wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
18 days ago
Corner could be an issue but then again they may surprise us.

I see no reason why JA and Stokes won't return to form. I'm more concerned with Nixon in the slot. There is a real possibility he loses the starting job before week 8.

If there’s a place where things could go wrong, it’s at cornerback.

Now that the dust has settled on final cuts, it’s a bit easier to get a full perspective on the Packers ’ roster. And looking at the totality of what Brian Gutekunst has constructed, the overall picture looks pretty good! It’s hard to really call anyone a contender until you see them in action, but the Packers look to have a deep, talented roster that should stand up well against just about any team they’ll face this year.

Unless, of course, something goes wrong. And if something goes wrong, it seems like a fair bet to assume it’ll be going wrong at cornerback.

I don’t know if what the Packers have done at corner is any riskier than decisions they’ve made elsewhere on the roster. After all, they’re going into Week 1 with a kicker and a backup quarterback who weren’t in Green Bay until this week. But if any position is going to create problems for this year’s team, even without accounting for injuries, it’s almost certainly going to be cornerback.

The Packers only kept five corners on their initial 53 man roster, and I think it’s fair to say there are questions about every single one of them, starting with Jaire Alexander.

It’s true that when healthy, Alexander is one of the better corners in the NFL. Maybe not every single week, and maybe not in a way that aligns with his contract, but he’s a very good player. And it’s also probably true that Jeff Hafley’s scheme is a better fit for his talents than Joe Barry’s.

But assuming he’ll be healthy and assuming he’ll thrive in a new scheme are just that: assumptions. And resting your hopes for a position group on an assumption that a guy who hasn’t played a full season since 2019 and is jumping into a new scheme is a pretty big assumption.

The questions don’t stop there. Lining up across from Alexander is Eric Stokes, who has, by all accounts, had an excellent summer on his way back from a disastrous 2023. And, for that matter, a disastrous 2022.

Injuries are no doubt a huge part of Stokes’ story over the past couple of seasons, and it looks like he’s put some of those concerns behind him in the short term. Like Alexander, we don’t really know how he’ll hold up this year — truthfully, he probably doesn’t either — and it seems a safe bet to assume he’ll miss some time at some point.

But there’s also the fact that the last time we saw Stokes on the field regularly, he wasn’t very good. He was solid as a rookie in 2021, but even prior to his injury in 2022 he was in free fall. Through nine games, Stokes had allowed completions on 21 of the 25 passes where he was the primary defender, allowing 275 yards through the air and giving up a touchdown. In those nine games (eight, really — he only played 10 snaps against the Lions before his catastrophic injury), he did not make a single play on the ball: no interceptions, fumbles forced, or passes defensed. He was penalized twice and, according to Pro Football Focus, allowed a passer rating of 125.8.

It would be great if he completely put his injury issues behind him and played like the player we saw in 2021, and I hope he does. But hope is not a plan, and the Packers are hoping for a lot from Stokes this year.

Keisean Nixon is not immune from questions either. He’s fallen into an unusual role over his time in Green Bay after originally being little more than a special teams signing when Rich Bisaccia took over as the team’s special teams coordinator. When Nixon arrived in Green Bay, he had never played more than 155 snaps on defense in a given season and had returned six kickoffs in his NFL career. But nearly simultaneously, he blossomed into an elite kickoff returner and also took over as a crucial slot defender for the Packers.

Now, the Packers are paying Nixon like an elite slot defender  and seem to be counting on him to play a big role in their reconstructed secondary. Is he actually elite? The Packers seem to think so, but again, we’re counting on their assessment aligning with both what they’re paying him and what they need him to be. Maybe Javon Bullard can ease some of that tension on Nixon, but if Nixon falters, that would seem to be a strategy that actually weakens two positions, since doing so would make Bullard less of an asset at safety.

And maybe this is nitpicking, but it’s hard to feel overly confident in the Packers’ depth. I don’t think most teams in the NFL are just enamored of their fourth and fifth corners, and the Packers probably feel better than most, given what Carrington Valentine and Corey Ballentine were able to do when pressed into duty last year, but if either of those players is playing a huge role at corner this year, things have probably gone horribly wrong.

