IronMan
14 years ago

No

You only do that when you are already winning.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Westbrook did a similar kneel down in 2007. It helped to salt away the victory for the Eagles too, though it pissed a lot of fantasy owners off.

I don't know if Jones should have done something similar. All I know is that I was hoping they would go for the first down instead of the touchdown. When we scored the touchdown with 2:06 left on the clock, I turned to the people I was watching the game with and said: "We're going to lose." Capers had run a prevent defense a couple of times on the previous drive, so I was pretty sure he would on the ensuing drive as well, and considering Roethlisberger already had well over 400 yards by this point, not to mention the functional equivalent of two timeouts remaining, I was pretty sure he was going to chew our defense up.

Mike McCarthy is so lucky the officiating crew gave him that one timeout back. He almost made the same mistake that Lovie Smith had made the week prior.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
If Jones would have knelt at the 1. Score would have been 28 - 30, right? that means, the clock would have had just over 2:00 minutes on it, right?
Pittsburgh would have had one timeout left plus the two minute warning, right?

My head is aching trying to think about this as I type.

1st down, kneel, clock stops at 2:00
2nd down, kneel, clock stops at 1:55 by timeout from Pittsburgh
3rd down, kneel, clock goes down to 1:15
4th down, kick FG, clock goes down to 1:10

GB 31 - Pitt 30

Then we kickoff, who knows how much of a return we give up. Steelers only need to get to the 33 to be in field goal range.

I don't know if I like that idea too much. That's not even factoring in that Crosby is less than automatic to put it kindly.

I think we went about it the right way offensively, save that I feel we should have ran the ball a few more times to eat up the clock to get it under the 2:00 warning. I don't like giving the other team a free timeout like that.

I don't like how we played so cautiously against them on defense. If Brandon Chillar doesn't commit that penalty, do we still get the interception? If so, we win.

Bottom line, our defense should have been able to hold the Steelers from going 81 yards in 125 or so seconds.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
No Zero, because the throw and catch and kneel would have stayed inbounds - the clock would have been wound down to 2 minutes for the 1st down play. The first down play would start at 2:00 and wind downwards. I did go through the clock management in my first post 😉
blank
shield4life
14 years ago

This is something that has been floating around in my head for a bit. Rodgers lofts one to James Jones who takes it over his head, and runs it in for a TD. That's 6 points to go up 34-30. Roethlisberger has 2:06 to lead a come back drive with 1 TO left.

Scenario 2:

James Jones takes the catch and runs it to the 1 yard line and takes a knee. Packers have a 1st down with 2:00 left. Steelers have 1 TO left.

Rodgers takes a knee. That's 1:57 with Steelers TO. Rodgers takes another knee. 1:17 left on the clock after the 40 second runoff. Rodgers takes a third knee. 0:37 left, kick a field goal from about 25 yards out (lets leave the "Crosby would miss it anyway" rants out of this one).

That gives Roethlisberger 0:37 to move into FG range for a game winning kick by Reed, but no TO left.

Hmmmm.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Good scenario would work, good post. I say he should of done it. 37 seconds left for Pits to get in FG. Assuming you kick the ball that's another 2-4 seconds at least meaning they'd have about 32 seconds to get in FG position with no T.O. could of worked.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
If we were in the lead already, I would say sure, hit the deck and run the clock. We were behind. You never, ever IMO pass on a score when you are behind.

Maybe he could have run slower and chewed up the 3 seconds so that last play never happens.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
14 years ago
haha pft, good idea.

someone mentioned westbrook, but if i'm not mistaken, the eagles were winning at that point. we were losing, and only ~2 min left. take the score that requires them to score a TD...as zero mentioned, and I have before...i don't know how the hell Cullen DIDN'T take down BR, and if not for chillar's penalty, there is no discussion.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I don't understand the reasoning some are expressing here. Why are you assuming the Packers would have kicked a field goal? They could have burned some time off the clock and still gone for a touchdown.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

No Zero, because the throw and catch and kneel would have stayed inbounds - the clock would have been wound down to 2 minutes for the 1st down play. The first down play would start at 2:00 and wind downwards. I did go through the clock management in my first post ;)

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Ahh, very good, yes it would have.

That would change my thinking all together.

We did have Quinn Johnson activated so I think maybe we could have punched it in, if not, used a lot of time off the clock with three runs.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
what we should have done is stop the damn steelers from scoring in 1 min.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (20h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3m / Around The NFL / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.