Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Green Bay If there's one absolute about Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, it's that he stands his ground.

He's done it on the field facing an onslaught of pass rushers behind a shaky offensive line.[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*197/aaron101409.jpg[/img_r]

And on Wednesday he dismissed challenges from reporters, fueled by comments from his coaches, that he has been holding the ball for too long in the pocket.

In each instance Rodgers took his hits and vowed to keep throwing - for better or for worse.

"I did hold the ball probably a couple times too long," Rodgers said. "But I'm playing quarterback the way that I know how to play quarterback instinctually, trusting my feet, trusting my time clock and that's going to happen at some point. I'm going to hold the ball too long, maybe feeling like I'm not under pressure, not seeing the pressure. But I'm not going to change."

If Rodgers wasn't going to adjust his play against the Vikings, it's a wonder if he ever will.

He took the field knowing coach Mike McCarthy specifically put in a quick-hit offensive scheme to deal with a vaunted Vikings defense playing on a fast surface with deafening crowd noise as a definite factor.

Rodgers also knew he was playing behind a line that had a guard (Daryn Colledge) at left tackle, and a right tackle (Allen Barbre) who has gotten off to the shakiest of starts in pass protection, especially in big games.

One might have figured Rodgers would "choke up on the bat" a little in that scenario. If you go from facing an 85-mph junkballer (the winless St. Louis Rams) to a guy who brings heat at 95-plus, it might be wise to shorten up your swing a little. That was McCarthy's plan. It wasn't for Rodgers.

"I was going with the opposite perspective," Rodgers said. "I'm going to be under pressure all night, but the last thing I want to do is speed up the way I'm playing and speed up my progressions. I need to continue playing at the same speed, and to trust the line, stay in the pocket.

"I watched last year's film at Minnesota, and I felt like I had gotten out too early. I passed over a guy in my progression. So I was telling myself all week, be patient, play fast but play under control. They got to me a few times, that's what happened."

Rodgers stopped short of calling out his offensive line, which has given up a league-leading 20 sacks. That total is more than the Packers allowed each year in 2003, '04 and '07, the last three seasons Green Bay went to the playoffs.

"We need to all do our jobs, myself included, and I'm going to do better and get the ball out of my hands as quickly as I can," Rodgers said. "But we need to protect a little better as well."

But Rodgers does need to improve his pocket awareness. McCarthy made that clear on Monday.

"We didn't call a lot of plays where we were holding the ball," McCarthy said. "That was part of the design. When you play up there in that noise, they're playing a little bit downhill on you when they know it's a pass. I think that's evident to everybody. Holding the ball sometimes is not what we want to do.

"It's really the combination of some of the things in the protection unit that we need to do a better job of, and frankly, some of it falls on the quarterback decision and his time clock."

The numbers certainly back up McCarthy.

On six of the eight sacks the Packers allowed, Rodgers had opportunities to either dump the ball off to a check-down receiver or throw it away completely.

One sack was a miscommunication with receiver James Jones after Rodgers checked out of a running play at the line. Everyone but Rodgers performed the play as a fullback dive.

On the final sack, Rodgers had no chance as rookie T.J. Lang allowed Vikings defensive end Jared Allen to blow by him.

Rodgers said the target times for his release are around 3 seconds for deep drops and play-action, and under 2 seconds for three-step drops.

Both Rodgers and Vikings quarterback Brett Favre ran similar West coast offenses under game plans that called for them to get rid of the ball quickly. Rodgers dropped back three steps or fewer 68% of the time 71% for Favre.

Rodgers average ball release time vs. the Vikings was 2.77 seconds on 47 dropbacks (37 attempts, eight sacks and two runs). Brett Favres was 2.41 seconds 2.26 if you throw out the ridiculous 7.33 he had to complete one throw.

A half-second is an eternity in the passing game.

Both quarterbacks were much more efficient when they got the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less. Favre completed 86% of his passes when he did that, 55% when he did not. Rodgers hit on 79.2% and 53.8%.

Unfortunately for the Packers, Rodgers unloaded the ball under 2.5 seconds on only 53.2% of his dropbacks. Favre did it 71% of the time.

Rodgers was actually at his best when he held the ball 2.25 seconds or less, perhaps an indication of the differences in the offensive lines protecting each quarterback.

In that timeframe, Rodgers completed 18 of 21 passes (85.7%) for 296 yards with a touchdown and was sacked once (134.6 passer rating). Over 2.25 seconds, Rodgers was 8 of 16 (50%) for 77 yards with a touchdown and an interception (61.5 rating). And seven of his eight sacks and two scrambling runs came over 2.25 seconds.

