Martha Careful
9 days ago
There is plenty of blame to fo around. but to try and keep an in perspective, if had we taken advantage of the turnovers in the first half we probably would've won the game.

From the top:
Gutey has not provided a strong OLine, adequate linebacking, nor a backup QB
MLF - some creative play calls, but disorganization cause 3 Timeouts in the first half. Over a dozen penalties if my count was correct is a poor reflection on the mental discipline which is from the coach down.

Offense -
Love was just okay. He missed guys regularly especially early when we could've put the game away...not a 25mm level performance. Some really bad reads, throws, and decisions.
OLine - Tom and Jenkins good. Myers so-so, LT inadequate , Rhyan rotated out with Morgan seeming to get most of the second half reps. Morgan needs to get stronger... Forget about his arm length. I want more arm hip thigh and back strength. we are not a championship or division champion caliber offensive line.
RBs - good. I bet Jacobs wishes he signed with Philadelphia. there were very few holes especially in the first half.
Wide Receivers - other than Reed, pedestrian. Drops, slips, and lazy patterns.
TE - Kraft was outstanding. Musgrave a no-show.

DEFENSE
Ts - other than the stupid penalty on Clark in the second half, I thought the defensive tackle play was pretty good. They were constantly double teamed by a great offensive line in generally held the line pretty well.
Edge - Meh, Gary's one Sack was when Lance Johnson thought the play had been blown dead. Preston Smith was solid. Lucas Van Ness is a complete waste of a draft pick. He has done nothing and looks like he can simply run into the blocker ahead of him.
LB - abysmal. Constantly filling the wrong holes, passing off guys in combination defenses when they shouldn't have been passed off. An Inability to discern who they are covering quickly enough.
DB - Despite the interception. Alexander's play was extremely disappointing in my estimation. McKinney was good and they stayed away from him all night. Perhaps he was playing over the top of Stokes but I don't recall many balls being thrown in Stokes direction.

Considering this is the first game with the system against the strong opponent I suppose we should've expected some of them blown coverages and bad gap fills but it was painful to watch regardless… But predictable given the new defense.

But back to the major point, if Love is down, the season is over and that is essentially on Gutey.

Go Packers!!!!
go.pack.go.
9 days ago
We need to remember this is week 1 and these guys haven’t played real football in 9 months. I don’t hit the panic button yet, the defense is brand new and will take some time to gel together.

I do, however, hit the panic button if Love’s injury is serious.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
9 days ago
Zach Kruse Wrote

Packers too sloppy and mistake-prone to beat Eagles in opener

September 7, 2024 7:15 am CT

You could hear it in Matt LaFleur’s voice during his post-game press conference: The Green Bay Packers had a terrific opportunity to beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the season opener in Brazil but were too sloppy and mistake-prone to get it done Friday night at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.

“Obviously, very disappointed. There was a lot of opportunities out there to win the game,” LaFleur said.

The Packers struggled in the red zone, committed 10 penalties, had issues getting in sync in the passing game, missed tackles defensively and missed a field goal in a harrowing 34-29 defeat to open the season.

“There’s a lot to clean up. Definitely a sloppy game from us,” LaFleur said. “There was some uncharacteristic things that we did as a staff, quite frankly, and that trickled down to our players. Ultimately, we all got to look hard at ourselves in the mirror and find ways to get better because tonight wasn’t good enough.”

The Packers led 6-0 after the first quarter and 19-17 at halftime, but the Eagles started fast in the second half and eventually took control.

LaFleur was especially disappointed in the points scored off turnovers (nine points off three takeaways), the lack of production in the red area (1-for-4 scoring touchdowns), the lack of disruption from the pass rush (two sacks, five quarterback hits) and some blown run fits against Saquon Barkley.

LaFleur said teams typically win around 90 percent of games when winning the turnover battle by two or more. The Packers forced three and only had one giveaway. But Green Bay turned two takeaways inside Philadelphia’s 20-yard line into just six points, and LaFleur said the offense got “destroyed” in the red zone. Penalties helped to kill back-to-back red zone chances after the first-quarter takeaways and were crucial to extending a late Eagles drive.

