Pack93z
11 years ago

Without knowing what Harrell's footwork should be on that play no one can tell whether he or the lineman is at fault.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Looking at the play again.. I wonder if there was some issue in the snap, because Saturday looked like he got smashed on the play. Watch his feet basically slide from under him.

I want to blame anything and everything I can on a QB.. but to be fair, Saturday got whipped on that play.

Also.. why try to run wide on a goal line play in the first place?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
istanbulpacker
11 years ago

It was just one of those things that happens. I think a more experience QB would have known to step farther back but again, its not really a 'mistake' on his part in my opinion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think what was said in chat on Sunday was the best summary of this. Sure, don't crucify him for getting stepped on. Maybe Jeff Saturday got pushed, maybe he slipped, maybe a lot of things. However, the poor decision to hand the ball off to Benson's thigh to try to force the play was probably a little bit too foolish for his one and only play of the game/career(?).

(and if any one of you has read John Grisham's football book, Playing for Pizza, then you will understand the irony of that play and the fact that I just started the book yesterday. Basically, in the start of the book, the 3rd string QB for the Browns comes in with 11 mins left and a significant lead in the AFC championship game. He throws 3 passes...all picks...and becomes the goat as his team loses and no Browns SB.#-o It is sort of a For Love of the Game but for football book.)

blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I think what was said in chat on Sunday was the best summary of this. Sure, don't crucify him for getting stepped on. Maybe Jeff Saturday got pushed, maybe he slipped, maybe a lot of things. However, the poor decision to hand the ball off to Benson's thigh to try to force the play was probably a little bit too foolish for his one and only play of the game/career(?).

(and if any one of you has read John Grisham's football book, Playing for Pizza, then you will understand the irony of that play and the fact that I just started the book yesterday. Basically, in the start of the book, the 3rd string QB for the Browns comes in with 11 mins left and a significant lead in the AFC championship game. He throws 3 passes...all picks...and becomes the goat as his team loses and no Browns SB.#-o It is sort of a For Love of the Game but for football book.)

Originally Posted by: istanbulpacker 

was it just last week or was it against the Bears where Rodgers was tripped and falling down? He managed to reach out and get the ball to Benson. It could have happen to Aaron as well. Quality players don't quit. They try to make the most out of a bad situation.

I am not sold on Harrell being a starting QB in the NFL but I am not saying the fumble was his fault either.
UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
11 years ago

was it just last week or was it against the Bears where Rodgers was tripped and falling down? He managed to reach out and get the ball to Benson. It could have happen to Aaron as well. Quality players don't quit. They try to make the most out of a bad situation.

I am not sold on Harrell being a starting QB in the NFL but I am not saying the fumble was his fault either.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

There is a great difference in quality between Aaron Rodgers and Graham Harrell. What I'm saying is that it shows a lot of moxie to try to force something like that on your first career snap in the NFL.....or shows a lot of inexperience. True, it can happen to anyone. Experience will teach you when it is right to try and when you should just eat the down and save the turnover. I'm confident ARod knows the diff...not so sure about Harrell. Bet he does now. If he wants to stay in the league.
blank
gbguy20
11 years ago
Since I haven't seen anyone mention it, Mike said he should not have called a play with such complicated footwork with a QB who has had very little practice time.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
In any case, it was a tough situation for Harrell to be in. I don't think stepping on his foot is something they prepared for!! In his spit second decision he thought he could complete the handoff, looking back obviously he would eat the ball, take the loss and try again for the TD. This year has been a sort of weird year so far - across the league.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
istanbulpacker
11 years ago

Since I haven't seen anyone mention it, Mike said he should not have called a play with such complicated footwork with a QB who has had very little practice time.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Yeah, the other thing not mentioned is that it wasn't Harrell's fault that Brees throws an 80yd TD either. Certainly the Harrell fumble cost us at least 3 pts. The 7 pts we gave up a few plays later, however, goes against the D. Anyone see anything on what happened there? Was Shields supposed to have top cover or did he just blow it?
blank
mi_keys
11 years ago

Yeah, the other thing not mentioned is that it wasn't Harrell's fault that Brees throws an 80yd TD either. Certainly the Harrell fumble cost us at least 3 pts. The 7 pts we gave up a few plays later, however, goes against the D. Anyone see anything on what happened there? Was Shields supposed to have top cover or did he just blow it?

Originally Posted by: istanbulpacker 

Zero posted a quote by him in another thread where Shields said he got caught looking in the back field and that it was entirely his fault.

http://packershome.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=14964&p=3 
Born and bred a cheesehead
Pack93z
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

That was my point with the wide run.. summed up better than I.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"