going to get it when I got to the league. I know they made the number change, but I actually was just given it. They just asked what number I wanted, and before I could even say something, they were like, ‘We’ve got 7 for you.’ I’ve been keeping it ever since. It means a whole lot for me.”

Enjoy being a linebacker wearing a single-digit number? “I know it was new here, but we in a new era here now, man. We’ve got to get used to it. Things changing, everything is new now.”

Isaiah McDuffie, No. 58
How did you get the number 58? "They just gave it to me. I was 55 in college, but I think Za'Darius (Smith) had it when I was here my rookie year. So they gave me 58."

Any personal significance to 55? "I just always liked the number, and I wore it in college. So I grew attached to it, I guess."

Edgerrin Cooper, No. 56
How’d you get number 56? “I had two jersey number options. It just came to me. Either this or 59. I just went with that one.”

If not 56, what number would you be? “Either 45 or a single-digit number. My brother had (45) in college, and I ended up getting it my freshman year, and I just stuck with it.”

Eric Stokes, No. 21
Where did you get the number 21? “I have no idea. They just gave it to me on draft night. So when I answered the call, that was one of the first things they told me. ‘Hey, this is the Green Bay Packers. You will be wearing No. 21.’ I remember that vividly.”

What number would you be if not 21? “Either 22 or 24. No reason. I mean, my auntie wore 22 in college for basketball. I always liked the deuce, deuce even though I ain’t never wore it. So it would be either 22 or 24 for a corner, because I was never a corner before I got to UGA. I was always a running back.”

Has 21 grown on you? “I still want to eventually change to 22.”

Why haven’t you changed? “Once I locked in with 21, I became locked in with 21. But eventually I know I’m going to get out of that. I’m going to get out of 21. It’s mostly different reasons for why. Even when I was at UGA, every time I got a new number – I started off with 41 my freshman year – and then I ended up going to 27 right after (Nick) Chubb left. So that number was what everybody thinks for Chubb. Then when I came here, 21. Every time I look around, I think it’s probably my jersey. It’s either (Charles) Wooden or Ha Ha (Clinton-Dix). I want to have a number where I can leave my own type of legacy, where if I see that jersey, I know it’s mine.”

Carrington Valentine, No. 24
Why did you change your number from 37 to 24? "New year, new me. It was just time for a new start. I tried to leave the past in the past, and just focus on the present. Let's try something new."

Any personal significance to 24? "I wore 14 in college. It's the closest thing you can get to 14. No, I'm playing. I always, my thing was if I couldn't wear 14, my next number choice was always going to be 24. And Kobe wore it. That's another thing. Kobe is my GOAT."

Xavier McKinney, No. 29
How’d you get the number 29? “I didn’t have a lot of choices when I got to New York. I think I had, like, three choices. It might’ve been 28, 29, 30 and 31. That was what I thought was the best number at the time. It was the number I felt comfortable with. It was almost like the number was calling me. Because I’ve had other choices, and I’ve never wore any of those numbers before. I felt like 29 was just calling my name, and I took it. It’s funny, because I think later in that camp, somebody had 23 and got cut. So originally that’s what I wanted, was 23. Somebody had it. So I had 29, they got cut. I was going to switch it, but I felt good in it. I felt like a lot of people were talking about getting my jersey, so I didn’t want to change it up on fans. So I just stayed with it.”

If not 29, what number would you be? “It would’ve been 23, but now 29. I love the number. I’m going to play with it my entire career. I’m going to keep that. I have no ties to 29. Never wore it before. Never had anybody that I was close to wear it. It’s just one of those things where it looked like it was calling my name, I felt it. When I put it on, I said, ‘OK, I’m comfortable in this.’ It just went from there.”

Javon Bullard, No. 20
How did you get the number 20? “That was the number they gave to me. They just gave me 20.”

If not 20, what number would you pick? “In the league, I’d pick 0. I just always, I mean everybody wants a single digit, but a lot comes with a single digit. I want to rep a single digit for sure.”

What number were you before the NFL? “Twenty-two. I ain’t going to lie, 22 actually kind of stuck though. I actually thought about changing my number when Quay left Georgia. I thought about changing my number to 7, but it was like 22, that was me. It kind of fit.”

Evan Williams, No. 33
How did you get No. 33? “I honestly wanted 32. My dad was number 32. He played all his college years, and I think even in the league he was number 32 for a little bit. Yeah, I wanted to be 32. I was 32 at Fresno (State). I wanted to be 32 at Oregon as well. I just got 33 at Oregon, and it kind of stuck. You get a number, I’ve always believed in you make the number, not the number dictates who you are. I remember when I was in Pop Warner, one of my fondest memories, I lost my 32 jersey and I had to wear 72. So I’m at running back wearing 72, dusting everybody. They’re like, ‘What the?’ I had to be a Mike Alstott-type back, for sure. Coming in here, I definitely wanted something around 32. MarShawn was able to get 32, and I thought, ‘Might as well keep the 33 train rolling.’ Definitely I know there’s a lot of history with that number. Just trying to do my best to pay respects to just the history behind it and carry on that tradition of success and hard work.”

If not 33, which number would you pick? “It probably would’ve been 32. Yeah, MarShawn was able to get it. I’m not going to fight a guy for that number, especially my first year. So I kind of just went with the flow, got 33 and trying to make the most of it.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/09/03/we-asked-32-green-bay-packers-how-they-got-their-jersey-numbers/74999801007/ 

Ryan Wood wrote:

This was pretty neat. It seems Packers don't allow much wiggle room when it comes to picking a number.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 days ago
Interesting. I'll have to finish it when I have time.

The one I noticed that made me wonder is if the person who posted this thread knows how to clean up and delete the excess comments from the article.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 days ago

Interesting. I'll have to finish it when I have time.

The one I noticed that made me wonder is if the person who posted this thread knows how to clean up and delete the excess comments from the article.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That individual happens to have meetings at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 2:30pm and each one is scheduled for 45 minutes to an hour. So his two brain cells are elsewhere. 😜
UserPostedImage