Now, perhaps this is all handwringing over nothing. Maybe all of the Packers cornerbacks will be blessed with supernatural health this year and will surpass all of our expectations in every way. That’s certainly possible! But it seems more likely that there will be a few bumps in the road this season, and the cornerback room seems like it’s not particularly well equipped to handle those bumps.

I can’t help but remember the 2016 Packers season. That team had more than its share of issues, but cornerback was chief among them, and it started to unravel from the very start. Sam Shields’ concussion in Week 1 ruined his career, and just about everyone else played like the worst version of themselves that season, with the exception of Micah Hyde. Damarious Randall regressed, Quinten Rollins played like the basketball player he always was, and Ladarius Gunter was an undrafted free agent who ended up matched up with Dez Bryant and Julio Jones in the playoffs, with predictable results . Had that unit played to its potential, things probably would have been fine. But assuming everything will be fine is a recipe for disaster, and it could be brewing in Green Bay this year.

Continue Reading @ Jon Meerdink 

Jon Meerdink wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
17 days ago

Corner could be an issue but then again they may surprise us.

I see no reason why JA and Stokes won't return to form. I'm more concerned with Nixon in the slot. There is a real possibility he loses the starting job before week 8.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Who do you see pushing Nixon for the starting nickel role?

Even if Stokes returns to form, he wasn't exactly ever good... especially at tackling and stopping guys after they got the ball. If they're all fully healthy, Stokes is whom I'd be worried about.

Overall team wise, I'm most worried about the OL. On defense, probably CB.

But one thing to remember is the scheme, which I believe will ask the DL to penetrate every single play, all across the line, so no more two gapping, or trying to clog the OL, and even on run plays, all penetrating all the time.

In theory, that will give the QB less time to throw the ball, but more holes in the defense front, where if you can make a guy miss, you can have a bigger/longer run play.

So the scheme should help the coverage, but might hurt the run defense.

This also could potentially wear the pass rush down quicker, but I figure that's partly why they overloaded the DL going extra heavy on DE and DT, including using return from IR on DT Ford.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
17 days ago

Who do you see pushing Nixon for the starting nickel role?

Even if Stokes returns to form, he wasn't exactly ever good... especially at tackling and stopping guys after they got the ball. If they're all fully healthy, Stokes is whom I'd be worried about.

Overall team wise, I'm most worried about the OL. On defense, probably CB.

But one thing to remember is the scheme, which I believe will ask the DL to penetrate every single play, all across the line, so no more two gapping, or trying to clog the OL, and even on run plays, all penetrating all the time.

In theory, that will give the QB less time to throw the ball, but more holes in the defense front, where if you can make a guy miss, you can have a bigger/longer run play.

So the scheme should help the coverage, but might hurt the run defense.

This also could potentially wear the pass rush down quicker, but I figure that's partly why they overloaded the DL going extra heavy on DE and DT, including using return from IR on DT Ford.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Javon Bullard. Move Evan Williams in at S and put Bullard into the slot. I heard that Corey Ballentine can play in the slot as well.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16h) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (18h) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (23h) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (23h) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (23h) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (23h) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (23h) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (23h) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (23h) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (23h) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (23h) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (23h) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Muwahahahah
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : I'll ride Jordan Love > Brock Purdy all day!
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Packers TE that you all say is being phased out lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Upper tier QB???
dhazer (12-Sep) : backup RB
dhazer (12-Sep) : and he rejects it because I rejected his trade of the 49ers backup B for Mcaffery lol
dhazer (12-Sep) : I try helping out Kevin and trading him an upper teir QB so he has a starter and even gave him a Packer TE for a backup TE Purdy for Love
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : MLF says “Love’s injury is more day to day than anything”
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Mucky Tundra (11-Sep) : Zero, regarding Eli scouting Rodgers, that's the joke. Rodgers only played 4 snaps so it would take Eli 5 minutes to scout him
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Jordan Love not seen at practice today.
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : De’Von Achane practiced today in what appeared to be a lighter walkthrough session.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.