wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
How Will The Short Offseason Hurt The Special Teams?  

The Green Bay Packers have had lousy special teams play for the past three seasons, though there was some improvement with the addition of P Tim Masthay. Arguably it was a problem for them all season, they should have been better than 10-6 in 2010 but the special teams unit rarely gave them a big play. It didn't lose them a game in the playoffs, however, it didn't help them win a game either.

Len Pasquarelli thinks the Packers might not be so fortunate next season. At CBSSports.com:

It's somewhat incongruous that in a year in which the Green Bay Packers were the Super Bowl XLV champions, the storied franchise finished near the bottom of the special teams rankings -- 29th, in fact -- annually compiled by NFL writer Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News...

"The impact [of special teams] will probably be bigger than ever," allowed one NFC head coach whose teams ranked in the top one-third of the league in '10, according to Gosselin's calculations. "Details are big in any year, and will be bigger if we have to play without an offseason ... and special teams are all about details."

Still, there is something to be said for continuity, and that's a commodity that, as far as special teams, will be a prized commodity in 2011.

In a way, coach Shawn Slocum has already been through a chaotic season in 2010 when injuries hit his special teams unit hard. At times, there were new players joining the team every week, and he only had that week to get them prepared. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well, as Football Outsiders ranked their special teams unit No. 26 overall due in large part to poor kickoff coverage and kick returns. It's possible that they could be even worse in 2011, but I can't believe it.

Continuity, and having veterans available for special team duties, might be a big reason why S Anthony Smith expects he'll be re-signed by the Packers once the lockout is lifted. Maybe some of the recent late round draft choices will help turn it around. 5 of their last 7 picks last April were defensive backs, linebackers, and tight ends, who are the usually the players running down on kick coverage. Not that I have a lot of faith in Slocum, but Mike McCarthy does, and maybe this is the year it all comes together. It could happen...

UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

I thought their was an article a long while ago that said the Super Bowl winners normally haven't had great ST play as of late and they focused largely on the Colts (very poor STs play) vs. the Bears (very good ST play) Super Bowl but also talked about of Super Bowl winning teams not being great with STs.

Ether way last years team got thin in some ST areas because of injuries (and some were thin to start with)... I figure simple staying healthier would improve the ST plays... plus add Cobb and those ST numbers should go up and get better.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
Another way to look at it is that the shortened off-season will hurt everybody's special teams, which will tend to equalize things. You can go round and round and round with this stuff. My guess is that the effect of the lockout on competitive balance overall will be difficult to determine and probably not great.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago

Another way to look at it is that the shortened off-season will hurt everybody's special teams, which will tend to equalize things. You can go round and round and round with this stuff. My guess is that the effect of the lockout on competitive balance overall will be difficult to determine and probably not great.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I was going to say about the same thing.. IMO.. the effect this will have overall more so will be the defenses, especially the complex schemes will be effected greatly.. but even then the offenses in general will be behind as well.

Overall.. a bit more of a "sloppy" game will appear early.. but shouldn't be that glaringly apparent.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago
I think you are right Beast. When I saw this article it reminded me of the post you refer to.

I am not an expert in the area but I would think that of the 3 "teams" each franchise has, the ST has more turnover than the offense or defense. They will have more rookies and first year players. They will have more players that are new to that particular franchise and thus the ST are further behind on the learning curve from season to season.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

I was going to say about the same thing.. IMO.. the effect this will have overall more so will be the defenses, especially the complex schemes will be effected greatly.. but even then the offenses in general will be behind as well.

Overall.. a bit more of a "sloppy" game will appear early.. but shouldn't be that glaringly apparent.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

You know, I've often thought that all of the off-season preparation may have the effect of making the game too complicated for its own good, which results in sloppy play because the players are having to think so much out there. It just might be that with coaches having to simplify things a bit we'll actually see a cleaner-looking game based more on one-on-one matchups.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

You know, I've often thought that all of the off-season preparation may have the effect of making the game too complicated for its own good, which results in sloppy play because the players are having to think so much out there. It just might be that with coaches having to simplify things a bit we'll actually see a cleaner-looking game based more on one-on-one matchups.

The flip side to that is that one of the reasons for GB's success is their complicated multiple formations are more difficult for the defense's to read and react to. A simplified version will work against them.

Same goes for the defense. A slimmed down playbook will only hurt them.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I agree with this guy. He the smart.

I think that's what we'll see too and I wouldn't be surprised (if there's a considerable less amount of injuries) if players say they are worked too hard during the off season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (22h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (22h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.