“I think it’s a collective loss. All of us are responsible,” LaFleur said. “Myself, it starts with me, it goes down to the staff and then to our players. I challenged everybody. We’ve got to learn from this. Just watching the tape, and I’m not trying to take anything away from Philly, they battled and they played their game, but there was a lot of opportunities that we didn’t capitalize on, and when you don’t do that, you get beat.”

LaFleur said Week 1 is typically unpredictable but he called the performance a “slop fest.” The Packers didn’t play starters during the preseason.

Overall, the offensive line struggled, Jordan Love had trouble with footing and never looked in sync as a passer, receivers had drops and slipped all over the field, the defense struggled to pressure Jalen Hurts, missed run fits and missed tackles. Rookie kicker Brayden Narveson missed a 43-yard field goal in the second half.

In the end, an opportunity to snag a statement win to open the season in Brazil slipped right through the Packers’ fingers.

The icing on top of the cake was Love’s injury on the third-to-last play. LaFleur had no immediate update on the severity of the injury. The Packers will await additional testing when they get back to Green Bay on Saturday.

Go Packers!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 days ago
While MLF called a decent game, the total lack of preparedness is on him. The team needs more reps in the preseason. 1/ or 3/4 walk toughs in camp even with other teams doesn't cut it. The first team needs to play 1 quarter, 1 half twice in the 3 preseason games. If someone gets injured that's football. It's going to happen.

They faded in the 4th quarter because they were not ready to play a full game. I realize the Eagles didn't play their starters in the preseason very much either. I don't care. I only care that GB does whatever it takes to be game day ready for week 1.

Ja's taking the ball out of the end zone was a horrendous, selfish decision. It cost them 6 or 7 yards of field position. I realize he was wanting to get the big return and maybe a Pick 6 but when he ran back and forth in the end zone and didn't have the clear path he should have been a professional, realized that he tried but it wasn't there and taken a knee.

Slipping because of bad cleats is unforgivable. Even the rookies should know what to do. It's a night game. The field is going to be different than it will be at noon or 3 PM. I am not sure what the altitude of the stadium is. The section of Sao Paulo is around 2500 feet above seas level. There are very few major cities in the US that high. Denver of course. El Paso TX and Albuquerque are both over 4000 feet. The closest would be Tucson which sits between 2250 and 2950. They should have had someone in the back pocket of the head groundskeeper asking about the evening conditions of the field. They should have had someone go out on to the field every night and see for themselves. I realize they more than likely were watering it every night. But check the conditions around the stadium as well. Do they get a cloud inversion or something off the oceans in the evenings. They should have known before kick off what to do.

UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
9 days ago
Sloppy game by the Packers. Refs had bad calls for both sides.

My biggest worry about Love right now is his consistency with both accuracy and velocity. Some balls just seem to float too long. That missed pass in the 3rd quarter was painful. I think it was to Reed? I give him credit that he is identifying the open receiver in alot of cases though.

Both our O and D lines were getting manhandled like little children. This can be graded on a curve given the Eagles are top 5 in both categories but was still frustrating to see. I liked the run/pass balance but why did they keep challenging the run up the middle where they obviously were getting destroyed every time???

Also the time out virus continues.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
bboystyle
9 days ago
Cons:
its safe to say, win or lose, Love injured or not, we are not a SB ready team. We still cant stop the run and our D still cant play stout enough to win a championship

Offense doesnt surprise me. It takes time to gel on offense and we all know MLF has his guys come out rusty.

Kicker missing 40 yarders is unacceptable. Perfect snap and hold. No excuse

The field we played on IS NOT the same as ours despite the reports. The field condition seemed like it snowed prior to kick off.

Flags, flags and more flags! Why is this an issue with this team?

Wicks and Dobbs with key drops (especially Wicks)

Love needs to learn how to throw with velocity when needed and when to float one when needed. It's like he's developed a bad habit to throw off his back foot all the time even when he doesnt need to.

O-line is bad in run blocking and avg in pass blocking. Granted, it was against a top D-line but if u wanna win it all, they need to win those battles in the trenches.

