longtimefan
15 years ago

Didn't take me half a second to choose. If you miss the playoffs anyway, who cares whether you're 6-10 or 9-7? The result is the same.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

shield4life
15 years ago

Didn't take me half a second to choose. If you miss the playoffs anyway, who cares whether you're 6-10 or 9-7? The result is the same.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Since69
15 years ago

"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi

I voted for 9-7. My philosophy is simple, and most of you have probably already heard it: Give me wins over draft picks every time. Draft picks are consolation prizes that usually do nothing but deliver false hope to perennial losers.

Besides, we all know what a crap shoot the draft is. Are the odds of getting a good player affected that much by nine draft slots? I'll say no. In fact, I'll go one better and say Hell No. The damned useless combine (unfortunately) determines the top ten more than anything else anyway.

Like aadp said above, "Success breeds success". The confidence of the team has more influence on the outcome of a football game than the pedigrees of its individual players. Nothing brings wins like a winning attitude.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I voted for 9-7. My philosophy is simple, and most of you have probably already heard it: Give me wins over draft picks every time. Draft picks are consolation prizes that usually do nothing but deliver false hope to perennial losers.

Besides, we all know what a crap shoot the draft is. Are the odds of getting a good player affected that much by nine draft slots? I'll say no. In fact, I'll go one better and say Hell No. The damned useless combine (unfortunately) determines the top ten more than anything else anyway.

Like aadp said above, "Success breeds success". The confidence of the team has more influence on the outcome of a football game than the pedigrees of its individual players. Nothing brings wins like a winning attitude.

"Since69" wrote:

+1.
Well said.

Detroit has had plenty of early picks. They're now the best team in the NFL. By far. Any year now, they're going to win Super Bowl after Super Bowl. I'm scared. No other team in the NFC North has a chance. We shouldn't even try. We should be gunning for Wild Card if we're even going to make the Playoffs.

It's a given we're going to be swept the Lions. Same with da Bears. Same with the Vikings. They'll go 19-0 next year fo shizzle.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I'm still going for 6-10. The only reason I'd like to see a winning season would be because of Rodgers, he played hias ass of every game, playing through injury, yet, he gets a horrible season.

I'm not going for the succes breeds more succes part though. I mean, obviously you can put in the Lions or the Patriots, but what about the Rams (14-2, 7-9) (12-4, 8-8) Or right this year, The Packers, the Falcons and the Dolphins.

I understand it's a big motivator, but I think I prefer a new defensive coaching staff and some critical words to get a better season next year.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I don't see what pride there is in going 9-7. I don't even see how it can be considered all that "successful." It's the barest margin possible over mediocre. My definition of success includes more than slightly-better-than-.500 record.

I'd rather go 3-13 one season and 13-3 the next (Colts) . . . or 1-15 one season and 11-5 the next (Dolphins) . . . or 4-12 one season and and 11-5 the next (Falcons) than go 9-7 two years in a row (Buccaneers). All four teams I mentioned have one thing in common: they each went to the playoffs once in those two seasons. But while the first three teams went through deeper troughs, they also experienced more radical changes. The Buccaneers arguably made few notable changes, and they missed the playoffs this year with the same record.

Packer fans of today are completely spoiled by the chain of mostly winning seasons we've had over the past decade and a half. They're used to going to the playoffs almost every year, but they fail to remember that one of the main reasons we've made it to the playoffs so often is we play in one of the most consistently pathetic divisions in the league. I'm so tired of reading, here and elsewhere, "Losing isn't acceptable on a team that's used to success." Well, guess what? It's going to happen now and then. You're not going to get a winning season every year just because you think losing is unacceptable.

It's cliche (but true) to say you cannot know true joy unless you have known true sorrow. As much as it may suck in the short term (taking medicine is never fun), it may be what Packer nation needs right now. This 6-10 season may not have been the most joyful seasons we can remember, but as one of our local radio hosts pointed out awhile back, it was certainly the most entertaining seasons -- in terms of the sheer number of close, riveting, dramatic, down-to-the-last-second games -- we've had in many years.

A team that consistently went 9-7 or 10-6 wouldn't be successful, as far as I'm concerned, and it wouldn't be fun to watch either. It would be boring.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
15 years ago
Well, you could easily say that going 8-8 in 06 wasnt by any means successful, but you'de be hard pressed to argue against the idea that winning the final four in 06 to go from 4-8 to 8-8 contributed largely to the continued success in 07.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I would argue that it was entirely irrelevant. There's no way to demonstrate causation. Sheesh, there's an 8-month time lapse -- not to mention personnel changes -- between the end of one season and the beginning of the next. I don't buy the idea that players sustain some mystical sort of euphoria the entire off-season that buoys them into the next regular season.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
Doing good one year is no guarentee that you will do good again next year. ALOT can change in that time.
Also, doing lousy one year is no guarentee you will suck next year.

What is done to make your team better in the off season is what will make the biggest difference.
JMO
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
One point I forgot to add in my post above was that I don't fully buy the cliche that "losing easily becomes a habit." While there's no doubt some merit to that concept, I think mediocrity is far more addictive than losing. It's the well-established statistical concept of regression toward the mean . In other words, it's much easier to hover between 7-10 and 9-7 for years on end (like the Texans or Bills) than to dwell in the basement between 1-15 and 4-12 for more than a year or two in a row.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (11h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.