DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
So the consensus in here is that we have enough talent and there aren't enough footballs to go around. Well guys, that's the kind of thinking that keeps us in the first round of the playoffs instead of going to the Super Bowl. You put Marshall on the field with Jennings and you make defensive coordinators have ulcers. Make our receiver corp elite, not just in the conversation with the top 3.

Donald Driver has been a great Packer, one of the best. But if you don't recognize he is declining than you're watching with homer glasses.

Yeah we have other needs, but when you're putting up 35 a game, some of those needs disappear.

Anyway, this board has been dead, and I just thought I'd give us something to talk about.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
14 years ago

This'd make Driver expendable. We could cut him, really.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

UserPostedImage

It would take a lot more than just Jones, Jordy, or Driver to get Marshall.

I dont question the guy's talent, I question him. He's probably as hot a commodity as T.O. was when he left Philly to Dallas. I'd much rather us draft talent to eventually replace Driver.
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

So the consensus in here is that we have enough talent and there aren't enough footballs to go around. Well guys, that's the kind of thinking that keeps us in the first round of the playoffs instead of going to the Super Bowl. You put Marshall on the field with Jennings and you make defensive coordinators have ulcers. Make our receiver corp elite, not just in the conversation with the top 3.

Donald Driver has been a great Packer, one of the best. But if you don't recognize he is declining than you're watching with homer glasses.

Yeah we have other needs, but when you're putting up 35 a game, some of those needs disappear.

Anyway, this board has been dead, and I just thought I'd give us something to talk about.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I wouldn't say bringing in Marshall and cutting Driver will win us even one game. Marshall is a great reciever no doubt. Driver may be a little on the decline, but he's still better than 50% of #1 recievers in the league.

Getting Marshall won't make our horrendous offensive line dissappear. Even if we score 35 points a game, the other team could score over 50, unless we improve our secondary. Defense wins championships, not having 5 starting caliber wide recievers, with two of them barely getting onto the field in a game.
This is a placeholder
dfosterf
14 years ago
Improved pass protection, coupled with repairing weaknesses in our run blocking, would be far more beneficial to our passing game and point production than trading away existing wide receivers for Brandon Marshall.

As Millertime said, he'd rather have a Jared Gaither. I agree with that. When you start to really look into HOW we ran the ball, in addition to the obvious stats regarding our offensive line--the pass blocking, etc.

You truly come away with a much better idea of just how significant our need is on that left side of our line.

So many blame Aaron for holding the ball "too long".

That is THE most over-hyped perception about this entire team. Of course he did at times, but he is also extremely mobile, and THANK GOD for that, or he'd probably be friggin' DEAD by now.

Even if it was 100% correct, then you BETTER get to fixing it, as THE number one priority, and that means (along with "fixing" Rodgers, [assign need value that you have here] )

You fix (especially) the left side of this line. I'd take a Jared Gaither WAY before I'd take a Brandon Marshall, for THIS team, at THIS time, if I wanted to improve my chances of winning more games.

Ted has done a beautiful job of drafting for a proper transition from our oldster to the young fellas. Some of you might not think that much of Jones, for example, but I'm pretty sure that Rodgers thinks very highly of him, and I certainly trust him as a fan.

I have every confidence that Donald Driver is gtg for another year. I have about 75% confidence that Chad Clifton is gtg for another full GAME.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Why does one rule out the other?
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
14 years ago
You guys talk like I'm giving up the whole draft for the guy. Please a high third that we got in a trade, plus two very replaceble players.

My fix on the O-line involves inserting Lang at LG, turning Colledge back into his real position of LT (lets not read too much into his perfomance against Jared Allen last year when he was playing on a a sprained ankle). Colledge wouldn't even play unless Clifton got hurt, and he's probably better than most of the second tier OT's this year anyway. And then we draft Kyle Calloway with our lower second round pick as Tauscher's eventual replacement.

Then you draft defense and special teams, with the rest of the draft.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Rock-
It doesn't. I was merely agreeing with Millertime about that aspect of his argument, and expanding upon a concept that you get far more "bang for the buck" on this team by improving that aspect of our line vs. getting even possibly/probably/arguably the best athlete in the game.

I personally don't know the potential of our existing wide receiver corps, or our quarterback, until I see him get some time, coupled with taking away some of the predictability of our run game . I think that this qb has the very real potential to be...

the best one EVER.

...And I have seen a LOT of them.

With or without a Brandon Marshall as a "weapon"
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
14 years ago

It doesn't. I was merely agreeing with Millertime about that aspect of his argument, and expanding upon a concept that you get far more "bang for the buck" on this team by improving that aspect of our line vs. getting even possibly/probably/arguably the best athlete in the game.

I personally don't know the potential of our existing wide receiver corps, or our quarterback, until I see him get some time, coupled with taking away some of the predictability of our run game . I think that this qb has the very real potential to be...

the best one EVER.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I just think we could get Marshall for cheap, and I'd rather see us do it than watch him end up in New England, or have to go to some dog shit team where his talent is wasted.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

the best one EVER.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I just think we could get Marshall for cheap, and I'd rather see us do it than watch him end up in New England, or have to go to some dog shit team where his talent is wasted.

"dfosterf" wrote:

fair enough.

Now go tell Rock to stop talking silliness about getting rid of Jordy and Jones in trade for Marshall. :pottytrain2:

I will say that Millertime and my argument semi-sucks Gaither-wise, because the Cowboys would have to be f#cking NUTS not to work a deal with Baltimore at draft time...It's an opinion.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I like Brandon Marshall, but do not want him on our team if it costs us our 3rd or 4th WR plus a pick. After seeing his antics in training camp, I want nothing to do with him on my team.
UserPostedImage