12 years ago

We had baby at 14 & I prayed Tia wouldn't make same mistake

Britain's youngest grandparents break silence

UserPostedImage
Young family... parents Kelly and Shem with Tia and Jordan
Bradley Page

by Carole Aye Maung and James Weatherup
Februar 27, 2011

THE couple set to be Britain's youngest grandparents last night came out fighting - desperate to hit back at gossips attacking their pregnant 14-year-old daughter.

Shem Davies and onetime girlfriend Kelly John, both 29, admit it was a shock to find schoolgirl Tia was having a baby at the same age they were when they were expecting her.

UserPostedImage
Back then... Shem, 14 and tiny Tia
Bradley Page

But today, as we reveal their identities for the first time, Shem and Kelly reject the tide of abuse that greeted news of family history repeating itself. And they tell how they plan to help Tia and her boyfriend Jordan Williams, just 15, whose baby is due in August.

Wiping away tears, Kelly told us: "My worst nightmare has always been that Tia would repeat my mistake and get pregnant young.

"I was always telling her, 'Don't do what I did because you need to live your life.' So when I found she was in exactly the same situation I was really shocked.

"I felt the colour drain from my face and all I could do was cry. It's like it's happening to me all over again - the agony I went through as a schoolgirl mum."

Tia and boyfriend Jordan both go to Ynysawdre school near Bridgend, South Wales - the same school Kelly attended while she was pregnant.

Kelly - who lives with Tia, three other children from a broken marriage and boyfriend Carl Zaccardelli - was six months pregnant by the time her mother Ceri discovered she and Shem were having underage sex.

"I was too scared to say anything and sort of hoped it would all go away," she said. "But when I was six months gone Mum could tell. It was a huge shock to her."

Grandparents at 29

And seven weeks ago, in an eerie replay, Kelly learned the truth about Tia's pregnancy.

While the youngster was still steeling herself to break the news, Mum stumbled on the positive baby-test results in her daughter's bedroom.

Suddenly Kelly was reliving all the heartache. She knew only too well the problems facing a young single mum - for barely three months after Tia was born, the pressure of being a dad proved too much for 14-year-old Shem and he ditched her. Kelly was devastated. Her eyes still well at the memory. And sat next to her on the sofa, sandy-haired Shem is clearly uncomfortable. He lives just six doors away with his 21-year-old partner and their 12-week-old son. Shifting awkwardly in his seat, Shem told us: "I thought Kelly and I would stay together forever and bring up Tia. But I was dreaming as you do at that age. I just didn't know how to be a dad. I was still a kid myself.

"I was far too young for that kind of responsibility. It was too hard."

UserPostedImage
Teen love... Jordan and Tia
Bradley Page

Kelly said: "I was left holding the baby. At just 15 I felt all washed up and alone. I was very hurt and it was so difficult struggling to cope. I was determined Tia was never ever going to experience anything like that.

"I always lectured her about the importance of contraception. When she started dating Jordan, her first boyfriend, I took her to the doctor to discuss contraceptive injections. But Tia didn't want them - she was worried they'd make her put on weight.

"When I confronted her with the pregnancy tests I needed to know if she'd deliberately set out to be like me. But she told me she hadn't and I believe her.

"I asked what she wanted to do about the baby and to begin with she was very confused. One minute she wanted to keep it, then she didn't, then she did.

"I was careful to explain both sides - how her life would be if she kept the baby and if she didn't. I stressed to her how hard it was for me, and how it completely changed my life. I told her she really needed to get a job first, then a house, then a family - in that order."

Shem was equally shocked by the news. "I'd no idea Tia was having sex," he said. "But then I think back to how I was at that age. I could have yelled at Tia or given Jordan a rollicking, but what's the point? Instead I simply told Tia the truth - how, at 14, I was just too young to have a baby, and how it might turn out too much for Jordan too."

Incredibly, when Tia's baby is born, there will be SIX generations of the family alive including a great-great-great- grandma of 92 and a one-year-old uncle.

Despite their own troubled past, £92-a-week café worker Kelly and jobless Shem are determined to support the youngsters. "While I've always regretted not using contraceptives, I've never regretted having Tia," insisted Kelly.

"And it's very important she returns to school to finish her GCSEs. So me and my mum will help with the baby.

"I'm very proud of Tia, but very embarrassed about the way people are judging us. I see the nudges and the looks that say, 'Like mother, like daughter.'

"I never wanted Tia to be known as the girl who got pregnant at 14. But she's my world and I want her to be happy."

We'll be top mum and dad

UserPostedImage
Repeating history... Tia & Jordan get 1st baby scan
Bradley Page

The two schoolkids at the centre of the underage pregnancy storm yesterday vowed to beat the odds, stay together and become good parents.

Just days after having her 12-week scan, 14-year-old Tia John insisted she and boyfriend Jordan Williams, 15, will return to the classroom after she gives birth.

Determined to tell the world they are not reckless thrill-seekers, she confessed: "I always wanted a baby - but not this young. We both know we're too young. And I regret not always using contraception.

"But now it's happened I want to keep the baby - and Jordan and I are going to give it all our love and everything we can. I'm going to prove to everyone that I can do it and bring my baby up properly."

Jordan, who is just 4ft 11ins and looks far younger than 15, nodded and agreed: "I didn't think I'd start a family until I was 21. But we're so happy now.

"We used condoms most of the time and never thought Tia would get pregnant. But a baby is a blessing, no matter what age you are.

"And it's even more reason to work hard at school. I've applied to join the Marines as a fitness instructor and need at least C grades in Maths, English and Science. I'm training and studying hard so I get in. It's my dream. I want to provide for Tia and our baby."

Tia - who lists her likes as Cheryl Cole, Peter Andre and McDonald's - recalled the tricky moment mum Kelly confronted her about being pregnant.

"It was all very emotional," she said. "I ran upstairs crying and Jordan broke down in tears.

"He was so worried what his mum would say he had to tell her by text.

"I thought about a termination but knew I'd regret it."

NO money has been paid directly to any member of the family. Instead we are setting up an independently-monitored trust fund for Tia's future.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : And the Hershey Bears for their AHL Championship 🏆 with tons of overtime games
Zero2Cool (19h) : Sure getting lot of spam accounts lately.
Martha Careful (25-Jun) : Congratulations to the Florida Panthers in the NHL and U Tenn in the CWS on their championships
Zero2Cool (24-Jun) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (24-Jun) : NOT
wpr (24-Jun) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (23-Jun) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Jun / Random Babble / earthquake

23-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.