Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Giants 23, Packers 20: Ten Cold, Hard Football Facts

Really Cold, Hard Football Facts for January 21, 2008

The Giants are heading to the Super Bowl, dashing the cheesy dreams of Green Bay fans everywhere with another episode of "Everybody Loves Eli."

Here are 10 Cold, Hard Football Facts culled from New York's improbable 23-20 win over the Packers Sunday at frigid Lambeau Field.

1. The Cold, Hard Football Facts couldn't have been more wrong about the 2007 Giants. Three playoff games now, weve picked the Giants to lose in lopsided fashion not out of any dislike for Big Blue, but because their regular-season numbers told us they would. And theyve made us look dumber than a monkey, literally. Our Bonzo the Idiot Monkey, the amazing coin-flipping prognosticator, correctly picked the Giants in all three games and now he wont let us hear the end of it. New York had a below average passing game and secondary in the regular season, and were clueless against Quality Teams (1-5). Yet here they are in the Super Bowl, defying all the odds. Congrats ... but don't expect us to change our tune much when its time to break down the Super Bowl.

2. Brett Favres fourth quarter was one of his (or anyones) worst ever. In a tight game, the Packers last four drives went 0, 7, 0 and 2 yards. From the start of the fourth quarter (an INT), Favre was 2-for-8 for 5 yards with two INTs. More than a third of Favres 236 yards came on the second-quarter 90-yard catch-and-run by Donald Driver, and he threw two INTs to Eli Mannings zero in a situation where you would expect the cagey veteran to play well under pressure and the newbie to fold like a girl at the laundromat. Favre threw nine picks in his final seven games dating back to the regular-season loss at Dallas, and if he comes back for another season it'll be to right the wrongs of a disappointing finish.

3. New Yorks offensive line came up huge. Any time you control the clock for 40:01 in a game this big, the offensive line should expect to see shiny new Mercedes Benzes in the parking lot courtesy of the skill players. The Giants didnt have big numbers in yards per carry (3.4) or third downs (6-for-16), but they were much better than Green Bays offense in both categories. And allowing just two Negative Pass Plays in Eli Mannings 42 dropbacks is a remarkable number.

4. Green Bay's luck finally ran out. The Packers were an excellent team this year, solid across the board, but they have also been a fortunate one. They played a favorable schedule (four Quality Opponents) and had almost no injuries. They also got two home games in the postseason despite being the No. 2 seed, both in classic Green Bay conditions foreign to the visitor. Even in Sundays game, fortune was smiling as New York kicker Lawrence Tynes missed two fairly easy FGs, including a potential game-winning 36-yard attempt at the end of regulation. But in OT, Green Bay's luck hit a snag when Tynes became the first visiting kicker EVER to hit one from 40+ at Lambeau in the playoffs.

5. The Giants got lucky, too. Five times, New York fumbled the ball, and only once did it wind up in Green Bays hands R.W. McQuarters interception return was popped into the arms of Packers tackle Mark Tauscher, making a huge turnover moot. But the other four either wound up out of bounds or in white-and-red arms, a good ratio to be sure.

6. The running games were oddly silent. Packers fans will certainly criticize Mike McCarthy for just 13 run calls among 49 offensive plays, but neither team could get the running game going. The longest run all game was 13 yards, by Green Bays Ryan Grant, and between them the two teams' RBs ran 50 times for 159 yards (3.2 YPA). In the divisional round, the Packers and Giants combined for 55 carries and 323 yards (5.9 YPA).

7. Green Bay won the battle, but lost the war. Packer tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, who allowed just 10 sacks all year, were perfect against the Giants speed rushers no sacks for the G-Men. But Green Bay couldnt run the ball, and Favre couldnt do much with all that solid protection 1 for 10 on third downs is a fairly sure recipe for defeat, and it was actually somewhat amazing that the Packers were even able to push the game to overtime.

8. Jeff Feagles brings more individual records than the 2007 Patriots into his first Super Bowl. The Giants punter hasnt missed a game in 20 seasons really since breaking in with the Patriots in 1988. He holds the record for consecutive games (320) along with a load of aggregate career punting records. Of course, Feagles isnt that great a punter (gross of 40.4, net of 36.0 in 2007), but no ones waited longer for their first Super Bowl trip.

9. Eli Manning is putting together one of the great unexpected runs of all time. To win three straight road games in the playoffs is a once-in-a-decade type of thing (three times since 1985). To win three straight road games in the playoffs without throwing an INT, as Manning has done, is also a rarity. But to do it without any track record that suggests its even possible, is off the charts. Sunday in Green Bay, Manning overcame the curse of the 10-6 team, and his own inability to string together good games, and all we can do is admire the suddenly all grown up Eli.

10. Giants TE Jeremy Shockey must feel like crap. First, Giants team policy is that injured players dont travel with the team. So, Shockey, who was hurt with two weeks to go in the season, hasnt been on the sidelines for the regular-season finale against the Patriots or the three playoff wins. Worse, the Giants look like a different (better) team without him, with rookie fifth-round pick Kevin Boss staying into block more and the New York wide receivers stepping up their efforts. At least Shockey's got his millions of dollars to console him, while Packers fans just have cheese.

It's interesting reading this again a couple of year later.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
You had to post this? You HAD to post this? Nothing like reopening wounds that still haven't completely healed.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I'm a habitual websurfer. I never know where my perambulations through random hyperlinks will take me. I ended up on this article. 😉
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago

I'm a habitual websurfer. I never know where my perambulations through random hyperlinks will take me. I ended up on this article. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Perambulations? I keep a dictionary by every computer I use just because of you special boy. Just curious, did you get ass kicked regularly as a kid? Its all good Non. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I'm a habitual websurfer. I never know where my perambulations through random hyperlinks will take me. I ended up on this article. ;)

"DakotaT" wrote:

Perambulations? I keep a dictionary by every computer I use just because of you special boy. Just curious, did you get ass kicked regularly as a kid? Its all good Non. :icon_smile:

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Here's a tip from I've learned through experience.
Use a tab capable browser.
Have one tab set to Dictionary.com

Makes life easier.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"DakotaT" wrote:

Here's a tip from I've learned through experience.
Use a tab capable browser.
Have one tab set to Dictionary.com

Makes life easier.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

...and one set to www.zombo.com. Check it out.
Tezzy
13 years ago
"The unattainable is unknown at zombocom"
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Rockmolder
13 years ago
http://www.sieni.us/?id=14 

This thread is great.
djcubez
13 years ago

Brett Favres fourth quarter was one of his (or anyones) worst ever. In a tight game, the Packers last four drives went 0, 7, 0 and 2 yards. From the start of the fourth quarter (an INT), Favre was 2-for-8 for 5 yards with two INTs. More than a third of Favres 236 yards came on the second-quarter 90-yard catch-and-run by Donald Driver, and he threw two INTs to Eli Mannings zero in a situation where you would expect the cagey veteran to play well under pressure and the newbie to fold like a girl at the laundromat. Favre threw nine picks in his final seven games dating back to the regular-season loss at Dallas, and if he comes back for another season it'll be to right the wrongs of a disappointing finish.

Sooo anyone think that this kind of had to do with the ushering out of Favre? We've heard about how Chilly gets mad over in Minnesota because Favre audibles out of a lot of his play calls. What if, on these four drives, Favre was calling his own plays and pissing off McCarthy to no end?

I figured if it was a throwback article I'd pick a throwback discussion point.
djcubez
13 years ago

http://www.sieni.us/?id=14

This thread is great.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I watched that far longer than anyone should.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.