Martha Careful
4 hours ago
I thought this was interesting, MC (Sorry, I goofed up the Size and cant seem to fix it)
The New York Times Reported

This Shark Lives 400 Years. Its DNA May Explain Why.
Scientists have mapped the genome of the Greenland shark, which could offer clues to the animal’s extreme longevity.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
An undersea view looking up at the surface, possibly covered in part by ice, of a Greenland shark swimming into the darkness.

In a new study, researchers identified a network of 81 genes that were found only in Greenland sharks and are known to play a role in DNA repair.Credit...WaterFrame/Alamy

By Jonathan Moens
Sept. 22, 2024, 5:01 a.m. ET
The Greenland shark is not exactly charismatic. Its hulking frame is covered by sandpaper skin. Its fins, stunted, sit awkwardly along its sides. And its eyes, perpetually cloudy, are often host to wormlike parasites that dangle as the shark slowly roams the depths of the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.

But looks aside, the species has a surprising capacity: It can live for as long as about 400 years. Now, an international team of scientists from Europe and the United States has mapped the genome of the Greenland shark, offering scientists an opportunity to glean the secret to the shark’s outstanding longevity.

“Any research into the mechanisms of how this animal is able to live for such a long time will at some point need the genome sequence,” said Steve Hoffmann, a computational biologist at the Leibniz Institute on Aging and the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, in Germany, who led the research.

The findings, published as a preprint in bioRxiv, provide a comprehensive assembly of the shark’s genetic makeup. It also provides initial insights into the specific genes and biological mechanisms, including a network of duplicated genes involved in DNA repair, that may be responsible for the shark’s exceptional life span.

The scientists found that Greenland sharks possessed very large genomes: about 6.5 billion DNA “base pairs,” or building blocks — about twice as many as in humans, and the biggest genome of any other shark sequenced to date.
“We wouldn’t have guessed that it’s so large,” said Arne Sahm, a bioinformatician also at the Leibniz Institute on Aging and Ruhr University Bochum, who was the lead author on the study.

Surprisingly, more than two-thirds of the genome was composed of repeated genes known as transposable elements, or jumping genes. These genes insert themselves in others and self-replicate through a copy-and-paste mechanism. In doing so, they often disrupt the normal functioning of genes and may cause mutations, deletions or duplications, which can lead to the development of diseases or developmental issues in the organism.

“These are parasites, genomic parasites,” said Mr. Hoffmann. “They have a pretty bad reputation.”
The findings led the researchers to wonder how sharks could live so long if they carried such a high number of these harmful genes. They proposed that the Greenland shark might have evolved a unique way to hijack the machinery of these jumping genes to duplicate genes involved in DNA repair.

“These are animals that live longer than human beings, and they do this in the wild, without medicines or hospitals or health care,” said João Pedro de Magalhães, a molecular biogerontologist at the University of Birmingham in England, who was not involved in the study.

Studying the sharks, he added, may help scientists one day “develop cancer therapies or prevention measures, or a greater fundamental understanding of cancer that will lead to clinical benefits” in humans.

The shark’s remarkable longevity first came to light in 2016, when a landmark study published in Science used radiocarbon dating methods and modeling techniques to estimate the ages of 28 Greenland sharks. The researchers found that the oldest sharks could live for about 400 years and reached sexual maturity around age 150.

Flabbergasted, scientists from around the world have since been studying Greenland sharks to better understand how the species can live so long. Some are looking at its heart; others are homing in on its metabolism, and many are monitoring its behavior and ecology.

The pinnacle has been to unravel the Greenland shark’s genome. In the past five years, at least three teams have been racing to produce a full genome of the shark.

Hoffmann and his collaborators were the first to publish the shark’s genome, which covers around 92 percent of its entire DNA.

“We knew nothing before about its genome, and now we have a complete genome sequence,” said Steven Austad, a biologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, who was not involved in the study. “I think that’s great.”
Reaching this stage took extensive fieldwork, including several expeditions off the coasts of Greenland, where members of the team caught Greenland sharks, euthanized them and took tissue samples from their spinal cords.

Those tissue samples were then stored at low temperatures and sent to the Leibniz Institute, where the DNA was extracted, sequenced and compared with that of other sharks. In the end, the team sequenced the DNA from brain tissue from one shark.

A key finding identified a network of 81 genes that were found only in Greenland sharks and that played a role in DNA repair.

The researchers hypothesized that regular DNA repair genes had evolved to exploit the machinery of jumping genes in order to copy and paste more of themselves. That process may have helped them to both counteract the accumulated damage caused by jumping genes and improve the shark’s DNA repair abilities.

At the center of this network was a well-known gene, called TP53, that has been implicated in DNA repair and tumor suppression. A study published in 2016 showed that elephants carried 20 copies of this gene, and scientists believe that the gene may account for the animal’s strong resistance to cancer. The gene was also found to be structurally altered in Greenland sharks, although the team is still assessing whether this change would enhance the shark’s longevity.

The shark results are interesting, Dr. Austad said, but he cautioned that duplications don’t always reveal much. “Lots of genes get duplicated and don’t have any particular consequence,” he said.

He added that researchers would need to understand how these findings apply to live cells of different types, an
effort that could entail culturing Greenland shark cells, converting them into stem cells and differentiating them into, say, heart or brain cells.

“Then you could tinker — then you could manipulate the genome,” Dr. Austad said.

Mr. Sahm said his team hoped to conduct genome sequences of species that are shorter-lived but evolutionarily very
similar to Greenland sharks, like the Pacific sleeper shark. That also might shed light on what enables Greenland sharks to live so long.

Whichever direction the research takes, Dr. Austad said, it’s an exciting time for Greenland shark research. “Now is where the fun begins,” he said. “Now that we have the genome, it’s a question of developing hypotheses and then testing them.”

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
2 hours ago
They should check my DNA. I'm gonna live forever!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.