Pros:
Despite the horrible field and game, we did manage to only lose by 5 to a good team and we did manage to put up 29 points despite the offense being mainly Reed and Jacobs.

Its week one, keep calm cool and collective. We can FULLY evaluate this team by week 6 to know where we stand.

Jayden Reed is out best WR. I felt this way last year and im sticking to it this year. He is our big play guy, not Watson.

Josh Jacobs, started off slow but then picked it up. Ran for 84 yards and avg 5.2 ypc. Would of hit 100+ if we didnt have to play catch up all 4th quarter

Wilson, im glad he is getting his touches. he avg over 11 yards per carry even though he was limited!

thats about all I have. Season rides on the severity of Love's injury...

Zero2Cool
9 days ago
2010 was not the norm, but pretty sure no one thought that team was Championship bound after Week 1, or even the first quarter of games.

We know nothing.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
8 days ago

2010 was not the norm, but pretty sure no one thought that team was Championship bound after Week 1, or even the first quarter of games.

We know nothing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

we didnt lose our starting QB or allow 34 points in week 1. I agree, its early to tell but this team is farrrr from being close to the 2010 team, especially on defense. I felt good after our week 1 win vs Philly in 2010 (ironic we played them). It was our first win in Philly since the 60s. I wouldnt mind if we lose a low scoring one and the defense showed flashes of being great but that isnt the case. Our D got ran through and couldnt make stops for the most part. We need them now to step up while we play QB carousel the next few weeks.

again, this isnt doom and gloom but just an honest observation of what we saw so far. it could get better or it could get worse.
buckeyepackfan
8 days ago

We know nothing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree, nobody can determine anything after week1, any team.
The only thing The Packers learned is they have to roll with a backup qb for the next 3-6 weeks.
Playing out of The Country sure hasn't been good for The Packers.
Rodgers injures his thumb 2 years ago, now this.
I hope The NFL takes note and send their people to check on field conditions. Little ridiculous Friday night.
So much for player safety.
I expect The Packers to rally around whoever starts, and we will be seeing a whole lot of Jacobs and Wilson. Matt LaFleur has never list a Home Opener, I think he keeps that streak alive.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Mucky Tundra
8 days ago

Cons:

Love needs to learn how to throw with velocity when needed and when to float one when needed. It's like he's developed a bad habit to throw off his back foot all the time even when he doesnt need to.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

This is something I noticed when watching videos and clips from last year that Love was throwing off his back foot a lot. It probably wasn't helped by the field conditions making him reluctant to step and plant into the slippery turf.

Pros:
Josh Jacobs, started off slow but then picked it up. Ran for 84 yards and avg 5.2 ypc. Would of hit 100+ if we didnt have to play catch up all 4th quarter

Wilson, im glad he is getting his touches. he avg over 11 yards per carry even though he was limited!

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Yards might be difficult with Love out for Jacobs but when Love is healthy Jacobs looks like he'll be the bruising power back going up vs favorable light fronts.

Agreed on Wilson. I hope performing well gives MLF more trust in him going forward.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (31m) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (15h) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (17h) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (22h) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (22h) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (22h) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (22h) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (22h) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (22h) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (22h) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (22h) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (22h) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (22h) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (23h) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Muwahahahah
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : I'll ride Jordan Love > Brock Purdy all day!
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Packers TE that you all say is being phased out lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Upper tier QB???
dhazer (12-Sep) : backup RB
dhazer (12-Sep) : and he rejects it because I rejected his trade of the 49ers backup B for Mcaffery lol
dhazer (12-Sep) : I try helping out Kevin and trading him an upper teir QB so he has a starter and even gave him a Packer TE for a backup TE Purdy for Love
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : MLF says “Love’s injury is more day to day than anything”
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : Zero, regarding Eli scouting Rodgers, that's the joke. Rodgers only played 4 snaps so it would take Eli 5 minutes to scout him
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Jordan Love not seen at practice today.
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : De’Von Achane practiced today in what appeared to be a lighter walkthrough session.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.