The difference between Favre and Rodgers at this point is Favre knows he cant out-run anybody with his 40-year-old legs. So he has no choice but to stay in the pocket.

Rodgers can run and knows his legs are dangerous. He is still learning to balance the run and pass.

Hes making a lot of good plays with his feet, but it also has caught us sometimes, McCarthy said.
But he has no doubt his quarterback will make the proper adjustments.

Aaron Rodgers is a very coachable quarterback, McCarthy said. The strength of his game is his decision-making. Weve had some things were going to improve on as we move forward. Those have been addressed, and I have full confidence that hes going to play at a high level.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
What this tells me is the WR are not getting separation fast enough. If they are open, Rodgers will throw the ball. As for the holding on to long argument again, I don't want to see Rodgers looking at 1st option then throw the ball away. When you have to check 2nd 3rd options, it takes more time. We need to give him the time to make it through the progressions.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
yooperfan
14 years ago
Oh, Oh!
Is a fissure opening up between the coach and the quarterback?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Oh, Oh!

"yooperfan" wrote:

What?
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
I don't even think Rodgers holds the ball that long. The problem when people say that he has time to throw it is that he is facing blitz pressure against a 4 man rush. Just look at what he does when teams actually do blitz him, he kills them. Against a 4 man rush it takes longer for guys to get open which makes sense because the QB should have more time to throw it in that situation (Rodgers does not).

What needs to change is he needs to start getting his 4 or so seconds vs a 4 man so teams will start having to pressure with a blitz.
blank
yooperfan
14 years ago
Quote::
Green Bay If there's one absolute about Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, it's that he stands his ground.

He's done it on the field facing an onslaught of pass rushers behind a shaky offensive line.

And on Wednesday he dismissed challenges from reporters, fueled by comments from his coaches, that he has been holding the ball for too long in the pocket.

In each instance Rodgers took his hits and vowed to keep throwing - for better or for worse.

"I did hold the ball probably a couple times too long," Rodgers said. "But I'm playing quarterback the way that I know how to play quarterback instinctually, trusting my feet, trusting my time clock and that's going to happen at some point. I'm going to hold the ball too long, maybe feeling like I'm not under pressure, not seeing the pressure. But I'm not going to change."

If Rodgers wasn't going to adjust his play against the Vikings, it's a wonder if he ever will.

Sounds like McCarthy devised a plan and Rodgers says he ain't changing the way he plays to accomodate that plan.

I could be reading it wrong and I hope I am.
Pack93z
14 years ago
I stand by my thoughts, Rodgers isn't the problem with the protection scheme and he knows it.

As much as the coaching staff is playing nice in the press, they are pointing at a snap or two a game where he might be tentative. This is where dancing around issues in the press comes back a little.. when reporters are chasing the wrong root cause of the issues.

He isn't forcing the ball where it shouldn't be, he is getting his head up going through his reads, and he is poised in the pocket yet. All signs of what you want from our QB.

Give him a little protection and the receivers giving him options to place the football and we will be ready to roll.

As far a a riff between Mike McCarthy and Rodgers, doubt it.. they are married to each other at this point.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
14 years ago

Oh, Oh!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

What?

"yooperfan" wrote:

I think he was trying to be homoerotic.
Cheesey
14 years ago

I don't even think Rodgers holds the ball that long. The problem when people say that he has time to throw it is that he is facing blitz pressure against a 4 man rush. Just look at what he does when teams actually do blitz him, he kills them. Against a 4 man rush it takes longer for guys to get open which makes sense because the QB should have more time to throw it in that situation (Rodgers does not).

What needs to change is he needs to start getting his 4 or so seconds vs a 4 man so teams will start having to pressure with a blitz.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Yup.
Good point. If you only have to rush 4 to get to him, that puts more guys into coverage. Thus lowering your chance at a completion.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
14 years ago

What this tells me is the WR are not getting separation fast enough. If they are open, Rodgers will throw the ball. As for the holding on to long argument again, I don't want to see Rodgers looking at 1st option then throw the ball away. When you have to check 2nd 3rd options, it takes more time. We need to give him the time to make it through the progressions.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Quarterbacks are supposed to get the ball out within 3 seconds, 4 seconds tops. 1st 2nd 3rd progression then back to 1st if nothing dump it off

As much as i hate to bring up Favre's name, living in MN im forced to watch him every week, he has got this down perfectly and gets the ball out just fine.

If Rodgers was doing that all year we'd probably have ~14 sacks instead of 20
BAD EMAIL because the address couldn ot be found, or is unable to receive mail.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (6h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (8h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (9h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.